Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How hot is your macbook?

How hot is your macbook? (Page 4)
snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2006, 09:15 PM

47c 1500mhz, 7.4% cpu

2.0GHz white Macbook

unix
Jun 4, 2006, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nebrie
I decided to run some quick CPU temp test on a pair of Thinkpads I have here (which have excellent thermal design) which can also get unbearably hot. They've been idling for a few hours.

Thinkpad X41T
1.5Ghz Pentium M, GMA 900
Idle 53-56 C
After 10 minutes of gaming 63-67 C
I gave up trying to play after 10 minutes, unbearably slow.

Thinkpad T41P
1.7Ghz Pentium M, FireGL T2
Idle 54 C
After 10 minutes of gaming 80-83 C
10+ minutes, got up to 85-89 C eventually
Dude go get ur thinkpads looked up! mine has never gone beyond 50C with the usage being at 100% for atleast 1/2 hr continuously. And I have a T43, with a faster 1.83Ghz Pentium M!

And if I'm not wrong, the X41 is the ultra-portable with the Ultra-Low Voltage CPU. There should be no reason for it to get that hot!!

My T43 idles between 27-35C.

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 01:13 AM

At idle, mine runs at between 35-40C. At 10%, it runs between 55-60C. At 60%, it runs at 86C. I don't mind the heat at all as I never use it directly on my lap and the case itself is only warm, but the mooing that starts at about 65C is starting to drive me insane. I'm taking it in tomorrow to see if they'll reapply the thermal paste for me. Or at least do SOMETHING. I'd hate to have to get angry. =\

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Have you tried doing GPU intensive tasks?
MoHAA, but it sucked chunks on the MB (as expected).

After that they both felt very hot but w/o the infrared thermometer I wouldn't be able to say which one was worse.

unix
Jun 5, 2006, 08:56 AM

just ran the macbook full throttle at 100% usage for a good 15 mins, stable temp at the end of this was 77C. peak it reached was 85C. I can however tell you that the case was much much cooler, felt something around 40-45C to me, since it wasnt even warm to touch. this was of course when the macbook was placed on a table.

this is the first time i actually heard the fans of the macbook come on, and i don't know if im lucky or this is how their supposed 2 be, their very very quiet. as quiet if not more than my thinkpad.

i can't expect anymore from this. i was very skeptical after buying the macbook with all the reports i read, but now i'm truly satisfied. the fans did a fantastic job of cooling the case, which all that really matters. when they come on is hardly an issue as long as the case is cool.

i LOOOVE it!!

Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2006, 08:14 PM

I guess mine runs fairly cool... I just booted and started iTunes, Firefox and Updates running I'm at 46C! CPU utilization is at 20% or so.

This is a 2.0ghz MacBook White... just brought it home an hour ago.

Stats:

46C
46 mins running
1.5ghz currently

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 07:53 AM

Mine runs at 52 idle and 92 at full load (running BOINC)

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 07:54 AM

hatim
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 07:55 AM

graziaplena
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 01:16 AM

Hello,

I joined just so I could ask this!

Has anyone else tried running both CoreDuoTemp and Temperature Monitor? I'm on a Week 25 White MB, 2ghz. Using Adium and Firefox and downloading torrents, for 2+ hours, when i've left the lappy on for about 36 hours, Temperature Monitor consistently puts me between 36 and 42°, while CoreDuoTemp will fluctuate between 65 and 72°.

Is one of these programs flawed? Or is it only my computer that registers such a difference between the two programs?

This may explain why sllnwy (or however it was spelt) on Page 1 was so incensed that everyone else's MacBook was hotter than his/hers: s/he was using TempMonitor and the other posters, CoreDuoTemp. I suspect that there are other instances of this discrepancy in this thread, too.

I'm a little pissed because I replaced the thermal paste with AS5 and it's done nothing. I am going to be On the Go when school starts, dragging my lappy all around London, and will be sad if I can't just carry it around sleeping for fear of heat.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2006, 03:23 AM

I can't wait until I get my MacBook and it sets my lap on fire!

*rubs hands togeter in anticipation*

MiniMoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 08:19 AM

I just got mine yesterday and it spent the evening on my lap in the La-Z-Boy. Ran between 50-60C (Core Duo Temp) and while it got hot, wasn't as bad as my Dell 8600, which is also tolerable.
Moe
1.66GHz Core-Duo Mini, 2GB/120GB, Apple 23" Cinema HD Display
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Apple iSight Camera
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB

AllanCook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 08:08 PM

My black MB seems to be steady at 54C running Safari alone.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
• metal case which will conduct the heat better to the outside
Bingo. What everyone forgets is Aluminum is a GREAT conductor of heat. So the MBP will appear hotter. It's not a bad thing or something to be concerned about - it's just the way aluminum works.

People really need to stop obscessing over this....

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2006, 04:11 PM

I've been keeping track of this for the past month with my MacBook. Generally runs in the 50's and low 60's. Under load it will hit the low 70's. The upper left corner is warm to the touch under load but the laptop is never too hot to use on my lap and doesn't seem particularly warmer than my old iBook.

katy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by graziaplena
Hello,

I joined just so I could ask this!

Has anyone else tried running both CoreDuoTemp and Temperature Monitor? I'm on a Week 25 White MB, 2ghz. Using Adium and Firefox and downloading torrents, for 2+ hours, when i've left the lappy on for about 36 hours, Temperature Monitor consistently puts me between 36 and 42°, while CoreDuoTemp will fluctuate between 65 and 72°.
I run both CoreDuoTemp and Temperature Monitor and on both the results are the same.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 05:15 PM

Sorry...what is "Temperature Monitor" and where do I get it??? Thanks.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Ouhei
Jul 8, 2006, 07:12 PM

Idle, mine is around 40c, under normal usage I've gotten up to 54c, under heavier usage (PS CS2 open w/ safari, adium, itunes, etc) the highest I've seen is 60c.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Sorry...what is "Temperature Monitor" and where do I get it??? Thanks.
Is it really so hard to google?

"Temperature Monitor"

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2006, 08:28 PM

I'll throw my two cents in. I got my Macbook several weeks ago, and right now running Handbreak with 98% CPU usage, it's sitting at 78-81C. That's acceptable for a notebook CPU in a thin and light casing, and more impressive considering that I'm not even running it on a table, but rather on a couch cushion.

The ambient temperature makes a big difference to these readings. Mine has gotten to the high 80s under load, but that was because our AC was out and it was uncomfortably warm inside Now, it's just about ideal room temperature (22C).

masugu
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Is it really so hard to google?

"Temperature Monitor"
Umm. Yeh. I've heard of Google... Say, maybe Macnn should shut down and we should all go to Google instead. I was looking for a little Mac Community insight / et al.

Thanks for your help

adil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 02:48 AM

my 1.83 macbook runs aroun 60-65 doing normal stuff (music, safari, torrents, msn) and the max has been around 73. (watching movie or transfering files)
not rly too hot for me, as lon as its the norm amongst the others, im not worried.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by adil
my 1.83 macbook runs aroun 60-65 doing normal stuff (music, safari, torrents, msn) and the max has been around 73. (watching movie or transfering files)
not rly too hot for me, as lon as its the norm amongst the others, im not worried.
Thats what i get for normal web surfing, ms office...Feels warmer than my wifes12 inch PB

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 11:44 AM

My Blackbook idles at 71C at 1.5Ghz, this is ontop of a Vantec Coolerpad. I've taken to leaving it open instead of clamshell mode when connected to my LCD, which drops it down to ~67C.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

R0CK3TM4NN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 02:28 PM

Mines a week 21 blackbook and idles around 67-70 as well (temps read from istat nano and coreduotemp). Running yes > /dev/null it peaks at 85 and then the fan kicks on and it cools down to around 78 with the fan on full blast. For those with cpu temps idling in the 40-50's, is the case still pretty warm? I can use my macbook on my lap without too much discomfort, but it still gets fairly hot.

nickw311
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 03:24 PM

Both Temperature Monitor and CoreDuo Temp are showing the same, I am at about 65 - 70oC. This is a week 25 MacBook.

Some of those lower numbers from Temperature Monitor may have come from the hard drive temperature reading. That is what it defaulted to when I installed the program.
27" iMac C2D

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 05:06 PM

CoreDuoTemp and Temperature Monitor place mine at 63-65 °C idle or doing barely any work (4% CPU, iTunes playing). Going full blast it will hover between 83-87 °C. This is for a Week 19 MacBook (2GHz). I have it on a cooling pad most of the time (both at work and at home), since it gets uncomfortable to the lap for longer than 5 minutes.
( Last edited by ginoledesma; Jul 10, 2006 at 07:16 PM. )

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 09:08 AM

W8608 - week 8 - 2GHz/7200rpm HDD
running iTunes, BOINC, Core Duo Temp and Quicktime player... 79-82C

Supplemental cooling is the ticket.
Z

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by zac4mac
W8608 - week 8 - 2GHz/7200rpm HDD
running iTunes, BOINC, Core Duo Temp and Quicktime player... 79-82C

Supplemental cooling is the ticket.
Z
Hang on, that must be a MacBook Pro, seeing as the MacBooks started production around week 18. This thread is about the MacBook sans Pro
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 03:14 PM

I have a week 24 Macbook, 2.0GHz with a 5400RPM drive. Mine idles around 50-55°C and gets up to 76°C at full-load.

It gets a little toasty. If I use it in my lap I put a folder between it and the family jewels, solves the heat problem.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Daveecee
People with blazing hot MBs are worried about a kernel panic? I'd be more worried about killing my sperm.

hahahahahahahahaha. exactly!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 03:11 AM

Week 26 1.83 MacBook: currently at 49C, with Safari, Terminal, and Adium running. Can get up to 60C under light usage, and I've seen it in the 70s, but that's all. Fans only kick on when I'm under Windows, running something graphics-intensive.

Am I happy? Hell ****ing yes!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

dankar
Jul 13, 2006, 05:07 AM

Running Nikon Capture NX, with photoshop CS running in the background, converting raws. Temp ranges from 65˚C - 82˚C max, cpu 100%, current 2GHz. 82˚C alright with me, as long as it stays within that range. On normal load, web surfing, 57˚C max.

SHNAKE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 04:25 PM

Does anyone have a link of the internal layout of the MB? Everyones seems to be getting hot in a different place, maybe everyone has a different thermal bottleneck? Mine gets very very hot on the bottom back left hand corner. If the cpu is in the center like someone said then I am wondering what the heck is getting so hot over there. I also just noticed that the outside case of my Macbook is actually COOLER at full load than when idling. I figure that that makes a bit of sense in that while idling the fan is off so any excess heat ends up radiating out through the case, once the fan starts going more of the heat is directed out by the fan? That is the best guess that I could think up but I am welcome to other ideas. If this is true I would love if someone apple or otherwise would just release a simple script or something that would let me have the fan run 24/7 while I am plugged in or at the very least allow me to choose the temperature at which it kicks in. If i could have the fan running starting at 55C or something I think that the outside of the case could stay quite cool enough to put on my lap. Are there any fan control programs or mods that I could do that would allow me to control this? Also how difficult of a process is changing the thermal paste, I have done it a few times with desktop pcs but I would really rather not break my new macbook I only have a 1 year warranty so I don't really mind voiding it all THAT much although I would prefer not to have to. A fan control update or third party program seems like a much better solution to me.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 04:31 PM

As you can see the reason it gets warm at the left back corner is that that's where the motherboard is. The CPU (below the heat pipe) is not in the center, the fan is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules