Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > CS3 style icons

CS3 style icons
Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 12, 2007, 11:15 AM

CS3 style icons are now available for your non-Adobe applications. The current version can be downloaded from TEH ICONS | Simple icon replacements.

A new version with more apps will be out soon. You can even create your own with the included Photoshop template and contribute to the icon set.

Here's an example of what it looks like with an Uno theme.

Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

heiesuke_oda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2007, 04:22 AM

Pretty kool, looks so nice and tidy.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 12:42 PM

One reason I am not a big fan of this, is because square icons really weigh down the look of the dock. If this is to work I think you'll need to replace the icon for everything in your dock, the trash included. Non-square shaped icons on the right hand side of your dock look so small and strange next to the mass of square icons to the left.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 16, 2007, 01:46 PM

That's why I removed the three folder shortcuts from the right side of my dock. Those shortcuts had aliases to apps. I just moved the apps to the main part of the dock. It looks really good once you populate the Dock with many apps using this icon set.

I've done a further 20 icons for popular apps and the new version of the icon set is ready to download. It also has icons for the Finder and Trash as you can see in the first screen capture. Ideal for use with Candy Bar. The download also includes a PSD file for making your own icons.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
One reason I am not a big fan of this, is because square icons really weigh down the look of the dock. If this is to work I think you'll need to replace the icon for everything in your dock, the trash included. Non-square shaped icons on the right hand side of your dock look so small and strange next to the mass of square icons to the left.
I agree somewhat, although Aron, this is a beautiful set. I've been using IconFactory's iPhonica set. They look great standalone, but next to "regular" icons, they look very out of place.

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson
I've done a further 20 icons for popular apps and the new version of the icon set is ready to download.
Aron, you may want to also consider a "Tv," which people could use for TiVo Download Manager, EyeTV or any other similar app. Just a thought... And nice work.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 17, 2007, 08:52 AM

I agree somewhat, although Aron, this is a beautiful set. I've been using IconFactory's iPhonica set. They look great standalone, but next to "regular" icons, they look very out of place.
That's a nice set too although now it looks like much of the design industry is moving away from curved corners. For a year or so out of the last six, designers really went OTT and put curves on every four sided shape they could find. Curved corners will remain for some time, for widgets etc, but for the most part ot looks like icons are going to be simplified and GUIs/window managers are heading towards borderless fullscreen (ie Scrivener, iPhoto, Lightroom, ZBrush, etc) and resolution independent interfaces.

Aron, you may want to also consider a "Tv," which people could use for TiVo Download Manager, EyeTV or any other similar app. Just a thought... And nice work.
The main author of the icon set is David who owns that site. I and two others credited there contributed further icons. As I said, a PSD template is included with the icon set for anyone to contribute more icons.

godofodd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2007, 05:56 PM

I love this. As I have yet to find replacements for the CS3 icons, I shall just replace everything else to match. Brilliant!

I must say I'm surprised to see there is no QuarkXPress or StuffIt-related icons. Thank goodness there's the PSD. Thanks.

cypher7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 11:30 AM

I made same, a few days ago.
Here is the result:

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Apr 27, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by cypher7 View Post
Here is the result:
Odd, they seem to blur after a time and lack distinction.

Then again, I don't have that many items in my Dock.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2007, 01:04 PM

As neat of an idea it is, I had a hard time finding icon in cypher7's dock.
One thing I'm not crazy about square or round icons is that they lose their "shape" in your dock. I like how the finder icon is rectangular, safari is round, mail is a vertical rectangle, newsfire is round with a bulge on the right (my icon has a globe with a plug on the side), proteusx is a chat bubble, etc.

They all have a shape which I have learned. Less so their position but more so what they look like. I'm lost looking at that dock with exact same shaped/sized icons in it.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2007, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by cypher7 View Post
Here is the result:
ech.

1. You should have used the PDF file for the pack I linked to. It's very faithful to the original.
2. Use Adobe's CS3 color wheel for choosing your colors.
3. Your font choice is off. Use Myriad or even better Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk.
4. You made them too shiny.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
As neat of an idea it is, I had a hard time finding icon in cypher7's dock...
They all have a shape which I have learned. Less so their position but more so what they look like. I'm lost looking at that dock with exact same shaped/sized icons in it.
It's easy to get used to it after a few hours of use just like any customization. What I like most is how clean the resulting look is.

voo
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2007, 07:03 PM

I dunno if its just me but since Adobe has started this and everyone has jumped the bandwagon I find this lame.

1: It looks and feels like play school.
2: It looks as if they are trying to teach you how to spell!

This is what it reminds me of. I think Adobe's take on it is ugly as hell, no offense Aron.

jamiemcf
May 5, 2007, 11:37 AM

What's the font used in the original posters pack? Cos I wanna make some custom ones for apps I use frequently that don't have them but I don't have the font so I can't change the text...

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jamiemcf View Post
What's the font used in the original posters pack? Cos I wanna make some custom ones for apps I use frequently that don't have them but I don't have the font so I can't change the text...
Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk. You can use Myriad or Myriad Pro too.

Email David at the site if you need some help on that.

Aron Peterson  (op)
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by voo View Post
This is what it reminds me of. I think Adobe's take on it is ugly as hell, no offense Aron.
No offense taken. You'll have to blame Adobe for that

inkhead
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 08:28 PM

"Be original" Have all your icons the same.

FYI everyone who has complained about the new Adobe icons, have you ever looked at the old ones closely? All the white squares with small shapes on them next to each other? It's very hard to click the right one, for a long time I'd always launch ImageReady instead. Now with the new color scheme it's much harder to get Illustrator and Fireworks confused (similar colors). take a look at the old dock vs. the new dock, and you'll see that Adobe wasn't crazy when they created the new CS3 icon style, it was a smart UI move.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2007, 09:41 AM

too bad Adobe did not decide to use the Starburst style icons, alot more people round here would have like those.

voo
Forum Regular
May 8, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
"Be original" Have all your icons the same.

FYI everyone who has complained about the new Adobe icons, have you ever looked at the old ones closely? All the white squares with small shapes on them next to each other? It's very hard to click the right one, for a long time I'd always launch ImageReady instead. Now with the new color scheme it's much harder to get Illustrator and Fireworks confused (similar colors). take a look at the old dock vs. the new dock, and you'll see that Adobe wasn't crazy when they created the new CS3 icon style, it was a smart UI move.
I never had that problem with the previous set. I at least knew which the symbol represented. I've always liked the feathers since CS.

That sounds like a typical marketing gimmick that you just described. Considering the CS and CS2 icons have been around for what 4 years? and I don't ever remember people whining about them getting confused which icon represented its app.

vs

I think its very cheesy to have text on an icon, its different for filetypes but for the main Icon or App icon. Ugh. Hideous.

I really like Adam's CS3 icons based on the box art.

I know it shouldn't matter about the icons but the main thing is the app, but a square gradient and text is extremely lame. It really drives me nuts with things like that. At least Adam's has style.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by voo View Post

I really like Adam's CS3 icons based on the box art.

those are gorgeous - along with these and these

Forum Links
Forum Rules