Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about USB hubs

Question about USB hubs
George1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 02:35 PM

I need a USB hub to get everything connected. I looked at one in Walmart. It had a power supply for the hub and 4 ports. What worried me was it said for OS X the hub would need a third party driver.

Can anyone recommend a USB hub that works with their Mac and where to get one. Do they need a seperate driver to work?

Thanks

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 02:58 PM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 03:07 PM

I have never had any problems with generic usb hubs that don't specify mac compatibility. PCI cards on the other hand are much different.

Any suggestions for the cheapest (powered) USB hub?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 03:31 PM

Belkin ~$9-12: available practically everywhere, have 2 of them now (1x 4port, 1x 7port), notta problemo, notta drivers, plug & play 4 sure
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Ryknow215
Oct 11, 2006, 03:38 PM

Belkin : Belkin USB 4-Port Hub

This is what I use with my iBook. Works brilliantly. Plug and play, no installation of third party drivers or any garbage like that. Your best bet may be to shop around a bit. I got mine on eBay for $4, maybe you can find a similar deal. Or just pay $20 and have a brand new one.

Cheers
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

cruisereg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 11:07 PM

I use the Belkin 7 port USB hub (model #F5U237V1) at work. I like the two vertical ports to pop in usb keys quickly and easily.
2GHz MacBook w/2Gb RAM & 120Gb disk

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 01:26 PM

I have a Kensington 7-port hub with weighted base. Seems to work just fine. (I don't know the model number, but it did come with a free flylight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules