Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BlacBook may have flaking problems with its matte black finish (Pic!)

BlacBook may have flaking problems with its matte black finish (Pic!) (Page 4)
rcl1221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
It's not Eug's, it belongs to mac off, who started this other thread about it.
Went to the Santa Monica Apple store where I got the computer, and they gave me a new one right away.

I'm impressed.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 12:04 AM

I was a skeptic until I saw it for myself tonight at the Apple Store in Cincinnati.

Originally Posted by amazing
This thread is now at 13 pages of comments. There has not been a single corroboration of the original allegation of plastic flaking off on the BlackBook. Nor has any turned up anywhere else on the web.

What's that tell ya?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 12:06 AM

Yeah... okay but you have to admit it's a little girly.

Originally Posted by Mongoos150
I agree with previous posters - the white is NOT girly!!! It's very contemporary and modern. In my in-store experience, the black (which scratches extremely easily, and not always buff-able) will look absolutely horrid in months of average use. Even in its new, unspoiled splendor, the white IMO is much more attractive. The white disguises scratches and fingerprints like the black cannot do, it's shiny (personal preference), the black looks like it has a chalkboard finish. Yuck. It just feels nasty (to the touch) - and yes, I think it looks like any other Dell or Gateway notebook. White for me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2006, 03:38 AM

No no no - it's "contemporary and modern" (= metrosexual).

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 06:30 AM

Those of you who believe that a neutral color like white is "girly" must have some kind of Freudian-like "white finish envy".

MissViciousVixen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 08:05 AM

Goodness, talk about small-penis-uber-geekness! Some of these sorry homophobic souls on here get their World of Warcraft panties in a tiz over white being too effeminate? Sugar, there is nothing more EFFEMINATE than an uber geek stressing over the color of his laptop. Hun. Honestly. Focus more on getting a lapdance than your laptop.

Miss Vixen here will help you. Step away from the Apple store and rubbing your fat little fingers across the black or white MacBook to see if it scratches, or warps, or twists your chubby male udder t*ttys from here to Mars. Proceed to your nearest Hooters bar. Order some buffalo wings and observe the real power of silicon--in the oversized bobbies of those lucious Hooter girls.

Ta! Ta! (or is that T*t for Tat?)

Miss Vicious Vixen (these-t*ts-may-be-fake-but-they-are-guaranteed-not-to-flake) Mission Stardust
"I can't believe its not butter!"

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 08:27 AM

I feel for those who are having issues with the finish on their black macbooks.

I was soo tempted to buy a black macbook but threads like this and in other forums kind of scared me away from the black model. One of ther requirements I had in buying the MB over the MBP was its durability. The aluminum is easily bent and I wanted something a little more resiliant.

Also the increase in cost, its not worth paying an extra 200 just for a black laptop. The more I start seeing posts of people who have issues with the black finish just reinforces the idea that I chose the right option.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Those of you who believe that a neutral color like white is "girly" must have some kind of Freudian-like "white finish envy".
Whatever gets you through the night.

cql
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by MissViciousVixen
Goodness, talk about small-penis-uber-geekness! Some of these sorry homophobic souls on here get their World of Warcraft panties in a tiz over white being too effeminate? Sugar, there is nothing more EFFEMINATE than an uber geek stressing over the color of his laptop. Hun. Honestly. Focus more on getting a lapdance than your laptop.

Miss Vixen here will help you. Step away from the Apple store and rubbing your fat little fingers across the black or white MacBook to see if it scratches, or warps, or twists your chubby male udder t*ttys from here to Mars. Proceed to your nearest Hooters bar. Order some buffalo wings and observe the real power of silicon--in the oversized bobbies of those lucious Hooter girls.

Ta! Ta! (or is that T*t for Tat?)

Miss Vicious Vixen (these-t*ts-may-be-fake-but-they-are-guaranteed-not-to-flake) Mission Stardust
There is no need to be offended by my opinion that the white is girly, maybe its girly for me and not for others. I don't chose the color of my macbook for what others like...i choose it for me. If you like white then get white...if you don't like white then get black. It that simple, just chill out poeple. BTW what heck are you rambling about.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by cql
There is no need to be offended by my opinion that the white is girly, maybe its girly for me and not for others.
Do you own a PowerMac? If so then you know it came with a "girly" white keyboard and mouse. I think most people would classify the PowerMac as a fairly "masculine" machine. Do you own a pre-5G iPod? If so then you own a "girly" iPod. In fact your black Macbook comes with a white "girly" power cable.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 03:43 AM

Okay, so let's summarize the current thinking:

If you like white you are a flaming homosexual who would like to wear ribbons in your girly hair, and it doesn't matter if you have 18 children by 5 different women, you are still as gay as Apple's rainbow logo used to be.

If you like black you an iron pumping symbol of masculinity. And style. You are as stylish as a Ferrari dipped in essence of Gucci.

If you like aluminum, you are an alien from another planet. You are waiting to hitchhike home on the next comet, except you won't get the signal because your WiFi reception sucks.

And if you see flakes on an BlackBook, you've probably been taking acid.

All clear now!

PJJames
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 04:04 AM

Lets all just enjoy our computers....it's sooooo childish talkin about white being girly or black being manly. This is a forum for issues or praise not blasting one anothers sexuality over the color of a computer.
Full Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered Rig.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
The aluminum is easily bent
No, it is not. My 12" PB wore very well.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
The 12" Powerbook is a very different animal, and more robust.

Many, many 15" Powerbooks I've seen have the right palmrest slightly bent down along the top edge of the DVD slot, some actually narrowed down so far that the DVD gets stuck.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
I cannot speak for the 12", but the 15" has a reputation of being easily bent. I've seen plenty of reports of people dropping their PB a short distance and the side or corner was woefully bent. Many of these reports mentioned that this accident occured while in a protective case which is the scary thing.

I own a PB and never dropped it (knocks on wood) so I cannot afirm this first hand but reason I purchased the MB was its durable case and reports of flacking/wearing finish on the black macbook pushed me to the white one. I really wanted a black one, but I just didn't want to take a chance. Plus paying an extra 200 for the black one didn't seem to make sense to me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
One of ther requirements I had in buying the MB over the MBP was its durability. The aluminum is easily bent and I wanted something a little more resiliant.
Yes...if you drop a bowling ball on it.

Also the increase in cost, its not worth paying an extra 200 just for a black laptop. The more I start seeing posts of people who have issues with the black finish just reinforces the idea that I chose the right option.
I agree. It definitely LOOKS cooler at first. Seeing it in the Apple store, it hypnotized me. The very chance that it might possibly, maybe, worst-case scenario start flaking is also enough for me to say, "$150 more for flaking? White it is."

My wife (who barely uses computers) said to me, "Why would you get the black? It's $150 more. The white ones look like an Apple computer. The black ones look like (my brother-in-law)'s ugly PC.

Trying to sell my PowerBook now. Hopefully getting the MacBook within the month.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
"Why would you get the black? It's $150 more. The white ones look like an Apple computer. The black ones look like (my brother-in-law)'s ugly PC.
The last word that should ever be used for the black MacBook is "ugly".

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 11:22 AM

I agree. It definitely LOOKS cooler at first. Seeing it in the Apple store, it hypnotized me....
These are my words.

Originally Posted by Jawbone's Wife
"Why would you get the black? It's $150 more. The white ones look like an Apple computer. The black ones look like (my brother-in-law)'s ugly PC.
These are my wife's.

One thing to notice is that the people coming into the Apple Store gravitate towards the black MacBook IMMEDIATELY. It's as if there's some sort of strange magnetic pull forcing them to come closer to the black and completely ignore the whites.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 12:42 PM

My BlackBook looks excellent. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously wrong.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
My BlackBook looks excellent. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously wrong.
Yeah right. It's all smudged up and outside of the glowing Apple logo it looks like every other Windows laptop.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 01:52 PM

These are my wife's.
If my boyfriend called a BlackBook ugly he would be my ex in no time

Luckily for him he said it was "really sexy" and looks forward to me getting mine this week.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mathew_m
Yeah right. It's all smudged up and outside of the glowing Apple logo it looks like every other Windows laptop.
Here's my free advice for you pal, try soap and learn to eat with knife and fork.

And btw, if other than the white Apple logo you see no difference between the BlackBook and 'every other Windows laptop', you should buy a Dell. Any esthetics or design effort is obviously wasted on you.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 5, 2006 at 02:33 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Here's my free advice for you pal, try soap and learn to eat with knife and fork.

And btw, if other than the white Apple logo you see no difference between the BlackBook and 'every other Windows laptop', you should buy a Dell. Any esthetics or design effort is obviously wasted on you.
Way to be civil, dude.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 04:01 PM

Also, I thought matthew_m was making a joke, in telling Hi I'm Ben that the latter's computer was smudged, something which matthew_m really wouldn't know, would he?
Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Yes, but Jawbone is married, which means he has to weigh carefully all those little things we lucky daters can just capriciously dump people for.. Divorce ain't cheap.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 04:12 PM

Speaking of soap, look how nice and clean this particular white Macbook looks.

http://flickr.com/photos/jowie/15411...n/photostream/

and another

http://flickr.com/photos/yasuo1024/154079201/

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo

Luckily for him he said it was "really sexy" and looks forward to me getting mine this week.

Luckily for my wife, I realize that she's not an Apple aficianado, otherwise the black MacBook would mean more to her. My friend is getting his in sometime this week. If I'm impressed enough, I'll order a black one as soon as my PowerBook sells.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Yes, but Jawbone is married, which means he has to weigh carefully all those little things we lucky daters can just capriciously dump people for.. Divorce ain't cheap.
Good call, my friend!

I can see the look on the lawyer's face when I tell him that my wife and I are ending our two-month old marriage of a disagreement concerning a new Apple notebook's color.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Many, many 15" Powerbooks I've seen have the right palmrest slightly bent down along the top edge of the DVD slot, some actually narrowed down so far that the DVD gets stuck.
I think this is partially why the 15" MBP has the 9.5 mm optical drive, so the slot is lower in the front face and so is a little sturdier.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2006, 04:02 AM

Actually, it got better on the last one or two generations when they added an extra clip for the top case to hook into just above the optical drive slot.

The MBP's 9.5 mm optical drive has more to do with the fact that the MBP is a few mm thinner than the Powerbook was.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 12:31 AM

So far, my BlacBook has no flaking - at all...No complaints. The only minor thing I notice is that the wide mouse button is less responsive at the left-most end (1/3rd of the bar) The center and right are very responsive.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

rcl1221
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 02:03 AM

If you flip the computer over and take out the battery and press on the little metal circle, it helps with the trackpad button. Push it in a little. I've also heard that sticking a piece of paper in there (folded up) works.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
So far, my BlacBook has no flaking - at all...No complaints. The only minor thing I notice is that the wide mouse button is less responsive at the left-most end (1/3rd of the bar) The center and right are very responsive.

I had this problem with my right side. I thought it might just be how the MacBook was. I went to the Apple store and the genius and i went around and touched some other trackpads, they worked right. Since they just swaped my HD into a new MacBook I was alright with exchanging it for the problem.

Since I really never use that button due to sidetrack I probably wouldn't bother returning it again though.

j0nkatz
Jun 7, 2006, 09:00 AM

The trolling in here is worse than Slashdot.

edolecki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 09:10 AM

I would like to repaint my blackbook pink. Seriously.

You guys are funny.

MissViciousVixen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by cql
There is no need to be offended by my opinion that the white is girly, maybe its girly for me and not for others. I don't chose the color of my macbook for what others like...i choose it for me. If you like white then get white...if you don't like white then get black. It that simple, just chill out poeple. BTW what heck are you rambling about.
What am I rambling about sugar? Nothing less than the nonsense posted here about black vs. white and manly vs. girly. I still say go get a transexual lap dance.
"I can't believe its not butter!"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2006, 03:02 AM

Something tells me we're going to hear a lot more about this

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1802

than about the alleged 'flaking' of the BlackBook.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2006, 12:05 AM

Thats the choice I faced too.

"Possible" flaking or dirty palm rest syndrome.

I took my chances with potential flaking. I am hoping my OCD and the WaterField sleeve will help prevent any flaking.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 01:29 AM

Is flaking covered by AppleCare? It's a defect in the process or product (esp if you use a case for it!!)

But I see dirty palm rests as well 'your hands are dirty' - = no applecare

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 07:37 AM

Keep it stored in the box or take it out and use it. Those are the fundamental choices.

FTIW, I was taking a good look at a black macbook yesterday and talked to a PC laptop owner. By feel we decided the black macbook, being *coated* apparently, vice the clear plastic on the white macbook, will wear with use over time no matter what - Just like his IBM laptops have done.

I've tried the "scratch test" on several black macbooks now w/ no results.

Some of you need to put your big-boy pants on and put the lid on the "as my ibook goes, so goes my ego and self esteem" headtrip.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

Forum Links
Forum Rules