Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best PDA

Best PDA
dennett
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 12:35 AM

Which current PDA is the best, in terms of compatability and quality, for use with a Mac? I had a Palm Pilot about 5 years ago that worked well, but has long since died. My professional life has recently gotten incredibly complicated with lots of meetings and many on-going projects and due dates. I need some help!

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 01:29 AM

Anyone have any experience with the Palm Z22? It seems a good basic choice that'd do everything I need...???

Ryknow215
Sep 15, 2006, 12:32 PM

I have a Palm T|X and it works quite well with my iBook. The support CD came with installers for OS X and Windows on it. I have had no problems with syncronization or transfers between the Mac and the handheld.

The T|X has wifi for wireless web browsing and bluetooth capabilities for syncs with Macs and sending data to/from other handhelds. Unfortunately, I don't have the bluetooth equipped iBook.

It also has Word/Excel/Powerpoint already on it to edit your professional stuff on it. For $300, it has worked out well for me.

Palm - Products - Palm TX handheld
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 04:56 PM

It really depends on what your needs are. For basic calendar/contact management, a Palm will be fine. The only problem I've seen with the T|X is that some of them, for whatever reason, just don't sync over Bluetooth.

If you need more advanced functionality, check into Pocket PCs.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2006, 01:53 AM

get the ppc6700, this way your not carrying a cell phone and a pda, it does the job of both of them and it does it really well.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 11:36 AM

What I'm really looking for is basic calendar/contact management, plus Mac compatibility. The idea of one of the different phone combo units is a possibility, but how compatible are the different units? It seems the basic Palm Z22 may actually do everything I need, and only cost $99. But them I'm left carrying a phone and a PDA, so I just don't know Maybe I'll buy the cheap Palm, see if it solves my issues, and then possibly pass it on to my wife and go with one of the high-end phones.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2006, 12:31 PM

You may want to consider the Palm Treo 650 which is a cellphone and PDA in one. It comes with Palm Desktop for OS X in the box so compatibility shouldn't be a problem. I've been using one for quite some time now and love it.

dennett  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 08:54 PM

I bought the Palm Z22 last weekend and have been very happy with it. It's pretty no frills, but is fully compatible with iCal and has been working great. It's also a nice way to carry family photos and is easy to use with iPhoto.

ronniev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dennett View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Palm Z22? It seems a good basic choice that'd do everything I need...???

I have purchased the Palm Z22. I also had the T2. I can not seem to get either of them to sync directly with my ibook G4. Do I need to use something like missing sync to make that happen?

indigoimac
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 08:24 PM

I have a Zire 72s and can't live without it, I'll probably upgrade to a blackberry when I get sick of my current cell phone and want to lighten my load.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2006, 09:30 PM

Palm Tungsten E2--buy a blemised one from either overstock.com or the palm store for $140.

I like the Palm OS. It reminds me of my Mac interface. I tried windows mobile devices and they are too complicated and not anywhere near as easy to use as the E2.

I used a TX for awhile but sold it bec. it was just too much for my need. It was too heavy and I felt like I had to be extra careful with it... The E2 is practical, simple, light weight, bright screen, and has great battery life. toss it around and I don;t worry about it.

The only downside is that some Palms buzz. It is related to the screen and the touch sensitive plastic overlay. The level of buzzing varies greatly and I had to exchange my first one bec. it was driving me nuts. The second E2 I received is virtually inaudible. This problem seems to effect all Palm devices nto just the E2, so you may have to do an exchange if you get a bad one. overstock was cool and took care of all the shipping and i had a replacement wi a week.

you get a little amazon.com gift certificate from palm:

Palm - Palm Pays Back Program

jawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2006, 04:46 PM

If you use Entourage I would go with a Blackberry. I love my 8700.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 04:26 AM

i just got the palm tx, it's amazing.
am using it as a pda, plus...

wifi for email, web surfing
hotsync with bluetooth (using isync, to ical and address book)
music with pockettunes
movies with tcpmp
(got a 4g card!)

the mp3 player sounds almost as good as my nano (almost).

plus ereader for e books
some games
etc

well worth it!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jawn View Post
If you use Entourage I would go with a Blackberry. I love my 8700.

I second that. I love my 8700. Push email that really works sans Exchange Server. Can't beat that. The new Indigo that should be out Q1 '07 is slimmer and has a micro sd slot too. not to mention wi-fi.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Forum Links
Forum Rules