Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 17)
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
We do?
It's what a spokesperson of Apple Germany said.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2007/1/10/6569

Edit:
If that's the same spokesperson who talked to Macwelt and told them that Flash and Java will definitely be supported, then we should probably wait until the device is released before we draw any final conclusions.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
We do?
I thought someone said it did, but this article says otherwise.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 02:49 PM

Nevermind, Gossamer beat me to linking the Intel article.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 02:52 PM

Hmm... On my K790a (EDGE) I just started a picture message upload and then dialed a call. The upload continued, and the call dialed just fine. The upload took a long time though, and didn't finish until my short call was over though.

I don't know if it's because it just stopped the upload when I started the call (but didn't tell me it stopped the upload), or if it was because it had limited bandwidth.

And yeah, we know the iPhone does NOT have an Intel CPU.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 02:57 PM

^ Any idea who makes the procesor?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 03:05 PM

According to the article I posted, Apple hasn't said anything yet.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
^ Any idea who makes the procesor?
According to Arstechnica, it's Samsung.

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
We know that it contains an Intel CPU and Intel doesn't make the XScale ARM any more. And the iPhone's OS contains Cocoa according to one slide in the keynote.
Intel is NOT making the CPU for the iPhone.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
4) COVERAGE. It is so limited in parts of the US now and they charge a premium.
It's not as limited as you think. I'd wager that unannounced coverage probably encompasses the majority of the U.S. population now. I've flown to a number of cities in the past few months and all of them had 3G activated.

The real problem is that Cingular's current phones don't take good advantage of 3G. The Blackjack catches my eye, but its UI is still a sorry mess (as is the UI of just about every other cell phone manufacturer). The iPhone may be 3G's killer app(liance).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah, 3GSM coverage in the US is not bad now, especially in the more populated areas.

However, 3GSM coverage in Canada is virtually non-existent. (A few cities are testing it out.)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
We know that it contains an Intel CPU and Intel doesn't make the XScale ARM any more. And the iPhone's OS contains Cocoa according to one slide in the keynote.
If you're talking about Java support:

a) It doesn't have an Intel CPU.
b) It does not ship with all of Cocoa, namely AppKit. AppKit requires Aqua. So no, just because it has Objective C does not mean Java is going to "just work".
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
If you're talking about Java support:

a) It doesn't have an Intel CPU.
b) It does not ship with all of Cocoa, namely AppKit. AppKit requires Aqua. So no, just because it has Objective C does not mean Java is going to "just work".
Java and Flash are not supported.

Anyway, here it is: the ultimate iPhone Frequently Asked Questions list, complete with answers.

ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS:

Can it be used with anything but Cingular? –No.

Is it an “unlocked” phone, so I can use it with a carrier other than Cingular? –No.

Will there be a non-Cingular version? –Not within the first two years.

Can I put my T-Mobile SIM card in it instead of Cingular? –No.

But what if I keep asking? Then will it be available beyond Cingular? –No.

Can it run Mac OS X programs? –No.

Can I add new programs to it? –No. Apple wants to control the look and feel and behavior of every aspect of the phone.

Does it run programs from Palm, Symbian, Windows? –No.

Does it connect to iChat? –No.

Does it have games? –No.

Is it ambidextrous? –No.

Does it have GPS? –No.

Voice recognition? Voice dialing? Voice memos? –No, although this could change by June when the phone ships.

Does it get onto the HSDPA (3G) high-speed Internet network that Cingular has rolled out in a few cities? –No. But Steve Jobs said a later version of the iPhone will — once there’s enough HSDPA coverage in this country to justify it.

Does the Web browser support Flash or Java? –No.

Will it play music over Bluetooth? –Unknown.

Can you change the battery yourself? –No. You’ll have to send the phone in to Apple for battery replacement, just as with the iPods.

Can it open Word and Excel documents? –No. (Steve Jobs says it can open PDF files, though.)

Can you use it one-handed? –Yes, for some functions. But overall, it’s less convenient than on a phone with physical keys.

Can I make a call while driving a car? –Not as easily as on a regular cellphone with programmed speed-dial keys. (Besides–MUST you?)

Does the camera record video? –Not yet. Apple may add this feature by June.

Does it connect to standard iPod accessories like car docks and speaker systems? –Yes!

Does it work overseas? –Yes. It’s a quad-band GSM phone, meaning you can use it in almost any country (for an added fee, of course).

Is there a Verizon version? –NO!!!!

Will they make a non-cellphone version–a widescreen touch iPod? –Nobody knows. Apple doesn’t leak product info until it’s good and ready.

That scrolling through lists thing is glitzy, but what if I have 3,000 names in my address book? –There’s also an alphabet “index tab” down the right side of the screen, so you can jump to another spot in the list.

Is there a calendar? –Yes.

Will it sync with Outlook? –No.

What about airplane use? –It has a airplane mode (wireless off), just like any cellphone.

Won’t the screen get smudgy? –It does, but you don’t see it except when the screen is off. The one I played with was pretty streaky, but wiping it on my sleeve cleaned it completely.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 05:41 PM

Yeah, 3GSM coverage in the US is not bad now, especially in the more populated areas.
Don't have it here in Denver. This annoys me to no end. We're a top 25 city population-wise (ok, 26th but we're 2 thousand less than Boston), and cities like Tulsa have 3G and we don't. They just announced that we're getting the Democratic convention in 2008. Hopefully that will tweak Cingular into upgrading us sooner.

As for the iPhone, am I the only one who thinks that the voice mail feature is buried too deeply in the menus. I mean, the second most likely thing you're going to do with a phone (other than calling someone) is to check your voice mail. On every other phone on the planet it's one button away (hold the 1 key). On the iPhone it's 4 presses away (Home Key->Phone->Voicemail->Press the one you want to hear). They should place a button on the home screen that takes you directly to the list of messages. I mean SMS is a phone function and it's got a button on the home screen, so it should be ok to place other phone functions there too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets View Post
On every other phone on the planet it's one button away (hold the 1 key).
The difference is those DIAL a number, you enter your password (sometimes automatic), you have to listen to them blindly one at a time and have limited storage.

Managing them afterwords is a pain also.

So no, I think the tradeoffs and button presses are less actually.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 06:03 PM

Personally missing flash is more of a plus for me. I don't want Java apps for sure.

Can't think of the last time I have ever had the need to open and edit word docs on my PHONE but that is more for the business crew WHICH APPLE ISN'T AFTER...yet.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 06:59 PM

The difference is those DIAL a number, you enter your password (sometimes automatic), you have to listen to them blindly one at a time and have limited storage.

Managing them afterwords is a pain also.

So no, I think the tradeoffs and button presses are less actually.
Don't get me wrong. I love the visual voicemail, and it's tons better than the current systems. And the fact that other phones actually dial a number is beyond my point. To ACCESS your voicemail on those phones you press one key. I'm not criticizing the feature set of the iPhone. Just saying that there should be the fewest number of button presses as possible to access frequently used features, and voicemail qualifies as one of those.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 07:01 PM

question: how did they create the quicktime samples on apple's iphone pages?

is that a screen capture or did they have to use director/flash/?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
question: how did they create the quicktime samples on apple's iphone pages?

is that a screen capture or did they have to use director/flash/?
Could be the same way that Steve did his presentation - video out and recorded.

-t

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Could be the same way that Steve did his presentation - video out and recorded.

-t
well that doesn't explain the finger circle.

Anyway, they probably just made it in flash.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 07:09 PM

Personally missing flash is more of a plus for me.
Why?

BTW, would the phone CPU even be fast enough for Flash sites? My guess is yes, but I'm not sure.

And how much memory does the phone have?

Rumor
Jan 12, 2007, 07:19 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 07:55 PM

^ heh. That would be funny if it panned out like that.

With regard to 3G here in the U.S., it would be interesting to know Cingular's, excuse me, AT&T's, timeline for adding it to more cities.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 08:03 PM

Don't get me wrong. I love the visual voicemail, and it's tons better than the current systems. And the fact that other phones actually dial a number is beyond my point. To ACCESS your voicemail on those phones you press one key. I'm not criticizing the feature set of the iPhone. Just saying that there should be the fewest number of button presses as possible to access frequently used features, and voicemail qualifies as one of those.
On that note, I don't see why Apple couldn't easily implement a way to create Aliases of things and set them as custom buttons on the Home screen. That way, you could create an alias of Voicemail, then its just one button and "boom" you're there.

Of course that could get ugly, with aliases all over the place. But maybe they can limit it somehow so people don't make a mess of their UI's.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2007, 08:18 PM

Does anyone else think Apple's excuse for not allowing third party apps (about "taking down Cingular's west coast network") is entirely bogus? If that was true, some mischevious hacker could take down the west coast network with something other than the iPhone. Also, tons of other phones allow apps, from the Windows mobile devices to the Blackberries (Java).

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Does anyone else think Apple's excuse for not allowing third party apps (about "taking down Cingular's west coast network") is entirely bogus? If that was true, some mischevious hacker could take down the west coast network with something other than the iPhone. Also, tons of other phones allow apps, from the Windows mobile devices to the Blackberries (Java).
There might be some validity to that, but I doubt that's the "real" reason. Apple has always been very adamant about keeping tight control over as much of their products as possible. In doing so they can assure the tightest, most consistent user experience possible. And that is a good thing, in my book. This isn't a computer, its a mobile digital device, akin to the iPod. Keeping it tight is in Apple's best interest (much less tech support needed, as well as other reasons), and in the end, as long as Apple provides the tools that people need, it will be in the user's best interest.

Having a closed environment, even if its just in the beginning, is most likely a benefit for all.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 09:33 PM

My guess - and this is obviously just a guess - is that the home screen can be modified with your favorites similar to how an iPod's menu can be modified depending on your personal tastes. Otherwise, why would SMS be there?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 09:55 PM

Does anyone else think Apple's excuse for not allowing third party apps (about "taking down Cingular's west coast network") is entirely bogus?
Just about everyone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
My guess - and this is obviously just a guess - is that the home screen can be modified with your favorites similar to how an iPod's menu can be modified depending on your personal tastes. Otherwise, why would SMS be there?
That's exactly what I was going to say. If you can modify the iPod's home screen, I would be pretty surprised if you couldn't do it on an iPhone. Just remember that what we saw in the keynote was only a prototype. I'm sure a number of things will change or be added before it hits stores.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 11:05 PM

It does not ship with all of Cocoa, namely AppKit.
AppKit is Cocoa.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 12:47 AM

So I just spent 30 minutes browsing the web on my Treo 600 (VZN) while riding the bus. Only one crash, which is not bad for this duration of use. It's not the speed of the download that bothers me, it's the lack of responsiveness of the device. You can press the back button or the stop button and it will take 15-20s to respond sometimes. And then I went to listen to a voicemail and was greeted by VZNs dumber-than-nails redundant message "You have one unheard message. First unheard message."

When I got home I went to the iPhone website and watched all of the demo movies again. Blows the Treo away. No question.

And while I was initially disappointed by the lack of third party app support and still am a bit, I have realized that I no longer use any third party apps on my Treo. I used to use vindigo, but it always gave me wireless sync errors. I also used to use Directory Assistant, but it also has trouble. And don't even get me started on syncing.

I already have my wife's permission to shell out $500 on the iPhone (shhh...don't tell her it will be $600) as she perhaps hates my Treo more than me just because she has to hear me bitch about it all the time. And after watching the keynote, she now wants an iPhone for herself. Maybe she'll get the 1G when I upgrade

kman

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 12:48 AM

Oh yeah, that Treo data/voice (450 mins) plan costs me $89/month. Any bets on whether the Cingular plan will be cheaper?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Oh yeah, that Treo data/voice (450 mins) plan costs me $89/month. Any bets on whether the Cingular plan will be cheaper?
At least $60/mo for that service, maybe $80 (depending on which data plan you'll have to use). $120 if you want to tether to a laptop.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 02:08 AM

It does not ship with all of Cocoa, namely AppKit.
Cocoa - AppKit = just Foundation. Anyway, didn't he explicitly say it had CoreGraphics and CoreImage? Why would they have those and then not include AppKit in some form or another?

AppKit requires Aqua.
No it doesn't. AppKit predates the Aqua interface by quite a bit.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

the.one
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 02:17 AM

I agree. I think that the security should be on the network side. In this way, you wouldn't cripple the phone. I don't think that it's a good experience for the consumer to receive a limited product just in case they know how to do something that might cripple a whole network. Seems far fetched.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 02:44 AM

well that doesn't explain the finger circle.

Anyway, they probably just made it in flash.
Could have been edited in afterwards. Less work than recreating everything in flash.

-t

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Could have been edited in afterwards. Less work than recreating everything in flash.

-t
if done in flash, then steve himself would have to explain and show the prototype to the designers for them to create it....

in the demos, the dates of the nyt is thursday, january 4 th. 4 days before mw

btw, i guess the entire design department inside apple saw the iphone or at least know that it existed

the website department, the trade show department and what about the iphone interface designers...
and no leaks...amazing

must be a very small and elite group within the design department...or steve locks them in the last week leading up

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
if done in flash, then steve himself would have to explain and show the prototype to the designers for them to create it....

in the demos, the dates of the nyt is thursday, january 4 th. 4 days before mw

btw, i guess the entire design department inside apple saw the iphone or at least know that it existed

the website department, the trade show department and what about the iphone interface designers...
and no leaks...amazing

must be a very small and elite group within the design department...or steve locks them in the last week leading up
You misunderstand. We were talking about the iPhone videos on apple.com, not the keynote presentation.

-t

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
My guess is that Cingular will push its traditional PDA connect plans on iPhone users. I don't know enough about PDA's to say whether this is true or not, but some users claim to be able to get by with the $20/month WAP plans.

That said, even the cheapest Cingular voice+unlimited data plans will run you about $70/month. Don't worry about getting a special plan for tethering unless you intend to transfer crazy amounts of data. I transfer a few hundred MB/month using MediaMax unlimited without any problems. For me, tethering would be a moot point anyway because I hope the iPhone allows me to do away with my laptop.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 10:07 AM

Tiresias
Jan 13, 2007, 11:10 AM

Are the next iPods going to be like the iPhone with out the communications apps.? Will they have wide touchscreens, photo "pinching", cameras, and all that? And have an iPod harddrive capacity? That would be awesome.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Jan 13, 2007 at 11:18 AM. )

Railroader
Banned
Jan 13, 2007, 11:27 AM

I'd like the Video iPod to stay mostly the same and just be widescreen and higher quality.

I don't want a PDA.

Just like I want my phone to be a phone.

And my camera to be a camera.

I want my video iPod to be a video iPod.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I don't want a PDA.

Just like I want my phone to be a phone.
I feel those days are gone forever

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 11:36 AM

we don't have time to stop for gas

Tiresias
Jan 13, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Why? This thread is for speculations about how the iPhone will bear on the next iPod. iPod. iPod. iPod. Why should it go in the iPhone thread?

Do you just love the sound of your own keystrokes? Is that it?

Over-zealous moderation just pooh-poohs the casual vibe. Take a chill pill man.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

over-zealous? No. too many iPod threads. Learn some restraint. This could have went into one of the many.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
yyYOUUU, that's YoU bro. Quit bein' a dirty keystroke lover and post another iPhone thread. Hurry up too, cause every single little question about it is like crushed diamonds.
ice

Railroader
Banned
Jan 13, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Why? This thread is for speculations about how the iPhone will bear on the next iPod. iPod. iPod. iPod. Why should it go in the iPhone thread?

Over-zealous moderation just pooh-poohs the casual vibe. Take a chill pill man.
If it's truly about the iPod, then...

IT SHOULD BE IN THE IPOD FORUM!!!!!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 12:42 PM

Question: Did Jobs or any of the other demos ever show the keyboard being used in landscape mode? I would think the keyboard could be a lot larger and more usable that way.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Question: Did Jobs or any of the other demos ever show the keyboard being used in landscape mode? I would think the keyboard could be a lot larger and more usable that way.

No, I think it would take up most of the screen in landscape. Just look at smartphones with slide-out keyboards and how large those are.

WSKCONDOR
Jan 13, 2007, 12:59 PM

If iPhone is GSM, does it contain a SIM card? I mean, is it just "locked" and contracted with Cingular, and could you unlock it like other phones? I don't know that much about Cingular, so I don't know if it is that way, but I have T-Mobile now, and I really like the ability to put my sim card in either my Treo 650 or my RazR or my Nokia.
Does anyone know if the iPhone is a SIM card phone?

-WSK

Forum Links
Forum Rules