Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Dead? I hope not.

iMac Dead? I hope not.
Duracell
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 03:02 AM

Ahoy there! Hopefully one or two of you can give me a hand before I shell out some money to get it looked at (only just went out of it's warranty)

My iMac (specs in sig - second from last revision before the intel iMacs) seems to have died on me! I got home from work yesterday, turned it on, I saw the light come on walked off to change from my work clothes and everything else I do when I get home..

Came back - It was off, I thought maybe I held the power button too long and actually switched it off or something, so I pressed it again. The light came on for about 3 seconds, it did it's nice tune and it turned off again.

I did this a couple more times, each time the light stayed on for less time - Now, it just has no life in it at all.

Every other appliance in the house works fine even on that plug socket - my other two Macs work fine, the iMac was on a surge protected plug, etc, etc

Anyone able to help!

Edit - worth noting that the only thing that has changed since I got it was two new sticks of RAM - Both from crucial.com
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

dale
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 03:12 AM

I'd try putting the old memory back in.

Mind you - if you went to the trouble of trying every electrical appliance in the house to prove the socket wasn't at fault, I suspect you already tried swapping back the memory.

I'm on my first Mac, and touch wod have never hand any problems. Just wanted to drop you a note to say, good luck in getting it fixed soon. There must be someone here thats electronically minded enough to help you.

Duracell  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by dale
I'd try putting the old memory back in.

Mind you - if you went to the trouble of trying every electrical appliance in the house to prove the socket wasn't at fault, I suspect you already tried swapping back the memory.

I'm on my first Mac, and touch wod have never hand any problems. Just wanted to drop you a note to say, good luck in getting it fixed soon. There must be someone here thats electronically minded enough to help you.
Cheers!

And yes, I tried swapping the crucial RAM with the original RAM, still no luck though
iPhone & iPod Touch

Duracell  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Duracell
Cheers!

And yes, I tried swapping the crucial RAM with the original RAM, still no luck though
As I didnt have internet access untill I got to work just now I've not been able to really research the problem. I found this - iMac G5: Troubleshooting when your computer won't turn on though, would it be best to run though this? Or doesn't my problem relate to it?

I know, "It won't turn on" is a bit vague
iPhone & iPod Touch

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 08:05 AM

Follow the steps in that guide. If that doesn't work, take it to an Apple Store Genius immediately. Your iMac may be eligible for a free repair even if it's out of warrranty.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 8, 2006, 08:15 AM

Isn't that guide for the Rev. A iMac G5 though? I don't think you can and are not supposed to disassemble any of the other iMacs after the Rev. A G5.

I'd look up resetting the PMU/SMU on your iMac.

Duracell  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Follow the steps in that guide. If that doesn't work, take it to an Apple Store Genius immediately. Your iMac may be eligible for a free repair even if it's out of warrranty.
That's not really an option, sadly - The nearest store is London and I can't really justify the ride up there at the moment. I will however phone them up if that guide doesn't work!

Thanks for the help!
iPhone & iPod Touch

Dave B
Sep 9, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
Isn't that guide for the Rev. A iMac G5 though? I don't think you can and are not supposed to disassemble any of the other iMacs after the Rev. A G5.
Rev C is when they redesigned the slimmer case, and made it an unholy PITA to open...

Also, remove anything plugged into USB, firewire, and ethernet ports
(as indicated in service manual) and see if it will boot. Also, try booting in
safe mode by holding down shift key. This disables non-Apple extensions.
Pismo 400 Mhz 512MB 80GB 7500RPM Tiger/OS 9
iMac G5 20" 2 Ghz Rev B 250GB 2 GB RAM Tiger
iMac G3 600 Mhz 384MB 160GB 7500RPM Airport CD-RW Tiger/OS 9
iMac 233 Mhz 384MB 80 GB 7500RPM, MCE 24X CD-RW Tiger/OS 9

Forum Links
Forum Rules