Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > best router

best router
shmerek
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2001, 06:40 PM

Does anyone use a router for their broadband connection if so which are the best models, brands etc?

<SpinyNorman>
Jun 13, 2001, 07:02 PM

If by "best" you're referring to easy-to-configure and lowest cost then go with the SMC Barricade. I've installed 4 so far without a glitch. They're running $49 post-rebate. It shares the same innards as the Asante and 3Com, so don't overspend.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2001, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
<STRONG>Does anyone use a router for their broadband connection if so which are the best models, brands etc?</STRONG>
I like the Linksys BEFSR41. It has 4 ports, is easy to setup and works like a charm.
Do you want Airport compatability built in?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2001, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
<STRONG>

I like the Linksys BEFSR41. It has 4 ports, is easy to setup and works like a charm.</STRONG>
I have had the LynkSys and The MacSense. The MacSense is much better for Mac's. Easyer to set up and better feedback to the user.

Macsense is the best one that I know of: http://www.xsense.com/Product/mih130.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2001, 12:03 PM

<STRONG>

I like the Linksys BEFSR41. It has 4 ports, is easy to setup and works like a charm.
Do you want Airport compatability built in?</STRONG>
I don't need airport compatability. I just need something to give me a solid uninteruppted connection. I am on bell sympatico high speed and the software they have to connect is useless it always disconnects me. I am useing another bit of software to connect now but it is unreliable as well just not as bad as the bell shyt. The router seems like the best solution plus most of them have built in firewalls. It will help me cut down my extensions too.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 12:59 PM

<STRONG>
I don't need airport compatability. I just need something to give me a solid uninteruppted connection. I am on bell sympatico high speed and the software they have to connect is useless it always disconnects me. I am useing another bit of software to connect now but it is unreliable as well just not as bad as the bell shyt. The router seems like the best solution plus most of them have built in firewalls. It will help me cut down my extensions too. </STRONG>
I highly recomend the Linksys. You can read a review of it (and most other routers) from practicallynetworked.com. This web site is a great resource. I've also heard you can get one for under $100 these days, though don't quote me on this. I spent (I think) $179 for mine and have zero regrets.
Cliff

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2001, 07:10 PM

<STRONG>

I highly recomend the Linksys. You can read a review of it (and most other routers) from practicallynetworked.com. This web site is a great resource. I've also heard you can get one for under $100 these days, though don't quote me on this. I spent (I think) $179 for mine and have zero regrets.
Cliff</STRONG>
I think I am leaning towards the linksys but I have heard that updating the firmware on it is a bitch. Did you have any problems if you had to upgrade it?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2001, 07:30 PM

Ugh, skip the linksys... No mac documentation, and I just cannot seem to make some programs (like AIM) have access to the outside, stupid port forwarding/DMZ host/disabling firewall NEVER works (so I can't transfer files in AIM).

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 07:36 PM

I have the Linksys and I think it works great. However I recently encountered the AIM file transfer problem. I didn't know what it was, but I remember that I had been messing with the port forwarding stuff. So if you want good mac documentation then get the Linksys.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2001, 08:57 PM

Those of you with the linksys does it ever drop the connection? I want to get a router because my connection software drops the connection. I don't want to spend 200 (Cdn) just to have the same problem. Anybody use netgear?

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: shmerek ]

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 09:11 PM

<STRONG>
I think I am leaning towards the linksys but I have heard that updating the firmware on it is a bitch. Did you have any problems if you had to upgrade it?</STRONG>
I've read about those firmware upgrade problems as well. I just plugged mine in and it worked. I was going to give it a try once, but why bother. Like I said it worked, no problem whatsoever. If you do need to upgrade, it is always possible through a FTP app, and I believe the upgrades are even easier these days. I've had mine connected to my cable connection for almost 6 months now. I have NEVER been dropped. For me this device is almost boring, it just goes.
I don't use AIM, so I can't comment there. But I do have a G4, iMac and HP LaserJet 6MP connected to it, all of which work together flawlessly.
Cliff

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2001, 12:43 AM

<STRONG>
I don't need airport compatability. I just need something to give me a solid uninteruppted connection. I am on bell sympatico high speed and the software they have to connect is useless it always disconnects me. </STRONG>
I am also on Sympatico in Toronto. I have the MacSence, my friend has the LinkSys (also on sympatico).
My MacSense worked out of the box with AIM and all other apps with no configuring. It also tells me how long I have been connected.
Updating the ROM was easy and they have awesome Mac support.

My friends LinkSys was hard as hell to set up with AIM and drops his connection all the time. The problem is that it does not tell you how long you have been connected, just that you are connected. They also have BAD Mac support.

Spend the extra $30 and get the Macsense.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2001, 09:35 AM

I am also on Sympatico and using a Linksys router for a few weeks. Product has worked flawlessly. No dropped connections, I can now sleep without crashing the computer (thanks Access Manager), and get reliable speeds. Unfortunately, Linksys support is non-existent. Called for support - got a call back three days later - I'm not kidding you. I already sorted out the problem by then (Router wasn't working with dynamic IP address - I had to specify one for some reason - Sympatico users, perhaps you could tell me your setup?), but it took a long time. So it worked, but setting it up was a bit of a pain.

If you're looking for quality and support, the asante router seems the best bet for Macs (Not sure about Macsense). I know Asante's tech support is excellent. I would definately have gone this route, esepcialy with their print server function, but was able to find the Linksys used, so I saved quite a few bucks this way. I'm sure lots of these are floating around for sale, so look around if you're willing to buy used and want to save a few bucks. Asante also offers a two port router with airport capability (upgrade by buying a card, so if airport is in your future, you might want to look into this).

BTW, I'm running four computers (2 Macs and 2 PCs) on it without problems. Setting up the computer end of it was not difficult at all, just the router's connection to Sympatico.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

<SpinyNorman>
Jun 15, 2001, 11:56 AM

As stated above, the SMC IS THE SAME AS THE ASANTE, and is interchangeably flash-upgradeable with the Asante software, but it's a far better value. The Linksys may be more popular, but the Barricade is an outstanding deal for a flawless unit.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2001, 04:31 AM

My Linksys router's fiirmware was updated with no trouble. This was on my PC, though, and I am not sure whether or not you will experience such a seamless update when on a Mac. Perhaps you should go with the MacSense.[/LIST][/LIST]

<Raman-macnnisslow>
Jun 16, 2001, 12:09 PM

<STRONG>Does anyone use a router for their broadband connection if so which are the best models, brands etc?</STRONG>
I like the Sears Craftsman models. They have an excellent warranty - way better than linksys, or any other brand I know.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2001, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by milhaus:
<STRONG>I am also on Sympatico and using a Linksys router for a few weeks. Product has worked flawlessly. No dropped connections,
</STRONG>
I am just wondering how you know your connection does not get dropped and then reconnects if the LinkSys does not show how long you have been connected for.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 01:44 PM

I use Asante's FriendlyNet router. FR3004C. It works great. It gives me added security in a firewall and it took 10 mins to set up out the box. Very happy with the product. I bought mine from Smalldog.com. 149.99. They are running a special. There's also a 10.00 rebate from Asante.
It's just my humble opinion.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2001, 01:44 PM

3 gigs of binary dowloads yesterday and not a hitch? No seriously, I don't really know whether or not I've been dropped and reconnected, but it's been completely reliable. Of course, I'd prefer an asante or even MacSense, but do you see what Canadian Mac Dealers do to the prices - and it's fairly difficult to get these through the cheap PC shops. I went for the LinkSys, acknowledging their crap support, because it was going to be over $100 cheaper than an Asante or MacSense. Works fine, though now I wish I'd waited for the Asante Wireless model.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2001, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by milhaus:
<STRONG>I went for the LinkSys, acknowledging their crap support, because it was going to be over $100 cheaper than an Asante or MacSense. Works fine, though now I wish I'd waited for the Asante Wireless model.</STRONG>
The MacSense is $30 CND then the Link Sys.

MacSense http://www.microwarehouse.ca/product.asp?sku=DEB2944

LinkSys http://www.microwarehouse.ca/product.asp?sku=DEB2730

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2001, 11:12 PM

Yes, but the Macsense you can only get from Mac dealers in TO, and the prices are all around that level. The Linksys you can find for $175 at various places in Toronto, or buy it second hand for $140 CDN, which is what I did. That's where the $100 savings comes in. I'm not saying Linksys is better by any means - their support stinks - but if you're on a budget, there are ways to get this item far cheaper than the MacSense or the Asante.

WarrenKramer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 08:23 PM

I just set up a MaxGate UGate 3200P.
I had borrowed a DLink DI 704 which was fine,
but I needed more than the standard 4 ports.

The UGate has 7 ports plus a print server.

Costs a bit more than the 4 port ones, which
run about $90 to $100 bucks or so, the Ugate
was $130 after rebate but it's great, the
extra ports and the advanced admin tools make
it well worth the investment. You can find
a review of it here:
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/2434/4/

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2001, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by WarrenKramer:
<STRONG>
The UGate has 7 ports plus a print server.
</STRONG>
Does it support PPPoE?

bkolasin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2001, 12:58 PM

Mr. Spiny,

I found the barricade for $79.95 post-rebate at outpost (http://shop3.outpost.com/product/61183)... while that is a good deal relative to the typically &gt;$100 price tag on these routers, I am curious as to where you found it for $49.95.

Also, did the founder of this forum (sorry I forgot your name) consider the possibility that the service may actually be dropping out and not your software? I've heard (and experienced) really really annoying instability w/ DSL, but I've never had a problem with cable.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by bkolasin:
<STRONG>Mr. Spiny,

I found the barricade for $79.95 post-rebate at outpost (http://shop3.outpost.com/product/61183)... while that is a good deal relative to the typically &gt;$100 price tag on these routers, I am curious as to where you found it for $49.95.

Also, did the founder of this forum (sorry I forgot your name) consider the possibility that the service may actually be dropping out and not your software? I've heard (and experienced) really really annoying instability w/ DSL, but I've never had a problem with cable.</STRONG>
I am positive that the sofware they provide drops the connection as much as it can. Sometimes it would cut me off as soon as I logged in because it said I was "idle" for too long. When I first signed on to the sevice there was no software required and the connection was totally solid and it never went down. They they brought in this stupid access manager software and it would drop like crazy. I am now using macPoET to connect to the internet and it still drops occasionally but not nearly as often. I am hoping the a hardware router would cut this down even more. There is nothing more annoying that starting a download, going out and then coming back to find out that it cut the connection two seconds after you left. I think I might have found a good deal on a SMC barricade we will see. Thanks to everyone for their input it has been quite helpful.

<SpinyNorman>
Jun 19, 2001, 01:44 AM

The SMC was at Computers4Sure and other retailers, but the rebate ended 6/17.

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2001, 11:01 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I ended up ordering a SMC Barricade at $126 Cdn (with rebate).

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2001, 02:50 AM

<STRONG>

I am positive that the sofware they provide drops the connection as much as it can. Sometimes it would cut me off as soon as I logged in because it said I was "idle" for too long. </STRONG>
It is actually the bad software. With my router I stay connected for about 12 days and then it reconnects on it's own.

Good luck with your router!

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2001, 02:03 PM

If anyone cares I just set up my SMC Barricade router it took about a minute and it seems to be working pretty well. Sweet! Lets see how she works!

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2001, 05:12 PM

<STRONG>If anyone cares I just set up my SMC Barricade router it took about a minute and it seems to be working pretty well. Sweet! Lets see how she works!</STRONG>
Make sure all your internet apps work, like napster/ quicktime streaming and AIM.

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 10:32 PM

Hey, I'm dragging this one out to get some opinions.

Basically, I can get the
  • -Hawkings or the LinkSys (1 port) for $80
    SMC for $105
    MacSense for $130.
Is the LinkSys really that bad/not worth it? Because $50 is a lot of money to my dad (who is paying for this). Any recent/past opinions would be great... thanks

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

shmerek  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2001, 01:26 AM

I am loving my SMC Barricade it was super easy to set up less than 3 minutes and it has been rock solid since. I heard too many bad things about the linksys I would recommend the SMC.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2001, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Avenir:
<STRONG>Is the LinkSys really that bad/not worth it?</STRONG>
The Linksys is an excellent router. I haven't had a single problem w/ it. Read the review at Practically Networked. Also, I believe tou can get the 4 port model for under $100.
Cliff

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: aaanorton ]

euro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 10:04 PM

Avenir,
I just saw the Linksys 4 port for 98 bucks at buy.com. I have used the MacSense for about a year now without the slightest glitch - they do have great support and Mac documentation but I'd venture a bet that you'll be fine with Linksys if you are on a tight budget and willing to put up with no Mac support (chances are you won't need the support anyway)

Euro

Forum Links
Forum Rules