Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook gift...Now what?

iBook gift...Now what?
lynch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 05:30 AM

I was recently given a Mac iBook G4 like this one:
Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0
It has a lot of stuff left on it from the previous owner and I would like to start the Mac Experience from the very beginning, ie.:
install the OS
Set it up for my own uses
learn more about it's hardware ( I'm a PC tech)
Try installing other OSs ( I'm also Linux+ and help mod a few Linux forums)
I asked for the disks that came with it but the friend who gave me this amazing little lappy has to look around for them. It was a gift to his daughter who got a newer comp and gave it back to him. He said he didnt use it at all ( a hopeless windows user ) and offered it to me because I usually do all his computer related service/maintainence. I, of course said I would take it.
So, here I am, waiting to get started and looking forward to any links or tips you may have.
lynch

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 05:38 AM

Welcome to the Mac!

Well, you should be able to boot from the restore disks and reformat the drive and reinstall OS X, what system are the restore disks? 10.3, or .4? I know that Yellow Dog Linux ($99 I believe) is PPC and hacked versions of Feisty run on PPC.
Signature depreciated.

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 08:23 AM

Not sure it is exactly what you are looking for, but I invite you to check out the iSwitched link in my sig. It offers good info for switchers. Welcome to the Mac...
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 03:42 PM

Mactracker (which you can download from versiontracker.com) says that particular iBook came with 10.4.2 so you can go online and download the combo updater to 10.4.10

Also, it came with 512 MB RAM onboard, and you'd get better performance if you put a 1 GB RAM chip in the one slot, giving you 1.5 GB total. The iBook has the absolute best wireless range!

Do you have the admin password? If you don't, you're definitely gonna need the install disks to change the password. If you do have the admin password, you can change the short login name with "changeshortname" from versiontracker.com. Or you can establish a second admin account and just routinely login as that account. Deleting the original admin account has been known to cause problems, so be sure to use changeshortname if you don't like the original login name. Just trash everything in the documents folder, etc.

Erasing the HD and reinstalling may not be the best option if you don't have the install disks for any extra software like MS Office. But, doing an archive-and-install would be the best way to go, and would still allow Office to work (although some other 3rd-party might need to be reinstalled...) After you've verified that everything's working, you can just trash the previous System.

Best book to learn more about 10.4: The Missing Manual series by David Pogue.

Welcome to the forums and to the iBook!

lynch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I dont have the install disks( my freind is still trying to find them) and I dont have the admin password but he said he'd ask his daughter for it when she calls him next( she is serving in Iraq). There's nothing on this iBook that I need to save so a re-install is what I had planned to do.
thanks again
lynch

Ryknow215
Jun 29, 2007, 08:43 AM

Congrats on the gift, you'll love it! Make sure that once you get OS X reinstalled, you check out this thread to see macnn posters' top apps that they use. Personally, I can't live without iMote (an iTunes controller).

Have fun and welcome to Mac!
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2007, 05:02 PM

Well, good luck on finding the install disks! That's pretty critical, but if you have the admin password, you can certainly live with the current system install until Leopard comes out in October (because that would be the system to buy.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules