Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ODF files on Office 2007?

ODF files on Office 2007?
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 04:02 PM

I'm putting this in the lounge because it's really a PC app question, so I'm not sure if it belongs in the applications forums. Mods: Please move if you disagree.

I have a bunch of files in OpenOffice format (ODF) that I created on my Mac using OpenOffice. My work PC is now a Dell machine running Office 2007. Does anyone know of any add-ons for Office that will allow me to continue to use the OpenOffice file format. (I'm NOT going to be using .docx, etc.) I found one from Sun that supposedly worked with Word and Excel. Although I kinda sorta got the Word version to work it didn't work for Excel.

I'm just looking for some success stories before I convert all my stuff back to .doc. (What a step backwards.)

Thanks ...
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2008, 06:19 PM

I take it you don't have admin privileges to install OpenOffice on your work PC, what's your IT team like? They may be OK with you using it instead, unless you need to use Office 2007 for compatibility with other colleagues. No reason why you can't use both though.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2008, 07:16 PM

I can install OpenOffice, but I need Office 2007 for various compatibility reasons. I'd prefer to not have two different office suites on my work PC. (But I will if there are no better alternatives.)

With ODF being an open standard you'd think Microsoft would at least have SOME support for it.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
With ODF being an open standard you'd think Microsoft would at least have SOME support for it.
Support is coming, it hasn't arrived yet. At this point you probably have no better choice than installing both.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Support is coming, it hasn't arrived yet. At this point you probably have no better choice than installing both.
Fair enough .... THANKS!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 11, 2008, 10:36 PM

Or if you don't want OpenOffice AND Office 2007 (which I despise, by the way), why not just open those documents in OpenOffice on your Mac and then save them in the SUPPORTED Office formats? OpenOffice WILL save word processing files as MS ".doc" files, spreadsheet files as MS ".xls" files, etc. Then all you have to do is move the MS-formatted documents to your work computer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Or if you don't want OpenOffice AND Office 2007 (which I despise, by the way), why not just open those documents in OpenOffice on your Mac and then save them in the SUPPORTED Office formats? OpenOffice WILL save word processing files as MS ".doc" files, spreadsheet files as MS ".xls" files, etc. Then all you have to do is move the MS-formatted documents to your work computer.
You know ... I feel silly. That's a simple and obvious solution ... not sure why I didn't think of it.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 12, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
You know ... I feel silly. That's a simple and obvious solution ... not sure why I didn't think of it.
I'm currently having to create and edit Word files between an office computer using Office 2007 (which likes to default to saving documents as ".docx" format files) and my MBP running Office 2004 (which now at least has the updates to translate .docx files). I feel your pain.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 11:49 AM

Ideally I'd like to use the OpenOffice format, if for no other reason than to break away from proprietary formats. I guess for the near future though I'll have to use the .doc "standard". I use ".docx" would go away though ... it's causing a TON of interoperability grief among my team and customers. That format's the most "un-standard" thing I've seen.

Thanks for the understanding and the help.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 12:40 PM

I'm currently having to create and edit Word files between an office computer using Office 2007 (which likes to default to saving documents as ".docx" format files) and my MBP running Office 2004 (which now at least has the updates to translate .docx files). I feel your pain.
It's pretty funny that Office won't even allow users to share files easily with other Office owners thanks to their new "standard".

I have Office 2008 on my Mac for absolute emergencies. Luckily I have found Pages and Numbers more than up to the task so far.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 12, 2008, 12:44 PM

I set NeoOffice to automatically save in .doc format because a lot of my work is done on campus computers with 2007/2008. I don't even try and mess with NeoOffice's spreadsheet app...I'm just much more familiar with Excel that it's frustrating to try and use.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 03:09 PM

I agree about Andrew's comments about Numbers and Pages. My only complaint about those apps (other than the learning curve for Pages) is that they use yet another proprietary format. I wish Apple had embraced the OpenOffice file format for those apps.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

finboy
Oct 12, 2008, 09:12 PM

Be careful. I tried that for a month or so. There are some things that Office 2004 can't translate correctly from .docx and .xlsx . That popup from M$oft isn't just FUD, I had real problems with it time after time. I ended up going to 2008 (home version) to be effective. Believe me, I wish there was another way. Office 2000 at home works just great (PC) as long as I have my MacBook to translate attachments once in a while (daily now).

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Be careful. I tried that for a month or so. There are some things that Office 2004 can't translate correctly from .docx and .xlsx . That popup from M$oft isn't just FUD, I had real problems with it time after time. I ended up going to 2008 (home version) to be effective. Believe me, I wish there was another way. Office 2000 at home works just great (PC) as long as I have my MacBook to translate attachments once in a while (daily now).
Why try to use .docx at all? For compatibility with the other 3 people using it? Use OpenOffice format, or .doc .....

Did anyone actually standardize on .docx???? (gasp)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 13, 2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Fortunately for me, all I have to deal with is font size and otherwise just plain text. But I'll keep your warning in mind! Sheesh, why can't MS just standardize on a STANDARD?

Forum Links
Forum Rules