Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mail client Help

Mail client Help
pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 05:28 AM

I want to know if the default email application on a macbook will support the paid hotmail accounts.

I also want to know if I can use ichat with my hotmail address or is there something I have to do to make it work?

Can you also suggest a good email client if it wont work witht the default that is provided.

I currently pay for my hotmail so I can save all of my emails to my computer through outlook 2003.

azncreazion
Feb 28, 2007, 01:08 AM

Yes you can. Hotmail you can use with adium.

Ryknow215
Feb 28, 2007, 06:26 AM

Actually, as far as I know, you can't access Hotmail with any kind of external mail apps. They have a blurb on their page that says they used to allow POP3 and SMTP access to Hotmail accounts, but they don't anymore for security.

Hotmail you can use with adium.
You mean MSN Messenger. You can't send/receive emails through Adium but you can use it as a MSN client.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ryknow215 View Post
Actually, as far as I know, you can't access Hotmail with any kind of external mail apps. They have a blurb on their page that says they used to allow POP3 and SMTP access to Hotmail accounts, but they don't anymore for security.

You mean MSN Messenger. You can't send/receive emails through Adium but you can use it as a MSN client.
According to here http://join.msn.com/hotmailplus/features-std#4

The paid version allows access via Outlook Express, Outlook 2002 (XP), or later versions. If it works for them, you should be able to set up the Mac equivalent.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 06:53 AM

I hook up to my free Hotmail account using a Mail plug-in (I'll edit in the details later, should be able to google to it though)

However, it's not ideal as it struggles to feed info back to hotmail when you wish to delete emails, etc, but it's fine for downloading your inbox, etc.

Anyone else have any experience with hooking up to hotmail through Mail smoothly?

pra9ab0y  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 07:42 AM

I already have a paid hotmail account and use it with outlook already!

Will I be able to use mail to download my emails in OSX?

Nivag
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 11:29 AM

I guess so, I haven't worked on any Macs that have had a paid hotmail account so I can't confirm it.

Check the account settings in Outlook and try to replicate them in Apple's Mail.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 11:52 AM

If Hotmail uses the open IMAP or POP standard, sure, it's fair game to any client...

If it doesn't, this is left up to the whims of Microsoft. If this is the case, I would honestly recommend moving away from Hotmail while you can (if it isn't too late). Having your vital data in a proprietary format like this is simply not a good idea, especially if they don't provide a mail export function.

pra9ab0y  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 06:02 PM

it would take forever to get a new email!

ive got ebay, paypal, macnn, amazon, xbox live and so on...

I have only ever had 1 email account!

Forum Links
Forum Rules