Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs, epson 740i and Zip USB

New iMacs, epson 740i and Zip USB
fady
Sep 2, 2000, 11:09 AM

Hi,

My girlfriend is interested in buying an iMac. She also needs a printer and a zip drive. She already has a Stylus 640. My questions are the following:

1) Is there still an issue of crashes when both a USB Zip 100 and an epson 740 printer are plugged into an iMac? Was it only with a certain generation of iMacs? Would she have the problem with her new Indigo iMac DV?

2) Are parallel-to-USB adapters (Belkin) good? They only run for 40$ CA here and it's cheaper than buying a 740 (140$ CA). Any info on those? Which one of the 2 options is the best?

It's gonna be her first move toward Macs and I want it to be smooth. She's been using my iMacDV SE and I think she likes it. She was initially shopping for a PC but there so many details to watch out that it drove her nuts cause she doesn't want to worry about that. Help me out please!

F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2000, 11:46 AM

Just one tip to smooth operation:

Don't install the software on the Iomega CD for the Zip - the drivers are in the OS ROM - the Zip will operate form there - just try it to see.

There have been many reports of wonky behaviour of all types due to conflicts between the Iomega software and the built in drivers.

WDL

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2000, 12:59 PM

Is this the Belkin adapter you mean? http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...rsAndCables%2F

I briefly read the FAQ, and it seems it could be a bit of a headache.

If you wish to travel the adapter route, I suggest the Epson USB adapter USB (Adapter Kit - C-USB-PK4). I've used it with an Epson Photo 700 on an iMac and a B/W G3 to good success. They have it @ http://www.macconnection.com for $39.95

As for the Zip drivers, make sure you have version 2.4 or 2.5. If not on the CD, you can download them from http://www.iomega.com which gives you the Iomega Tools Suite. WDL is correct; you do not need any Iomega drivers to use the drive (you can read, write, and erase--using the "Erase Disk" command from the Special menu). Iomgea Tools gives you a buncha other stuff you might use (though I never do...)

HTH....
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

roders
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2000, 04:16 PM

I have a ZIp 100MB & a Epson 740i connected to my iMac and both have worked like a peach since I staretd using them.
P.S take WDL's advice & do not install ANY of Iomega' software, just let the Mac OS's bulit in drivers deal with the drive itself, + I have heard poeple that have had a lot of probs with Epson drivers (specificaly updates) I've has a little experience witht this, but I simply reverted to the old drivers that came with my 740i & everything was fine.
The 740i is a really good printer for the $$, the software is also good and easy to use, although I believe it has been /is being superseeded by the 760/i.
BTW I own a Rev "C" iMac.
Good luck!

Danny DLT
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2000, 05:37 PM

The Epson Stylus Color 740 is not $140. It is now a discontinued model and you can find it for less than $100. I got my mom to buy that exact model for her work and she got it at Office Depot for $89 (no kind of discounts or anything).

Might want to look around,

--Danny

------------------
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/64/10/9.0.4

[This message has been edited by Danny DLT (edited 09-02-2000).]
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/192/10/9.1

jhounslow
Sep 10, 2000, 01:05 PM

I'm using the Epson USB to parallel adapter kit with my Stylus colour 800. It works wonderfully.

The 740 is a discontinued model. Futureshop is currently selling it for CND $109. Epson released the 770 last week. It's SRP is USD $100.

Jim

tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2000, 08:37 PM

I'm using the Epson USB-Parallel kit on my Epson Stylus 600 color and it works great.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2000, 04:04 PM

I have a new Indigo iMac DV. I bought a USB Zip 100 drive and already had an Epson SC740. I just switched the cable on it to USB and have had no troubles between the two.

I did have some sort of conflict with the Control Strip modules that Iomega placed when I installed the Iomega software off the CD. My iMac kept freezing on start up until I started with the control strip and extensions off and removed the Iomega module(s) from the conrol strip.

[This message has been edited by Indigo Boy (edited 09-11-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules