Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 Power issues. .

iBook G4 Power issues. .
daillestflow27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2006, 01:08 PM

I have an iBook G4 (1.07ghz model). Heres the problem: If plugged in to the power adapter, the iBook runs, but won't charge the battery and no colors appear around the power input for the iBook. If I place a battery charged else where in the iBook it runs. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the D/C power board module? Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecaited.

daillestflow27  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 12:52 PM

Well, I've decided to buy a replacement DC power board. I checked pbfixit and got the install instructions. So wish me good luck and I'll let ya'll know the result.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2006, 03:59 PM

Definitely let us know, I'm curious to learn how it works out. Good luck!!

Chris

JAVA4ALL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by daillestflow27
I have an iBook G4 (1.07ghz model). Heres the problem: If plugged in to the power adapter, the iBook runs, but won't charge the battery and no colors appear around the power input for the iBook. If I place a battery charged else where in the iBook it runs. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the D/C power board module? Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprecaited.
I had the same experience, just this week, on my barely 1-year-old iBook G4, with one small difference: the color halo displayed green (battery fully charged) when it should have shown orange (battery charging). Even left charging overnight, the battery charge never went over 30%, the date/time had to be re-set several times, AND the Energy Saver in System Preferences has all but vanished (only the icon remains as shown in Sys Pref) -- when I click on it, it says it's loading.....but it never displays.

Per the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, here are the instructions that solved MOST of these issues (Energy Saver is still MIA): do an Archive and Install, electing to save User Preferences, etc.; update your software to current standards, and replace your battery. If you go to the Apple.com home page and scroll to the bottom, you can enter your battery's serial number and it may be among those that are being exchanged for free under the Battery Replacement Program. Although I hadn't experienced any "hot battery" problems, it turned out mine was one of those that could cause overheating and power problems. Perhaps yours will qualify too.

"Archive and Install" takes about 1 1/2 hours, updating the software will vary according to the release date of your Install disks (the 18 updates I needed took about 1 3/4 hours). It only took 2 business days for the new battery to arrive -- yippee! -- and I'm free to roam again.

Best of luck, I hope this info helps.

BTW, if anyone out there has an idea or clue about how I can resurrect Energy Saver, please bring it on :-)

daillestflow27  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2006, 05:52 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. Had to wait on paypal to resolve the despute so I could get the laptop back. It took all of 10 mins to replace the D/C board and I am happy to report it fixed the problem! I also like to say thanks to ifixit (formally pbfixit) for the instructions and this board for the help!

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by daillestflow27
Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. Had to wait on paypal to resolve the despute so I could get the laptop back. It took all of 10 mins to replace the D/C board and I am happy to report it fixed the problem! I also like to say thanks to ifixit (formally pbfixit) for the instructions and this board for the help!
Glad to see you fixed it!
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Forum Links
Forum Rules