Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > linux webserver on iMac Rev. A specs

linux webserver on iMac Rev. A specs
bkolasin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2001, 01:45 AM

I've struck a deal w/ my brother to get his rev. a imac in exchange for some speakers that I bought off the back of a truck for $200 and I plan on making the iMac a little webserver for myself. A question or two:
1) the iMac currently has 48 MB of RAM, how much do you think I should have installed? I'm thinking of 128MB, but we'll see...
2) okay, begin holy wars: which distro should I use? I like the sound of YDL 2.0 (which is coming out very soon) because it comes w/ MySQL preinstalled... what I want on the machine is Apache, MySQL, PHP, and maybe sendmail...
3) maybe I'm just looking for a little encouragement... you think this is a good idea? any comments are appreciated!

thanks to all.
-bennett

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 18, 2001, 01:34 PM

I'd go for 64-128MB. Since the iMac currently has a 32MB and a 16MB module, I'd just replace the 16 with a 64, for a total of 96MB, which should be just fine until you get hundreds of requests a second

Pretty much all the distros come with MySQL and all the other GNU server tools. I like Yellow Dog, but I don't know what 2.0 is like, and for now, SuSe 7.1 seems to be the best distro.

Linux makes a marvelous server, but just be aware of one thing: out of the box, they're typically not very secure, and apt to get hacked into. I suggest, after installing using a full install (to make sure that no programs complain of missing libraries, etc), have a linux guru friend go through and do a security check, mainly making sure that only those TCP/UDP ports are open that you actually need.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules