Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac 350 slot questions

imac 350 slot questions
Rich Jercha
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 10:27 PM

I have an iMac 350 slot loading (CDROM) machine that I just recieved from a friend.
She said it needed a new hard drive "or somethin' " but it worked fine and booted 9.0 when i first turned it on. It has 64 megs of ram, no vga connector, and no firewire. After being on for a while the screen turned off, and I restarted, zapped the p-ram, and also tried leaving it on, but the screen stays off. What could be causing this problem?
Richie

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2005, 11:25 PM

How long did it run for the first time? Sounds like something is going wrong when the machine gets a little warm. Have you tried booting it again once it had a change to cool down?

Is it showing a green light when it's turned on? Does it sound like it's booting normally?

Rich Jercha  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by bradoesch
How long did it run for the first time? Sounds like something is going wrong when the machine gets a little warm. Have you tried booting it again once it had a change to cool down?

Is it showing a green light when it's turned on? Does it sound like it's booting normally?
It does show a green light and sounds as though it's booting normally. It even sleeps and wakes up if i hit the power button on the computer twice.

Rich Jercha  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 05:16 AM

I don't know how long it was on the first time before the screen died, I left it off for about 8 hours today and just turned it on and there is no video, but its booting normally (sound-wise and the noises of the hard drive).

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 09:27 AM

When you zapped the pram how many chimes did you hear before you let go of the keys?

Maybe you should try the CUDA reset button. Open the memory door on the iMac's bum and looking for a little black button near the pram battery. Make sure the computer is off and hold this button down for 10 seconds. See if that helps.

Rich Jercha  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bradoesch
When you zapped the pram how many chimes did you hear before you let go of the keys?

Maybe you should try the CUDA reset button. Open the memory door on the iMac's bum and looking for a little black button near the pram battery. Make sure the computer is off and hold this button down for 10 seconds. See if that helps.
Last time I zapped the pram I first heard the startup chime, then waited for it to chime again. This time I waited for the 3rd chime and was yet unsuccessful. I tried the cuda button too, I pressed it for a few seconds twice, but that didn't work either. The machine was unplugged as well when i pressed the cuda.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 05:27 PM

I keep thinking analog board but I'm not sure if that was more of an issue with the tray-loaders than the slot-loaders. I'm sure somebody will come along with more information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules