Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Slow Speeds after Update - MBP

Slow Speeds after Update - MBP
macuser9909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2008, 04:35 AM

Does anyone know why might my MBP be running MUCH slower post 10.5.2 update? It was awesome before hand, and now I have many problems. I've force quit the most ever at this time. Garageband took like 25 bounces. I even have external monitor issues. Is there anything I can do? I am running Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gig RAM, MPB. Thanks.

lorenzo
Feb 14, 2008, 08:25 AM

...the same for me...
2.2 Santa Rosa MBP.
I'm starting to believe those who define early adopters guinea pigs

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2008, 08:59 AM

Have you guys tried to download the 10.5.2 Combo update form Apple's web page and re-apply it?
Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac OS X 10.5.2 Combo Update
Apple - Support - Downloads - Leopard Graphics Update 1.0

I have a 2.4 GHz MBP and I have no performance issues with 10.5.2 at all.

macuser9909  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2008, 04:39 PM

I will give that a try.. does it just replace the current update?

Cold Warrior
Feb 15, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by macuser9909 View Post
I will give that a try.. does it just replace the current update?
Reapplies it -- using the same update files, just overwriting with the ones from the combo updater. This is a common way to resolve issues that crop up right after updates.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2008, 02:35 AM

I am in the same boat - 10.5.2 seems to have slowed my system down on my AL PB 1.5. There are many times switching between apps that I get beach balling and - get this - if I have safari open and then click on my desktop to pull the finder to forefront nothing happens - safari stays in the forefront. I have to go to the dock and choose the finder. I reapplied the updates (combo) and still have the same problem. I'm miffed. I'm thinking about re-installing the whole OS... But all is well on my MP..

Possible causes (shot in the dark) - I had spaces enabled prior to the update.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2008, 11:40 AM

I installed 10.5.2 from Software Update yesterday, and I started to notice significant slowdowns; in fact my mouse was "jerky" as if something hugely processor-intensive was running in the background. Activity Monitor didn't show anything however. After a couple restarts the problem seemed to disappear.

So I tried Software Update again last night, and it would say "new software is available for your computer"... but the update window would pop up with nothing in it. Finally I tried again this morning, and the Graphics Update is available. So I'm installing it now, and hopefully there aren't more problems....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules