Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > SS Studio Pro

SS Studio Pro (Page 3)
I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
So here is the result of the true DVD SP 2 screenshots. If you like them better, cool; if not then dont worry, the previous look will be the basis for my variant.

This looks great. Awesome work Swiz, it's looking more authentic with every revision. I have no worries that the Apple version will look just as it should. What other versions do you have in mind?
Who'sDaMac?

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
That's not an FCP screenshot. That's a Soundtrack screenshot.
hmm, sorry, someone said it was, my bad. Anyway, this is gorgeous.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
hmm, sorry, someone said it was, my bad. Anyway, this is gorgeous.
I agree, but I hope Apple makes the interface consistent across DVD SP, FCP, Soundtrack, LiveType, Compressor and Cinema Tools before they release. As it stands now they all have a number of subtle and not-so-subtle differences. The worst is Compressor. It has this interface that looks like the brushed metal interface of the iApps, but without the brushed metal texture. It's just this muted gray. It's ass.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 07:31 PM

I have used several themes, and I've always gone back to aqua within a week or so. This is the first theme I've seen that I believe I can use on a daily basis for a very long time. It is clean and very professional. Man, I can't wait for this one. Beta, please?

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2003, 08:00 PM

Smack it up, Flip it, Rub it down.....

You know...I think you may have to also come up with the color alteration % numbers in PS so we can create an 'FCP Complete' look.... iCal, iChat widgets, etc from their aqua incrnations.

Perhaps as a variation.... sunken title bar widgets same as the 'push button' just a thought

Z
( Last edited by zazou; May 7, 2003 at 08:12 PM. )

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 7, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
Smack it up, Flip it, Rub it down.....

You know...I think you may have to also come up with the color alteration % numbers in PS so we can create an 'FCP Complete' look.... iCal, iChat widgets, etc from their aqua incrnations.

Perhaps as a variation.... sunken title bar widgets same as the 'push button' just a thought

Z
I'll get to that for sure. It will be a helluvalot easier than creating every element from scratch like I am now. Believe it or not, the "new aqua" look in DVD SP 2 is quite different from the current Aqua in terms of lighting.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 11:03 PM

just noticed this but...

no bubbles in the scrollbar.

it's almost a Max-ish move.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 7, 2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by unlinear:
just noticed this but...

no bubbles in the scrollbar.

it's almost a Max-ish move.
It wouldnt surprise me, Apple certainly took cues from him with regards to the sunken widgets, so it would be just like them to make the new revision of DVD SP2 not use bubbles just like Max.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

allap
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 11:52 PM

It wouldnt surprise me, Apple certainly took cues from him with regards to the sunken widgets
Not to mention the new glass buttons we see here and on the apple website (unless i'm mistaken and they came first.)

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 8, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by allap:
Not to mention the new glass buttons we see here and on the apple website (unless i'm mistaken and they came first.)
I do remember seeing some of the new style gloss buttons on the website a while ago but they have since (since Max's gloss release) been updated. Fishy eh?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 8, 2003, 12:39 AM

Tonights screenshot:

I can finally say that the following elements will not be altered again:
Push Button, Popup button, Progress bars, Tabs.

Sage
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 12:54 AM

That looks phenominal. The push buttons in paricular are just awesome looking, and the progress bars are really cool.

I'll have to echo everyone else to keep up the great work! I know that this will be a huge hit in the Mac theming community.

neo_2510
May 8, 2003, 02:48 AM

awesome This is the best I've every seen. I really love this.

Don't change anything that looks perfect. I will be very happy to get this theme.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 03:16 AM

Tonights screenshot:

I can finally say that the following elements will not be altered again:
Push Button, Popup button, Progress bars, Tabs.
I'm LICKING my screen right now!

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2003, 09:54 AM

Looks AMAZING, and to point out the obvious here, this is a long thred for a theme! Great job!
**gimme gimme gimme!!!**

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2003, 10:39 AM

Any chance of a rounded version of the real, unaltered look?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 8, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Any chance of a rounded version of the real, unaltered look?
Try reading the entire thread. Your answer is in there somewhere.
Who'sDaMac?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 9, 2003, 10:16 AM

Now everything you see in this screenshot is refined and complete. On to the less exciting elements.

neo_2510
May 9, 2003, 10:51 AM

Now everything you see in this screenshot is refined and complete. On to the less exciting elements.

The only thing I can say is WOW! Keep on going this looks amazing.

Macanoid
Senior User
May 9, 2003, 11:15 AM

another WOW here - Looks really beautiful!

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2003, 11:31 AM

ahh, subtle pinstripes, nice touch.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2003, 12:05 PM

Two Up!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 9, 2003, 12:23 PM

Very nice Swiz! It's really comming along

wagmedia
Forum Regular
May 9, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Two Up!

No, that's three thumbs up!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 12:51 PM

"SS Theme Previewer"? Did you write that program, or is it that "Theme Preview" app? If it's you're own could I get a copy of that?

I like very much, it might even keep me from using the final of DarkGlass lol... we'll see. I will use it on and off though I'm sure.
click one

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2003, 04:13 PM

Looks incredible. I can't wait!

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2003, 05:19 PM

Swizz, I checked out your site today.

Thats disapointing that you've only made $35 since you've started making themes avalable. People are cheap (me too, I admit i haven't donated)

However, I cand see this suspension doing you much good. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I can't see people having much influence to donate if they feel like they are being punished like that. Especially considering there is no imidate gradification to a donation (still can't download).

You might want to consider charging for your themes. I know that would be totaly going against what you are about, but if money is the problem, then I see that as a possible answer. I imagine a $5 fee for all themes would bring in much more than the $35/2 years that you currently rake in. I wouldn't mind paying, expecially for a theme like SS Studio....LOOKS SWEET!

Please don't flame me for proposing this. I really don't know your motivations for making themes, so I can't really say much more.

P.S- are you considering a sunken widgets version of this theme? Like Brushed or SmoothStripes sunken?
( Last edited by tyson.r; May 9, 2003 at 05:34 PM. )

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 06:18 PM

Looks sweet! The menu selected is kind of wierd though. May be a little darker?

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by tyson.r:
Swizz, I checked out your site today.

Thats disapointing that you've only made $35 since you've started making themes avalable. People are cheap (me too, I admit i haven't donated)

However, I cand see this suspension doing you much good. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I can't see people having much influence to donate if they feel like they are being punished like that. Especially considering there is no imidate gradification to a donation (still can't download).

You might want to consider charging for your themes. I know that would be totaly going against what you are about, but if money is the problem, then I see that as a possible answer. I imagine a $5 fee for all themes would bring in much more than the $35/2 years that you currently rake in. I wouldn't mind paying, expecially for a theme like SS Studio....LOOKS SWEET!

Please don't flame me for proposing this. I really don't know your motivations for making themes, so I can't really say much more.

P.S- are you considering a sunken widgets version of this theme? Like Brushed or SmoothStripes sunken?
It's one Z in Swiz, alright I am going to tell you my reason for making themes, this is probably not everyones so bare with me. I create themes for the love, enjoyment, and happiness it brings me. I like to make my machine look different. I love Apple and everything it has done. I see it silly to ask for money for a theme, not one theme maker is going to start charging for their theme(I hope) no matter how much work we put into them. It is a passion, a pastime. Something to give back to the comunity, something to show off our skills, get web site hits maybe, get people to maybe buy software we have made. 35 bucks is actually a ton of money for theme making in donations and I would die if anyone even gave me 5 bucks. I was going to say more but a hot girl distracted me and I have to go.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 06:52 PM

Donations are as far as I'd go... Charging isn't right.
click one

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
... I was going to say more but a hot girl distracted me and I have to go.
Hehehe.

snerdini
Senior User
May 9, 2003, 07:44 PM

Swiz, this looks fantastic! I think I have found my new favorite theme!
( Last edited by snerdini; Jun 10, 2003 at 11:54 PM. )

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 9, 2003, 07:48 PM

Charging for themes based on Apple's intellectual property may just be enough reason for Apple to sic [sp?] their legal teams on themers and bring an end to theming on OS X. That is not the kind of attention this community needs.

If you like a theme, any theme, a donation (no matter how small) to the themer should be a no-brainer.

BTW, back on topic. Swiz, SS Studio Pro is shaping up to be a very nice theme. I usually revert back to Aqua after a few days but I think that most would agree that this is a theme that could be used everyday. Great work!
Who'sDaMac?

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 9, 2003, 08:31 PM

Im definitely not going to start charging for themes, especially ones which I did not breath life into from concept to completion.

That being said, I HAD to remove the themes from being downloaded for fear of another $150 hosting bill due to user downloads.
I am trying to save money to build a house and I cant really do that when I incur exhorbatant hosting fees due to downloads of a product I make available with no development profit or otherwise.

I am considering alternate methods of making my themes available. I would hate to see themes start being traded on file sharing services though which is certain to happen if themers come up with any method other than just making their themes available at all times.

I dont know, all I do know is that I would rather not have my themes, both present and future not available publicly than make them available and pay huge hosting fees with no return. I mean think about it- Its almost like Im paying users to use my themes. I get no profit from development, as I shouldnt because afterall I do this for myself and just make them available for others who may like them, and then I post these free files to the net where whoever wants to can grab them for free- and I foot the $150 hosting bill. Hence I pay users to use my product. I dont want to sound greedy and I dont think I do for a second. Theme dev takes alot of time to do when you do a quality job.

Bottom line is, users pulled 25gigabytes of my themes just last month with no donations. If each users even just donated $1 my hosting situation would not exist. But I know how people think, the same way I do... "eh, whats $1 gonna do?" Well, I can tell you now that I know.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2003, 08:34 PM

give me all your money now!!!!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 9, 2003, 08:37 PM

If each users even just donated $1 my hosting situation would not exist. But I know how people think, the same way I do... "eh, whats $1 gonna do?" Well, I can tell you now that I know.
This is a bit like the iTMS. My credit card (and PayPal) charge me a minimum fee to pay in USD. so if I decided to give $1 it would end up costing me maybe $5. This is why paying for a lot of US shareware is a pain in the ass.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 9, 2003, 08:48 PM

I typed way too much up there.

Concise explanation-
Whatever can be done for me to not pay over my standard hosting fee each month is my goal. If that means mirrors or only select theme online at a time or whatever.

Im just not going to pay these huge hosting bills anymore.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 09:17 PM

Swiz,

Maybe you could look at what Mikkel Madsen did when he released his MMX Icon sets. Deviantart hosted his works with Mikkels own download page. http://www.mmicons.com

Just a thought......

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 09:20 PM

Just use mirrors! Or register for .mac, and use the idisk for your themes. It's pretty cheap (a lot cheaper than those bills you've been getting) and fast, unlimited bandwidth (I think). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Max seems to be using it well enough.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2003, 10:07 PM

i can host some of your themes if you would like. i got some pretty nice hosting from a friend and i dont think he would mind. too much.

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
May 9, 2003, 10:33 PM

How about any of the following:

1. Host the themes on .Mac -- Traffic may shut it down once in a while, but it's still only $99 per year, regardless of traffic.

2. Have people download them from ResExcellence or other sites that host themes.

3. Host them at DeviantArt or another Mod site theat lets users host content for download.

-mpm

Sage
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 10:54 PM

swiz - I know that you already said that that last screenshot represents the final version of SSSP, but is there any chance that you could darken up the menu text a bit (I prefer pure black, but a dark gray might do)... I don't want to be picky, but if you'll recall, I mentioned some time ago that I couldn't use SS Final Cut because of the low contrast between the menu background and the menu text, and while this is a much better contrast, I still think darker text would provide better everyday use.

Whatever you decide to do though, I will still use this theme, without a doubt. I am really excited about it- a theme that's not as bright as Aqua, but still provides Aqua's daily functionality. Pure bliss.

[edit]: Just a note that with all sincerity, I would donate not only to you but to all of the major themers out there (you, Max, Izawa, and a handful of others), but that'll have to wait for several years down the road... I'm only 15 years old, so paying "strangers" on the Internet doesn't exactly thrill my parents.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 9, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Just use mirrors! Or register for .mac, and use the idisk for your themes. It's pretty cheap (a lot cheaper than those bills you've been getting) and fast, unlimited bandwidth (I think). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Max seems to be using it well enough.
I am a registered .mac user but I though it had bandwidth limitations?....
Thats the ticket if there are no restrictions.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2003, 06:25 AM

Hey, I can host you if you want. I have no bandwith restrictions (except extreme) and unlim space.

If your interested email me at [email protected]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2003, 10:56 AM

I don't keep records of downloads total but I know that LOT of people are downloading from my iDisk and there are no restrictions so far. I guess it's around 15gb of downloads so far

I think I'll pay $99 for .Mac next year.. I love it very much

Macrat
Forum Regular
May 10, 2003, 11:07 AM

This theme is going to rock! I know that the main stuff is locked in now, but I think the edges of the scroll buttons are starting to get lost and blend in with the background. explanation

x user
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 01:05 PM

Even if there was a download restriction (Which I'm not sure, but if there is it's reltively high) on .Mac, you could get enough willing people to share their's as "mirrors". I know I don't use very much bandwidth on my .mac account at all.

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
May 10, 2003, 01:55 PM

I think there are bandwidth restrictions, but they don't charge you for overages. They just shut the site down for a short period of time. At leat this is what seems to happen from time to time to .Mac hosted sites that release new software on VersionTracker.

-mpm

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 02:13 PM

Bandwith is a pain.... You should check with http://www.ambitiouslemon.com/ they are hosting my theme site for free.
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
May 10, 2003, 06:22 PM

Ok, now for the dumb question:
Where do I put the themes in my iDisk so people can download them just by clicking the preview from my SS site? I dont want to have to forward them to my actual iDisk and that horrible UI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules