Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mighty Mouse: Sudden cursor movement?

Mighty Mouse: Sudden cursor movement?
Ryknow215
Sep 14, 2006, 04:57 PM

Hi everybody. A couple weeks ago, I got a refurbished (wired) Mighty Mouse from the Apple store for $10 cheaper than the regular retail price. So far, I love it except for a sudden cursor movement. The mouse works great when I use it constantly over a period of time. However, if I leave it stationary for a little bit, a minute or so, the next time I grab it and start moving, the cursor shoots to any of the four corners of the screen. Then the mouse proceeds to scroll normally once I pull it out of the corner, like nothing ever happened. The sensitivity on the mouse isn't set that high, only one bar above halfway in SystemPrefs. It doesn't pull to the corner every time I leave it stationary, but it happens enough to be noticeable and annoying.

What's the deal? Anyone else see this kind of behavior with their Mighty Mouse on their iBook? If it wasn't for this unexplained movement, the MM would be fantastic.

Thanks.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 05:25 PM

Please don't be offended with my suggestion - do you have any other mice plugged in, or are you accidentally touching the trackpad?

There is a large chance that you're too intelligent to do this, but when I recently bought a wireless Logitech mouse, I left my old MS one plugged in, but moved it to on top of the pile of wires behind my monitor. Then, I wondered why the cursor was moving around every time I bumped the table...

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Ryknow215  (op)
Sep 14, 2006, 06:31 PM

LOL. No offense taken.

No other mice are plugged in and I have the SystemPrefs set up to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is present.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2006, 08:34 PM

my mighty mouse which came with my MacPro has done that a couple times. Not often, but a couple times. I have no clue what it is, and I don't recall if it happened after leaving the mouse stationary, but... just for reference.

and, just in case you were wondering, it's the only mouse on my system, there's no trackpad (well, duh... it is a mac pro), and fwiw, it's plugged into the hub in the keyboard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules