Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare...too late???

AppleCare...too late???
grazhopper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 03:29 PM

Hi,

I bought my Powerbook G4 1ghz last year on January 31st, 2003. It is now February 3rd, 2004. Am I too late to purchase Apple Care? Will the penalize me because I'm 3 days short "too late"?

Any thoughts???

Thanks

justinf77
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 03:33 PM

Call up and ask. And do not waste any more time.
PowerBook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.3.3

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 03:55 PM

Probably. You most likely won't be able to get Apple Care but you could try and see
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

BlakIce
Feb 3, 2004, 07:25 PM

did they or do they inform you when your time is running out

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 10:08 PM

Unfortunately, you have waited too late. I just went through this with Apple Care a couple of weeks ago. I had intended to purchase the extended warranty before my year ran out, (for my 15" TiBook) but I let the year anniversary slip by me. I called Apple Care three days after the year anniversary purchase date and the tech said they couldn't sell it to me even if they wanted to, because their system would not accept the information.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 10:44 PM

I just signed up for Apple Care 363 days into my 1st year. i was curious about how to go about it. First, I register all my Apple products when I receive them. Today, on the 363rd day I logged on to the Apple Website. You'd think it wold be fairly easy to buy AppleCare. Well you can but after getting to the point of producing a credit card and not having my serial numbers asked for, I decided talking to a human was the better way. I first called the Apple
Store, about a 15 minute wait to talk to a person. They were willing to take my credit card number but were not able to verify for me when I bought my machine, nor verify serial numbers, so I asked to speak to someone who could. I think I got switched to someone in support after another 15 minute wait. When I asked if he could verify serial number and date of purchase ( Apple Store in Charlotte, NC ) he said I'll switch you over to "admin". Another 15 minutes and I was talking to someone in "admin". She asked what kind of computer I had and I replied Dual 1.25 MDD FW 800. She asked if that was a desktop? I said yes. I gave her the serial number. I then said there was a display also and she asked for that serial number. She then asked for my credit card and I asked when did I purchase the machine? February 5th she replied, I said yeah I thought it was the beginning of February and she said could you please hold? Sure. 10 minutes later she is back and asks for my credit card number. Gave her the credit card number and while waiting for the card to process I asked her if you could verify the serial numbers and she said and I'm not kidding, "you just gave them to me". I said o.k. not wanting to make a big deal out of it. She gave me an agreement number and said I would receive something in the mail. I said thanks and hung up. Well I'd like to get a verification email
which I haven't received yet. I assume I'll get one.
Second I would think if Apple Care is a money maker, they would send you a heads up email informing you time is running out. Maybe it's not.
Anyway, I'm feeling a little more secure about desktop and 20" cinema display, I still have 301 days on my Al 15 Powerbook.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 10:46 AM

I got both a letter from Apple informing me my limited 1-year warranty was almost up. And -- I still have not quite a week to go -- this letter came AT LEAST 2 weeks ago. Apple followed that up with a phone call, with someone more than willing to give me the info and take my credit card info from me. At that point, I'd already ordered the boxed Apple Care from the Apple Store, so I didn't do it.

So -- Apple DOES let you know, but probably only if your product is registered. As I said, I got both a letter and a phone call. It's to Apple's monetary benefit to get you to re-up, so they're certainly going to try to make it easy for you.

I would call the Apple store online (not a retail apple store) which is, i believe, 1-800-APPLE without delay. Look online for the number to make sure what I gave you is right. And I'd do it now.

And -- you can get a slight different kind of laptop insurance from Safeway. I have both.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 08:10 AM

Really. My desktop was registered, I'm certain.
I received no such warning. I did move during the one year but I made sure my new contact information was forwarded to Apple, 5 months before the anniversary date.

Forum Links
Forum Rules