Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Tim Cook tours Mac Pro factory in Austin, Texas [u]

Tim Cook tours Mac Pro factory in Austin, Texas [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 6, 2014, 12:42 PM

(Updated with photo of Cook at AppleCare center) As a part of his visit to Austin yesterday, Apple CEO Tim Cook also ended up touring the manufacturing plant where the Mac Pro is assembled, according to a new Twitter post. "Watching the Mac Pro come together in Austin yesterday, thanks to a team loaded with American manufacturing expertise," he writes, captioning a photo.

The factory in question is run by Flextronics, an American firm which mainly operates out of California but is legally based in Singapore. The Mac Pro is the only Apple product currently being assembled in the US; the vast majority are assembled in China by firms like Foxconn and Pegatron. Most Apple suppliers are based in that region as well.

Update: In a subsequent tweet, Cook has posted a photo of himself at the AppleCare center at the new Austin Apple offices.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM. )

jfgilbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2014, 01:32 PM

Funny how Tim Cook is holding a bottle of Smart Water, and their ad pops up on the page. Does not look like a coincidence?

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2014, 04:15 PM

Tim: "Hello, this is AppleCare, Tim Cook speaking. How can I help you?"
Me: "Uh...... my favorite Mac mini is broken."
Tim: "No problem. I'll send you a new MacPro for replacement"
Me: "Thank you, Mr. Cook. You are my hero."
(Me spacing out in the office just by looking at that photo)

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2014, 04:24 PM

No, it's not coincidence. Today's ad is a lot more sophisticated than what it's used to be.

sunman42
Jun 6, 2014, 06:45 PM

Two possible captions for the second photo: (1) "No pressure at all, $11 an hour cubicle tech support guy. Just the CEO of your corporation watching you [ulp] make the customer happy." (2) "I sure hope this is an easy one. No more Mavericks Mail, issues, please."

FastiBook
Jun 7, 2014, 06:44 AM

I have been on calls that were monitored by upper execs. If anything the tech was even more eager to help me resolve the issue with options i thought were not available. You can definitely tell the difference, at least i could.
Fact is better than fiction.

MitchIves
Jun 8, 2014, 12:14 PM

It might have been more helpful if he had toured that Factory sooner. Back in April I wrote him an email suggesting that he set up camp there until he could sort out why it was taking 2-3 months to get a MacPro. Mine took 1 week short of three months. Now that they are claiming a one week delivery, he finally visits? I guess the Beats deal was more important?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by MitchIves View Post
I guess the Beats deal was more important?
I would certainly hope that a 3 billion dollar deal is a little more important than quenching some narcissistic internet dude's bitching.

Forum Links
Forum Rules