Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to copy iTunes/iPhoto files from one computer to another?

How to copy iTunes/iPhoto files from one computer to another?
RickR
Baninated
May 25, 2007, 04:14 AM

I have a MBP and have put many of my CD's on iTunes and family photos on iPhoto. With the new MBP upgrade expected soon my wife is going to be buying one. My question, how can I copy iTunes and iPhoto data to her computer? Is there an easy way to duplicate everything from my computer to hers?

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2007, 04:42 AM

You should be able to just copy your iphoto library (in pictures folder) and your itunes library (in music folder) over to her computer

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 25, 2007, 08:22 AM

Or use the Migration Assistant (and a firewire cable) when you first start up her computer.

Scott-G
May 25, 2007, 10:49 AM

If you are just trying to copy the iTunes and iPhoto directories and not your entire account you do not need to use migration assistant. Just use firewire target disk mode.

To do this you will need a firewire cable to connect the two computers.

1) Set up your wife's computer with her new account.
2) Shut your MBP down and connect it to the new MBP with the firewire cable.
3) Start up your MBP holding down the "T" key until you see the firewire symbol appear on your screen.
4) Your MBP hardrive should mount on the new MBP as a regular drive.
5) Copy whatever files you want to her computer, drag your HD to the trash to unmount it, power your MBP down and disconnect.

If you copy the directories to their correct locations your wife should see them when she launches iTunes and iPhoto for the first time. If you copy them to diffent locations, hold the option key down when starting the apps to bring up a dialog to select them.

Scott

markw10
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2007, 04:12 AM

Will she need to do anything special to import these files into the associated programs or will copying the directories over solve this?

JKT
Professional Poster
May 26, 2007, 04:56 AM

If you put the Library folders in the default locations then no. When iTunes/iPhoto launch they will find and use those folders as if they had been there all the time. If you don't put them in the default locations, you will need to hold down the option key as you launch each app and navigate to and select the folders as the Libraries to be used.

bc130
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 11:42 PM

You can always just use a memory stick...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 12:11 AM

Get a firewire cable and use target disc mode - much better than a memory stick.

Forum Links
Forum Rules