Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush and Blair want to help Africa...

Bush and Blair want to help Africa...
Taliesin
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 05:25 AM

... by writing off the debt of 32 african countries, if they commit to tackle corruption. Additionaly the US wants to give about $674m in direct aid.

I think it's a good start to finally put Africa on the agenda of the G8 and to try to do something, but writing off debt and giving a bit of direct aid is only half of what is necessary to really help Africa. The other half is to finally allow Africa to offer its products in Europe and America competitively by abolishing tarrifs and subventions in the west! The west is always talking about freemarket and globalisation and forcing the thridworld to open their markets for western products but at the same time closing its own markets towards products from the thirdworld with the tools of high tariffs and subventions for the domestic industries in the west.

Here is the BBC-report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4071504.stm

Taliesin

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 8, 2005, 09:53 AM

Didn't we already give them 80,000,000,000? That's 80 Billion which the NY Times called 'crumbs'.

Cut-them-off. Until they reform and the right people can actually get the aid, forget-it!

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 11:14 AM

The puppet has been able to change his masters opinion on this. Good news.

Now if they would only be able to deliver on their promises and continue to add to the aid we might actually get somewhere. Chances of that happening? Not in our lifetime.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:21 AM

80,000,000,000 , yeah that is crumbs there.

Tell us von, what is the amount other countries have given?

Or is this another one of the "I hate the US, but they should give all their money to the causes I deem fit, and then when the debt goes up, and can bitch about that too"

You are transparent as glass.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:21 AM

Chances of Africa getting it's act together so the people that actually need the aid offered GET IT? In our lifetime? Not likely.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
You are transparent as glass.
Perhaps you should stop drinking then?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:28 AM

That made absolutely ZERO sense.

Perhaps you should stick with your day job.

RIRedinPA
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Cut-them-off. Until they reform and the right people can actually get the aid, forget-it!
Cutting them off will probably prevent the right people from ever coming to power.

Here's a nice observation from Jay Severin, talk radio host from Boston. (Right wing leaning but more a libertarian than anything else).

Bush has wasted whatever political capital he had coming into the second term on his failed social security iniative, the public is not into privitization and not interested in the topic as SS is not in crisis (yet). So he is now going to follow that failure to appease the fiscal conservatives of the Republicans with the notion of sending their tax money to, of all places, Africa. I guess the boy likes a challenge.

I actually believe we have a certain responsibility to help out those who are in the very worst situations on Earth. I spent time in Mali, which when I was there was the second poorest country in the world, not sure of its ranking today. The people live in the most unbeliveable squallor and I met Peace Corps folks who had returned to visit 10 years after their tour and they were shocked to see the quality of life either had declined or stagnated. It took a lot of air out of their sails as they thought they had made some significant improvements on the people's daily lives only to see not much had changed at all.

Here's the crux of the problem from what I was able to gather during my stay.

1. Bigger is better, much bigger is much better!

I had lunch with the woman in charge of radicating the country of guinea worm, a miserable parasite that once inside you grows into a 2 foot long worm and then works its way out of your skin (ala aliens). It is painful while in and worse getting out. You can't pull it or it'll break and then half will rot inside you, instead you have to roll it on a stick or pencil and let it inch it's way out. The process to eradicate it is simple, filter your water through a bandana or something similar so the eggs don't get inside you. But she was being approached from various NGOs and government agencies to build these elaborate water purification systems, in a country with one paved highway! What she really wanted was support for an education plan and the distribution of covered water containers with an opening which would filter the water.

But NGOs and government organizations get donations and funding from their members and governments not for doing micro projects but for doing grandiose projects so there was little interest in distributing covered water jugs.

2. Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day and want another one the next

That old saying, give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime gets turned on its head in Africa through NGOs and government agencies. I spoke with some members of Canada's Peace Corp equivalent and they were griping about how in Cote D'Ivorie the fisherman in one village had decided to stop fishing because some NGO was providing the village with free food. The gesture was done out of good will but it was putting these people on the road to subsidization and a life time of looking for handouts from the West. The people were capable of feeding themselves, better to have invested the money in some factor which would have led to an improvement in their livlihoods, such as stronger nets requiring less repair or some civic feature to improve the village overall.

3. Corruption

In Africa, where everything corruption and vice happen. It really doesn't make Africa much different from the rest of the world except that much of the bribery, theivery and misdirection of fund is of monies donated from the rest of the world to improve the lifes of everyone, not some mid-level government official. There is little way around it for the corruption happens at every level but the most egregious could be prevented by not letting top level government officials control the money but have an American (or whatever country or NGO) control its distribution. I'm sure this is tried to some extent and I am sure it fails miserably.
Take It Outside!

Mid Atlantic Outdoors

budster101
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:36 AM

Not our problem.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 11:37 AM

Not our problem.
Terrorism, influx of illegal immigrants, etc etc isn't your problem? Interesting.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:44 AM

As long as we protect our borders, and fight the wars we are fighting. It's not our problem.
The source of terrorism is NOT Africa...

Not our problem.
How do you fight an infection? Go to the source? Or just all the areas infected? What if you only have a small amount of serum?

Stop these silly arguments, that you cannot win.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 11:51 AM

The source of terrorism is NOT Africa...
And I who thought that some of the 9/11 terrorists were from Egypt, and that Lockerbie was linked to another north African country. Silly me I guess.
Not our problem.
How do you fight an infection? Go to the source? Or just all the areas infected? What if you only have a small amount of serum?

ahhh, your ignorance is showing. I fight infections by preventing them. When I get an infection it is because I did something that caused it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
And I who thought that some of the 9/11 terrorists were from Egypt, and that Lockerbie was linked to another north African country. Silly me I guess.
I wonder when people are going to realize where a person is from does not = that country having ties.

The idiocy in here is amazing.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 12:11 PM

ahhh, your ignorance is showing. I fight infections by preventing them. When I get an infection it is because I did something that caused it.

Can you reply without parsing?

Egypt
Africa (Lockerbie?) Again, you are all over the place....

So what? Proved my point. We hit them where they originate. Afghanistan...
You are wrong. They were being trained even in the USA by unasuming schools.
Who was in power when they were getting their flight lessons? CLINTON.
Very silly you.

You cannot take anti-biotics every day, you'll ruin their effectiveness. You are the ignorant one. You did something to cause infection? I'm not talking about sexual diseases here...
What about eboli? The Flu? The common cold?

What does one have to do in order to get these? Tell me... I'll be sure and always avoid it.

You have reduced yourself to a punch line as of your latest post.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 12:39 PM

Can you reply without parsing?

Egypt
Africa (Lockerbie?) Again, you are all over the place....

So what? Proved my point. We hit them where they originate. Afghanistan...
You are wrong. They were being trained even in the USA by unasuming schools.
Who was in power when they were getting their flight lessons? CLINTON.
Very silly you.

You cannot take anti-biotics every day, you'll ruin their effectiveness. You are the ignorant one. You did something to cause infection? I'm not talking about sexual diseases here...
What about eboli? The Flu? The common cold?

What does one have to do in order to get these? Tell me... I'll be sure and always avoid it.

You have reduced yourself to a punch line as of your latest post.
What is all over the place with remembering you that terrorism also comes from Africa? Too inconvenient for you?

Yes, you hit them in Afghanistan and I've never said that was wrong. I won't say it was the wisest decision(who would expect Bush to make the wisest decision anyway?) but it wasn't wrong.

Of course you don't take anti-biotics every day. How to prevent eboli? Make sure those around you don't drink contaminated water. flu and cold? build up a strong immunesystem by eating healthy food and healthy exercise(among several other things I won't mention here). Do that and it won't affect you.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 12:47 PM

Nonsense. I just got food poisoning from a nice restaraunt... how do you prevent that?

You cannot.
You cannot cover your face when your kid comes home with many different infectious problems from the other kids they play with...

You have no leg to stand on. Face it.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 12:49 PM

To make an analgy that islamic terrorism is a disease is pretty spot on.
Ho does the CDC fight Ebola? They firebomb an entire village and burn it down.(sans the survivors).
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 12:51 PM

bubblewrap: You rock. Thanks for the backup! For a second I thought I was the 'one' soldier.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 12:54 PM

Nonsense. I just got food poisoning from a nice restaraunt... how do you prevent that?

You cannot.
You cannot cover your face when your kid comes home with many different infectious problems from the other kids they play with...

You have no leg to stand on. Face it.
By enforcing strict checks on restaurants.

You don't need to cover your face when a kid has an infectious problem. You are an adult who should have an immunesystem that can deal with any infections a child has.

Unless you are weak of course

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by bubblewrap
To make an analgy that islamic terrorism is a disease is pretty spot on.
Ho does the CDC fight Ebola? They firebomb an entire village and burn it down.(sans the survivors).
You've obviously been watching too many movies.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 01:04 PM

Umm.
Yeah.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 01:05 PM

bubblewrap: You rock. Thanks for the backup! For a second I thought I was the 'one' soldier.
I flew for an AirliftWing that delivered supplies to Africa to "fix" a problem.(1993)
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 01:18 PM

So you agree islam needs to be completely removed from society as a whole.

I knew you had some sense somewhere in that thick head of yours.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 01:21 PM

nm.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 02:28 PM

Hopefully somebody can refresh my memory... Who was it that gave North America a bundle of cash to help aid in our development?

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 02:31 PM

I know Morocco was the first to recognised the United States as an independant nation.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 02:32 PM

Now if they would only be able to deliver on their promises and continue to add to the aid we might actually get somewhere.
Why don't you first demonstrate the positive results from the millions and millions already given them before demanding that we give more and more and more?

I'm not about to give the thumbs up on more enormous aid packages until I am assured that prior monies were well used.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 02:51 PM

Giving money to a bunch of simple bandits is not going to solve anything, except for making the situation even worse.

Is the USA the world's welfare office ? Well, in that case, those countries we give massive aid to shall hereby be classified as our employees, and we reserve the right to fire them, if they fail to meet expectations, something which they've failed to meet for the past decades.

You have all these people in Africa with these primitive ideologies, and no amount of money will change their backwards ways and beliefs. What use is giving billions of dollars to somebody, if the majority will be pocketed by moronic African dictators, which has been the case in the past.

Why did the USA not have any dictators or primitive fools for leaders when the country was formed ? We are more advanced, more grounded, more intelligent, less fanatical and a more reasonable people. That's my hypothesis.

We are reminded constantly that many places in the world hates us. Well, let them go beg somebody else for money, these two-faced hypocritical beggars. They expect us to give them money, and they also expect that them hating us is completely natural and our fault of course. Screw 'em, let 'em hate us even more. We should deliberately piss them off, as we don't care much about such silly people. If they get too rowdy, and attempt any crap with us, we'll be sending bombs, and not money/food.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Hopefully somebody can refresh my memory... Who was it that gave North America a bundle of cash to help aid in our development?
WWII.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Giving money to a bunch of simple bandits is not going to solve anything, except for making the situation even worse.

Is the USA the world's welfare office ? Well, in that case, those countries we give massive aid to shall hereby be classified as our employees, and we reserve the right to fire them, if they fail to meet expectations, something which they've failed to meet for the past decades.

You have all these people in Africa with these primitive ideologies, and no amount of money will change their backwards ways and beliefs. What use is giving billions of dollars to somebody, if the majority will be pocketed by moronic African dictators, which has been the case in the past.

Why did the USA not have any dictators or primitive fools for leaders when the country was formed ? We are more advanced, more grounded, more intelligent, less fanatical and a more reasonable people. That's my hypothesis.

We are reminded constantly that many places in the world hates us. Well, let them go beg somebody else for money, these two-faced hypocritical beggars. They expect us to give them money, and they also expect that them hating us is completely natural and our fault of course. Screw 'em, let 'em hate us even more. We should deliberately piss them off, as we don't care much about such silly people. If they get too rowdy, and attempt any crap with us, we'll be sending bombs, and not money/food.

I see racism hasn't died in the US. Sad to know.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 03:11 PM

I see racism hasn't died in the US. Sad to know.
No one race has exclusive ownership over barbaric and primitive ideologies. White, black, brown or magenta can all be victims to hateful ideologies, something history has shown us.

The racists are people such as yourselves, who whine about the whole "race" thing to begin with. I didn't mention anything about any race.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:18 PM

I'm sure you got friends who aren't white as well

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 8, 2005, 03:23 PM

I'm sure you got friends who aren't white as well
Yep, actually, my friend is coming over to my place soon. (ooooh, he's black ! the horror !).

And also, my girlfriend is asian.

Evil and hate in people knows no race. I don't give a crap what color somebody is on the outside. If I don't like somebody, it's because of what's on the inside.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 03:25 PM

Robert Mugabe comes to mind.

No racism there.

So how long before the famine sets in and we have to give this murderous mob money?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2005, 06:02 PM

"Helping" Africa is teaching abstinence and Christianity.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 06:58 PM

Africa, the only country I've been to where people openly **** on bar room tables.
And the public bus.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:05 PM

Backing up the Bad Guys
As the world’s poorest countries sink further and further into debt, Western corporations grow fat from government-backed projects that fuel conflicts, harm the environment and have built-in kickbacks.

Date:01/12/2004 Author:Noreena Hertz

On 5 February 2003 then US secretary of state Colin Powell presented a dossier to the UN Security Council with reasons for why the world should go to war against Iraq. One reason was the existence of a chemical weapons plant, ‘Chlorine Plant Falluja 2’, situated 50 miles outside of Baghdad, which the US claimed was a key component in Iraq’s chemical warfare arsenal and which even the cautious Hans Blix, the former UN chief weapons inspector, had sad might need to be destroyed. Given that the dossier was also used by Britain to justify the invasion of Iraq, it is somewhat ironic that it was the British government that had been responsible for building the £14m factory 17 years before.

In 1985 the Export Credits Guarantee Department (ECGD), a government agency that funds or insures British corporations wanting to do business in high-risk areas overseas, had provided insurance to a British subsidiary of the German company Uhde Ltd so that it could set up the plant in Iraq. Did the British government know that this plant it was underwriting with British taxpayer money could be used to develop chemical weapons? Uh, yes. At the time, senior government officials wrote that there was a ‘strong possibility’ that the plant was intended by the Iraqis to make mustard gas. The Ministry of Defence warned that the factory could be used to make chemical weapons, noting that the chlorine it would produce could ‘be used in the manufacture of phosphorus trichloride, a key nerve agent precursor’. Foreign Office minister Richard Luce went so far as to express concern that this deal would ruin Britain’s image if news of it were to get out, and counselled: ‘I consider it essential everything possible be done to oppose the proposed sale and deny the company concerned ECGD cover.’ Nevertheless, the Tory trade minister at the time, Paul Channon, revealed all too clearly where the government’s priorities lay: ‘A ban would do our other trade prospects in Iraq no good,’ Channon said.

Those ‘other prospects’ turned out to be lucrative arms deals. For example, ECGD insurance worth £42m enabled the radio manufacturer Racal to ship several sophisticated Jaguar V radios to Saddam Hussein’s army in 1985, radios that enabled Saddam to overcome enemy jamming on the battlefield. In 1987 Marconi was given ECGD funding to sell Armets – the Artillery Metrological System, the purpose of which is to facilitate accurate artillery fire – to the Iraqi army. And in 1988 Tripod Engineering was given ECGD backing to sell a fighter pilot training complex to the Iraqi air force, and Thorn EMI got ECGD insurance for a contract to ship Cymbeline mortar-locating radar to the Iraqi army.

The British government even continued to issue export credits to Iraq after British journalist Farzad Bazoft was executed by Saddam in 1990. And it wasn’t just the British whose export credit agencies (ECAs) were underwriting sales by domestic companies to dubious and dangerous projects in Iraq during Saddam’s reign, or even financing the entire deals themselves. Pretty much the whole world was at it. At the same time as the British were smoothing the way for Uhde, the White House, for example, was pressuring the US Export-Import Bank (Ex-Im) to approve financing for a new oil pipeline in Iraq, a pipeline that US engineering giant Bechtel would build if the deal went ahead. ‘The State Department has exerted strong pressure on Ex-Im to make additional credits available… for this pipeline,’ noted Bechtel official HC Clark in an internal memo in February 1984. This despite the fact that the horrors of Saddam’s reign were well-known, and reports of his gassing of thousands of Iranian troops with chemical weapons during the Iran-Iraq war had received public attention. With Donald Rumsfeld, then Ronald Reagan’s Middle East envoy, and George Schultz, secretary of state at the time (and a former Bechtel president), both playing key lobbying roles, in June 1984 Ex-Im’s board of directors approved a preliminary commitment of $484.5m in loan guarantees for the pipeline project.

Much like a department store that provides its own charge card so that customers can buy the store’s own products on credit, government Export Credit Agencies facilitate loans for overseas governments or companies to buy the lending country’s own products. The more loans the ECAs facilitate, the happier the domestic firms from the ECA’s home country are, but also the more debts the foreign countries run up. Furthermore, these deals are underwritten by the ECAs: when they go sour (following the invasion of Kuwait in August 1990, for example, the Iraqi government stopped honouring its contract with Uhde) the agencies pay the corporations almost all the monies owed to them and assume the burden of debt themselves. That debt is then added to the outstanding bilateral debt owed by the debtor nation to the country from which the ECA hails. Thus, around 95 per cent of the debt owed to the UK government by developing countries is export credit debt, while 65 per cent of all debt owed by poor nations to official creditors is owed to ECAs.

Saddam’s Iraq made Western arms dealers very happy. Most of the $26 billion plus currently owed by Iraq to the British, the French, the Germans, the Japanese and the US was run up in the 1980s after Saddam came into power. Undoubtedly, this debt resulted mainly from military equipment procurement and weapons programmes. Now the Iraqi people are being told to repay this debt. Or at least that proportion of it that creditors feel they will realistically be able to squeeze out of them. The nation that suffered so much under Saddam that its cause became one of ‘liberation’ is being told to repay debts that were racked up with the express encouragement of Western companies and Western governments for purposes of oppression, violence and genocide. Why exactly are the governments of the developed world providing these loans? In some cases to serve their geopolitical interests, but more often to serve the different, though related, interest of their domestic corporations.

The ECGD, for example, explicitly states that its goal is to ‘help exporters of UK goods » and services to win business and UK firms to invest overseas by providing guarantees, insurance and reinsurance against loss’. ECAs also serve the interests of commercial banks. As Stephen Kock, a former Midland Bank executive in charge of arms deals, put it: ‘Before we advance monies to a company we always insist on funds being covered by the ECGD... We can’t lose. After 90 days if the importing countries haven’t coughed up, the company gets paid instead by the British government. Either way, we recover our loan, plus interest, of course. It’s beautiful.’ Especially beautiful because the ECGD typically pays banks about 0.75 per cent per annum on the total value of any ECA-backed loans it has provided, thus giving banks an incentive to advance capital to British exporters. While 0.75 per cent per annum may not sound that much, on a $500m project it amounts to around $3.8 million. And that is on a completely risk-free loan: the equivalent of lending to the Bank of England. No wonder banks spend serious amounts of money cosying up to big corporations: they want to be the bank through which companies secure their ECGD-backed loan.

From the point of view of Western corporations, export credit arrangements are great because they enable them to pass some of the risk of doing business in developing countries onto their own governments. By providing lower fees, premiums and interest rates than the private market can, and by backing transactions that the private market would refuse to back, ECAs are implicitly subsidising their domestic exporters. Export credit arrangements also offer companies the added bonus of harnessing government interests to their own. Once corporations have export credit guarantees they can rest assured that if things go wrong their government will protect their investments. ‘Ex-Im can be a powerful ally,’ Edmund B Rice, president of the US corporate lobbying group the Coalition for Employment through Exports, has said. ‘You’ve got the full weight of our US embassy, our ambassador, the Treasury Department and the State Department all coming in.’ No wonder corporations lobby hard for ECAs to continue their work.

The US’s Overseas Private Investment Corporation (Opic) is a similar agency to Ex-Im, but one that focuses solely on the developing world. When there was a move to eliminate it in the late 1990s, Kenneth Lay, the now disgraced former CEO of Enron, wrote a letter to every single member of Congress staunchly defending the institution. But why do Western governments want to serve corporate interests in this way? Typically, because they are so caught up in the ‘business interest serves national interest’ myth that they don’t stop to question it. They should.

First, most economists remain highly sceptical that a nation can improve its long-term welfare by subsidising its exports. Second, subsidies radically reduce the incentive for exporters to do all they can to ensure that the countries they are selling to will make good on their debts: in much the same way that many more homes would be built in flood-prone areas if their owners were compensated for flood damage by the government, ECAs provide exporters with incentives to maximise their exports in the knowledge that they will be bailed out if their deals go bad. And third, export subsidy policies tend to be very costly for the exporting countries: many ECAs have made huge losses over the past two decades, with only the ECA-backed companies benefiting.

The lion’s share of the subsidies is not, however, usually paid for by Western taxpayers, despite the high failure rate of ECA projects. That burden more commonly falls on the peoples of the developing world, who have to face the consequences of increases in their national debt as a result of importers not paying up. One thing that makes the interest paid on export credits particularly onerous for developing countries is the fact that it corresponds to commercial rates of interest, not the lower rates incurred by bilateral or multilateral loans from organisations like the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund or regional development banks. If it could be shown that developing countries were better off because of ECA-backed projects, a reasonable case could be made that the resulting debt burden was worth it. In many cases, however, the promised benefits never materialise, and a large number of projects do not even see the light of day.

A former employee of HSBC told me how in one 12-month period every single one of the export credit agency deals he worked on at the bank went bankrupt. Billions of dollars worth of ECA loans end up lining the pockets of corrupt government officials. For example, the construction company Acres International is just one of the many firms to have received support from the Canadian ECA Export Development Canada (EDC). In September 2002 a Lesotho court found Acres guilty of paying $260,000 in bribes to Mr Masupha Sole, the former CEO of the notorious Highlands Dam Project. Besides being riddled with corruption, the Highlands Dam Project displaced hundreds of subsistence farmers and directly and adversely affected the lives of approximately 27,000 people.

Indeed, it is commonplace for the » prices of projects that receive ECA funding to be massively inflated so that they can cover the related ’commissions’. The corruption-fighting NGO Transparency International has shown how it is common practice for the value of an ECA contract to be inflated by between 10 and 20 per cent to account for the ‘commissions’ (otherwise known as bribes) necessary to secure deals. Moreover, the projects ECAs choose to fund are often highly contentious.

Take the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant in the Philippines, the largest and most expensive construction project ever undertaken in that country. The plant was built in 1976 for more than $2 billion with loans largely provided by Ex-Im, loans that are still costing the Philippines $170,000 a day to service and which will continue to do so until 2018. (In the Philippines GDP per capita is $4,000, 40 per cent of the population live below the poverty line and annual per capita expenditure on health is only $30.) And all that expense for a plant that never worked.

‘Filipinos have not benefited from a single watt of electricity,’ said the country’s former national treasurer Leonor Briones. But maybe the people of the Philippines should count their blessings: the plant’s design was based on an old two-loop model that had no safety record of any sort, and the facility was built along earthquake fault lines at the foot of a volcano. Not only do ECAs finance self-aggrandising or misguided projects and corrupt elites; they are, historically, rarely subject to any kind of regulatory safeguards. Most export credit agencies, for example, have no legal obligation to screen out projects with adverse environmental and social impacts, no obligation to ensure that their projects comply with human rights, environmental and development guidelines, and no obligation to consider the environmental impact of their investments or the contribution they will make to local development.

Attempts to get G8 countries to agree on minimal social and environmental standards for their ECAs have resulted only in a non-binding arrangement, with companies now being asked to fill out questionnaires on their environmental and social impacts. However, no procedures have been implemented to allow independent verification to take place. What this means in practice is that many of the projects ECAs end up financing (favourites include big infrastructure and resource-extraction projects such as mines, dams, oil refineries and nuclear power plants) continue to be environmentally damaging and socially undesirable.

The Three Gorges Dam project in China is a perfect example. Here is a project that will force the relocation of 1.3 million people and drown 13 cities. It has been characterised by large-scale corruption and massive construction flaws and has been protested against by numerous Chinese scientists, engineers and journalists. Yet it has already received almost $1.5 billion in loans guarantees and insurance from various European ECAs. As one senior British official mused: ‘There was some problem about moving peasants there, wasn’t there?’ Although the US’s ECAs are more strongly regulated than their European counterparts (Bill Clinton imposed mandatory standards in 1992 and 1997 preventing them from investing in ‘projects that require large-scale involuntary resettlement’ or in ‘large dam projects that disrupt natural ecosystems or the livelihoods of local inhabitants’), Ex-Im and Opic have invested heavily in projects with dubious environmental credentials.

From 1992 to 1998, for example, the two agencies underwrote $23.2 billion in financing for oil, gas and coal projects around the world. Over their lifetimes, these plants will release 29.3 billion tons of carbon dioxide: the equivalent of the amount of CO2 produced by 24 billion round-trip New York-Heathrow flights, an amount that would require the planting of 48 billion trees for it to be offset. One of the American ECAs’ biggest clients during the 1990s was Enron. Backed by Opic, Enron’s Cuiabá pipeline from Bolivia to Brazil cuts directly through the world’s largest remaining dry tropical forest, and also part of the region’s Pantanal wetlands, damaging 39 indigenous and several non-indigenous communities on its way – as well as devastating the environment. The pipeline was a project the World Bank said it would not have financed. Many of Opic’s own staff recognised it was in violation of the agency’s own guidelines. Yet no one stopped it.
( Last edited by SimpleLife; Jun 9, 2005 at 06:35 AM. )

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:07 PM

(part 2)
Indeed, this is typical of the kind of project backed by Ex-Im and Opic. As Iraq illustrates, arms sales are another category of exports that account for large percentages of ECA loans. In the UK, between 30 and 50 per cent of all export credits are allocated to cover sales by UK arms exporters. This percentage is extremely high, particularly when one considers that defence exports only account for approximately 3 per cent of total UK exports. Similarly, in France a third of export credits go to subsidising arms exporters.

Export credit agencies provide a shocking illustration of one of the most serious imbalances in today’s world: not the geopolitical one in which countries with monies to lend wield power over those that need to borrow; nor the imbalance within developing countries that can allow Third World leaders to take out loans without their being held to account for their use; but an imbalance that lies at the core of developed nations themselves: an imbalance of power between corporate interests and the public interest, between economics, politics and society.

Western countries use ECAs for 80 per cent of their investment in developing countries. The agencies subsidise corporations and provide risk-free bonuses for the commercial banks lending the investment capital. There is no quid pro quo at all that the businesses favoured should employ the peoples of the subsidising government, invest in its country or fulfil any national interest. The story of the ECAs is also a story of barefaced hypocrisy. The rich world censures developing nations for their high levels of military expenditure, yet continues to provide the funds so that these countries can buy their arms.

The Europeans deify multilateralism and sign up to a range of environmental conventions – Kyoto, the UN Convention on Biodiversity, and so forth – supposedly to protect natural resources and slow down climate change, yet Europe’s ECAs finance the very fossil-fuel and energy intensive projects that will lock in higher emissions in the developing world (thus recreating there the same environmentally unsound development path the rich countries themselves followed).

While in the US the justification for rejecting Kyoto is supposedly in part because the protocol does not require emissions limits for developing nations, countries in which American ECAs are financing the building of environmentally unfriendly power plants. The developed world unapologetically uses its ECAs to subsidise its exporters, yet demands in the name of ‘free trade’ that developing countries do not protect their producers in any way at all; and, in the name of investment, it saddles the developing world with yet more repayment of debt, and debt at the higher rates of the commercial banks rather than the lower rates of the bilateral or multilateral loans.

Export agencies ram home the Janus-faced nature of the West: the developed world espouses concern for human rights, transparency and environmental issues on the one hand, yet on the other bankrolls projects that are at complete odds with any such concern; it is wedded to multilateralism, which it defines in a way that serves the narrowest of corporate interests. So it is that the world’s poorest countries sink further and further into debt while Western corporations grow fat from government-backed projects that fuel conflicts, harm the environment and have built-in kickbacks.

Rather than being a tool for development, ECA funds often serve to feed the vicious cycle of corruption, underdevelopment, conflict and debt. n This is an extract from Noreena Hertz’s IOU: the debt threat and why we must defuse it , 2004, Fourth Estate, £16.99 Public finance for the private sector Export credit agencies like the US and Japanese Export-Import Banks, the German Hermes Guarantee, the Italian SACE, the Swiss ERG, the French Coface, the Canadian EDC or the British Export Credits Guarantee Department are the largest source of public finance for private sector projects in the world.

Between 1982 and 2001 they supported $7,334 billion worth of exports and $139 billion of foreign direct investment primarily to countries of the developing world. In 2000 alone ECAs provided a total of $500 billion in guarantees and insurance to companies operating in developing countries, and issued $58.8 billion worth of new export credits. As overseas aid continues to fall, the importance of ECAs to developing countries continues to increase. Between 1988 and 1996 the worldwide value of new export credit loans and guarantees increased fourfold with approximately half of the new commitments going to the developing world. Eighty per cent of financing for projects and investment in developing countries today comes from ECAs.

And export credits are now at levels of between two and three times the amounts of aid provided by the World Bank, regional development banks and countries of the developed world. This is a trend that is likely to continue. The 2002 G8 Africa Action Plan stated: ‘We commit to... helping Africa attract investment, both from within Africa and from abroad, and to implementing policies conducive to economic growth – including by... facilitating the financing of private investment through increased use of development finance institutions and export credit and risk-guarantee agencies...’
Money will always be given to Africa. The problem is how and to whom...

Note: paragraphized.
( Last edited by SimpleLife; Jun 9, 2005 at 06:45 AM. )

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 10:16 PM

Oh, geez. I'm sure more people would read that if the author utilized a feature known as paragraphs.

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 03:14 AM

Africa, the only country I've been to where people openly **** on bar room tables.
And the public bus.

lol... not to rock the boat, but I saw someone do the exact same thing in Texas!!!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 05:57 AM

I flew for an AirliftWing that delivered supplies to Africa to "fix" a problem.(1993)
Precisely the problem. The USA throws money at the problem because it strokes their conscience. There's famine in Ethiopia, so they send 10,000 tons of home grown rice. The Ethiopians eat the rice and when it's finished they're back to square one. When the Ethiopians come a knockin' again, the Americans get all pouty and throw their hands in despair. The free food aid not only wipes out the local capacity to produce food thereby creating a dependency, but it would be far more efficient to create local capacity. You can spend your money far more effectively by getting involved in projects. Sink a borehole, reforest, plant crops, build roads, build hospitals. Food aid is necessary in emergency situations but it's a stop gap only.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 05:59 AM

Africa, the only country I've been to ...
AFRICA IS NOT A COUNTRY!

Jees, how many times do we have to say this?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Hopefully somebody can refresh my memory ... Who was it that invaded North America, sat down and agreed to split it up according to arbitrary lines that paid no attention to the thousands of different ethnicities, then colonised it for 500 years, sucked raw materials out without putting anything back in? Who funded wars in North America for hundreds of years including throughout the cold war? Who was it that put in place a system in North America that resulted in some of its states paying more than their GDP in interest to richer states? Who was it that imposed economic policies on North America that were completely inappropriate to local conditions? Who was it that benefitted from underdevelopment in North America and therefore actively blocked North America from developing? Who was it that benefitted from the environmental benefits of an underdeveloped North America?

There is simply no comparing Africa and the USA. Africa's baggage has nothing in common with yours.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
AFRICA IS NOT A COUNTRY!

Jees, how many times do we have to say this?
Jeez, continent. Feel better?
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
Hopefully somebody can refresh my memory ... Who was it that invaded North America, sat down and agreed to split it up according to arbitrary lines that paid no attention to the thousands of different ethnicities, then colonised it for 500 years, sucked raw materials out without putting anything back in? Who funded wars in North America for hundreds of years ? Who was it that imposed economic policies on North America that were completely inappropriate to local conditions? Who was it that benefitted from underdevelopment in North America and therefore actively blocked North America from developing? Who was it that benefitted from the environmental benefits of an underdeveloped North America?.
Britain?
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Taliesin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Coming from you, this sounds like pure satire.

But regarding early USA, I remember quite well that the first american settlers were europeans, having already experienced the european school-system and european industrialisation, combined with religious fanatism and an ideology of being God's chosen people, and therefore the human and citizen rights were not granted to the native people (that were massacred) and not to the blacks (that were imported and used as slaves)... but only to white, european, christian people.

On topic, the problems of subsahara-Africa are manifold:

1. Corruptness and the lack of functioning states and institutions allows dictators to absorp most of the western aid and transfer it to their western bank-accounts, so that they don't reach the african people. But the corruptness goes deeper, nearly every government official, be he/she a minister, a city-major, a police-officer or whatever is engaged in corruptness that tries to squeeze the most possible out of the population at every opportunity. That alone makes native business very difficult if not impossible.

2. While most of subsahara-Africa believes in the one invisible God as the creator of the universe, most of them also believe in ghosts, demons, spirits... as mediators between humans and the ultimate God, which is the source of much of their superstition, that keeps most of them from embracing empirical knowledge, scientific methods and other benifits of modern education.

3. The debt and interest-payings toward the west far outweigh any amounts of aid the west comes up with, and poses a big hinderance towards the establishment of a functioning, reliable tax-supported school- and health-system.

4. The aid the west gives to Africa and that mostly disappears in dictator's pockets and bank-accounts in the west is often conditioned to the fulfillment of privatising the country's assets, like oil-, gas-, water-... and other ressources, but also state-created firms and factories, and the buyers are rarely people from those countries but instead multinational companies of the west.

5. Onesided-Globalisation and the enforced opening of african markets has further devastated their economies, because after that western agriculture-firms could sell products cheaper than the domestic agriculture, since the western companies were subsidized by their homegovernments. At the same time the african governments were not allowed to subsidize their domestic farmers, and high tariffs in the western world prohibited export in that direction.

There are more problems, but what are the solutions?
First and foremost the huge debt of subsahara-Africa has to be written off, then the subventions for western farmers has to stop, and tariffs abolished, so that african countries can get free and fair access to international markets, a basic level of selfgenerated food-supply and a basic level of clean water-supply must be achieved, in order to stop the numerous health-problems, like malaria, hunger..., the schoolsystem has to be changed from individual-fee- to tax-based, the west must enforce transparency for the multinational corporations active in those countries as well as for the leaders and government-officials in order to combat corruptness, the west must stop to sell weapons and ammunition into warzones, western aid must be monitored and only allowed for infrastructure-, education-, agriculture- and health-programs...

When education, food, water, health, corruption is tackled far enough and a functioning inner-economy as well as a working export-economy has been established, which I guess would take at least two decades to achive if all parties are engaged and goodwilled, then democracy with a reasonable constitution, separate and independent powers of the executive, legislative and judicative can be introduced in full force.

Taliesin

budster101
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 10:05 AM

This thread is officially over for me. It has become a cut-paste fest.

:vomit:

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 10:31 AM

Yes when people are getting their butt handed to them, teh cut and paste of entire web pages commences hoping to just drown their debater.

There should be a new rule for that.

A simple link will do.

budster101
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 10:37 AM

RULE # 10 (Suggestion) When quoting an article, simply cut and paste only the paragraph necessary to prompt others to visit the link YOU provide and finish the article. Pasting entire articles no only drown out your opponents but it also wastes space.

Format:

Your intended paragraph that contains a portion of what you are attempting to argue.
Article Link Here: Link

------

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 10:40 AM

Now where is Demonhood?

Forum Links
Forum Rules