Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac-Friendly Universities/Colleges

Mac-Friendly Universities/Colleges
command-tab
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2002, 09:08 PM

Anyone know of any colleges or universities that use Macs and are in the NJ/PA/DE tri-state area? Aracadia (Beaver) and Bucknell have Mac labs, but it's tough to find any others...most colleges don't specifically list their computer resources, but, judging by the FAQ on their websites, it seems that they use Wintel machines. Anyone have a suggestion?

[email protected]

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2002, 09:34 PM

Princeton

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2002, 09:43 PM

NYU

Slightly outside your list but close enough, lots of Mac labs and kiosks, and conveniently located just one mile from Ground Zero.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 09:54 PM

Ithaca...sort of.

--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 10:43 PM

Mac-Friendly in Higher Ed actually exists somewhere? Wow! It sure dosen't in North Carolina.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by --Helen--:
<STRONG>Mac-Friendly in Higher Ed actually exists somewhere? Wow! It sure dosen't in North Carolina.

</STRONG>
Oh now! Just because UNC sold its soul to IBM doesn't mean that they aren't Mac friendly� Oh, wait, it does.

Anyway (while everyone is throwing out ideas), I happen to be looking for a Mac friendly journalism school in the NYC or Washington DC area. Has anyone had a good experience somewhere?

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 11:15 PM

Hofstra University (my school) supports Mac, infact i'm going to work in the resnet office (hopefully) and just do mac support...
Our entire communications departmnet (0ne of the largest on the east coast) is Mac

We used to have 2 smaller labs, but they have been combined into one w/ 60+ machines
alot of Macs in the dorms

P.S we are about 25 min from Penn Station, right in the heart of the city

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: solidage ]

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 11:17 PM

What other Mac-Friendly colleges are there in the country?

--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2002, 11:22 PM

Probably De Anza Community College and Stanford.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2002, 11:22 PM

Here at Drexel, we used to be exclusively Mac. Everyone needed to get a Mac for their own personal use until the mid 90's. Even back further, my boss was telling me that kids in the halls would hook up their SE/30's through localtalk and play games and stuff. But nooooooooo, Dr. Papadakis (president), decided that cost was the bottom line. Sufficely to say, it's mostly Wintel now, but they do support both platforms well. Although it offends me when faculty must justify to the administration as to why they specifically require a Mac. Can't they see? It's the Computer, stupid.

Our school is essentialy in bed with Microsoft, but we do have a Sun system as well like any other academic institution. What is nice though is that we have a nice MS license that will let students and faculty upgrade their OS's to 2k or XP free of charge as well as Office Pro, etc. I just downloaded Office X for X off our LAN, and it cost ZERO.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: milhous ]
F = ma

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2002, 11:25 PM

What other Mac-Friendly colleges are there in the country?
Harvard

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: GK ]

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2002, 12:04 AM

Cornell
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Thunderbird
Senior User
Jan 24, 2002, 12:08 AM

When I went there, every dorm room at Drake University (Des Moines) had a Macintosh in the room. I don't know if they still do or not, though.

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 24, 2002, 12:17 AM

University of California, Irvine.

The bookstore had all of their display Macs running OS X when it first came out.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 01:18 AM

U of Minnesota is very Mac-friendly - iMac kiosks all over the place, Mac instructions for all the networking stuff.

Not to mention there's a huge 802.11 wireless network!

[edit: got my protocol numbers mixed up!]

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: awaspaas ]

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2002, 01:38 AM

The collages that I have been looking at all suport macs
UVM with big lab most supported
Rensselaer Polytech
UMO

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: G4ME ]

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2002, 02:52 AM

Carleton College is very Mac friendly. We even have a whole lab full of super-drive equipped G4s.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 02:58 AM

1394 wireless network? thought it was 802.11 but whatever. Just about every artschool in the country is mac friendly, just cause us artists are dumb. MD institute (my alma mater) is quite mac friendly, and Md is kinda close to PA which is in your range Pratt and SVA in your vacinity are both mac savvy too.

Nick

PseuFighter
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 08:32 AM

Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, and Boston University all have nice Mac labs. I assume most colleges do.

We have a little college in Massachusetts, Wheaton, that has a huge selection of G4's and iMac labs. The walls are covered with Apple posters aswell. If I can recall correctly, last year, giant think different photos were hanging from the student union rafters.
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2002, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
<STRONG>U of Minnesota is very Mac-friendly - iMac kiosks all over the place, Mac instructions for all the networking stuff.

Not to mention there's a huge 802.11 wireless network!</STRONG>
I'm glad to hear that. When I was at the U of M (Minneapolis Campus), I did my final paper on a Mac SE using Word 5.0. Ah, those were the days!

Eloise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 10:34 AM

Northwestern is mac friendly.
Bucknell did not used to be - glad to hear they've come up to speed on something at least.
"The opposite of war isn't peace... it's creation." - Jonathan Larson

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>What other Mac-Friendly colleges are there in the country?</STRONG>
NOT PURDUE. They have stopped buying Macs all together in the past few months. Our user group is trying to petition them to keep buying them because of the greatness of OSX.

On a side note, I was happy that I find a lab full of Cubes and G4's yesterday afternoon. Too bad it was only for education majors

We computer science majors are stuck with nasty ole Solaris machines or Win2k.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
<STRONG>Here at Drexel, we used to be exclusively Mac. Everyone needed to get a Mac for their own personal use until the mid 90's. Even back further, my boss was telling me that kids in the halls would hook up their SE/30's through localtalk and play games and stuff. But nooooooooo, Dr. Papadakis (president), decided that cost was the bottom line. Sufficely to say, it's mostly Wintel now, but they do support both platforms well. Although it offends me when faculty must justify to the administration as to why they specifically require a Mac. Can't they see? It's the Computer, stupid.

Our school is essentialy in bed with Microsoft, but we do have a Sun system as well like any other academic institution. What is nice though is that we have a nice MS license that will let students and faculty upgrade their OS's to 2k or XP free of charge as well as Office Pro, etc. I just downloaded Office X for X off our LAN, and it cost ZERO. </STRONG>
That REALLY blows! When I went to Temple, I lived on Saunders Ave (38th & Lancaster) yeah pretty hardcore. Anyway, my roomates were at Drexel and had Macs (early 90's). I, of course, used to talk all kinds of sh!t about how Macs suck, etc., until I had to borrow one to write a paper. I haven't looked back since. Damn, I'm getting all kinds of flashbacks. Those were the days, now my f*cking electric bill is more than monthly rent used to be! Hey, do you know if Powelton Pizza, Scooters, Ways Lounge is still there?

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by --Helen--:
<STRONG>Mac-Friendly in Higher Ed actually exists somewhere? Wow! It sure dosen't in North Carolina.

</STRONG>

Yeah, the whole "You Must Buy a Thinkpad" thing at UNC kind of sucks. Some of the professors in the CS dept are still die hard Mac folks.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>The collages that I have been looking at all suport macs
UVM with big lab most supported
Rensselaer Polytech
UMO
[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: G4ME ]</STRONG>
Trust me, RPI is not the most Mac-friendly place in the world. Probably not the least, but pretty far down there. Every freshman is required to have a notebook, typically an IBM. You need to be able to run Maple for math classes, at the very least. Lots of classes have extensive online components, and it's uncertain what plugins/other crap is required. If you're going to be an engineer (For those who are unfamiliar, Rensselaer is 50% engineering students), you'll need MATLAB, and probably VirtualPC to run SolidWorks and/or Pro/ENGINEER. For CS, you'll probably be pretty good with OS X, but i can't say firsthand, as i wasn't a cs major.

chatwood2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2002, 12:10 PM

CMU has tons of macs. They used to be UNIX and mac only, but dropped that a few years ago. The computing services website has instructions for everything for both macs and PCs, and they make sure that getting email and the like is easy on both.

My only complaint about the network is that the dorms are only 10 base switched (as in every person is on a switched port), and you cannot have a router or hardware firewall. I guess they are afraid that someone would mess up setting it up and that it would screw that subnet. But, it would be nice.

The other great thing is that there is wireless LAN coverage everywhere! In the dorms, the classrooms, the middle of the quad, the restaurants, the bus stop. They have thousands of nodes, it is very very nice.

- Chris

Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 12:50 PM

Bowling Green State University has more Mac than Winboxes by far! It's a liberal arts/education college. ~18k students
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

mindwaves
Jan 24, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
<STRONG>University of California, Irvine.

The bookstore had all of their display Macs running OS X when it first came out.</STRONG>
What is your AIM name? I could not find it on your website.....

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
<STRONG>

That REALLY blows! When I went to Temple, I lived on Saunders Ave (38th & Lancaster) yeah pretty hardcore. Anyway, my roomates were at Drexel and had Macs (early 90's). I, of course, used to talk all kinds of sh!t about how Macs suck, etc., until I had to borrow one to write a paper. I haven't looked back since. Damn, I'm getting all kinds of flashbacks. Those were the days, now my f*cking electric bill is more than monthly rent used to be! Hey, do you know if Powelton Pizza, Scooters, Ways Lounge is still there? </STRONG>
Wow! I actually live at 36 & Powelton (Courts Apts). It must've taken you a while to get from here to Temple. Anyways, I'm not realy familiar with the area yet, since I'm from Central PA, but I do know that Powelton Pizza is still around, but I haven't heard of Scooters or Ways Lounge. There's an Ed's Pizza, California Pizza, Buffalo Bill's, a Zocalo (restaurant I think) at corner of 36 & lancaster and so fourth. What's great is that most of these food places around here can take electronic orders via www.campusfood.com . So the food is ordered and delivered right to your door accurately.
F = ma

jarinteractive
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2002, 09:16 PM

Greenville College doesn't officially say that they support macs, but lots of students have them. Also, the art and music departments have many macs. My TiBook works very well on their wireless network--usually better than the suggested Dell. The band recently featured on Apple's Hot News page--Jars of Clay--also formed here.

-JARinteractive

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 24, 2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
<STRONG>

What is your AIM name? I could not find it on your website.....</STRONG>
PM or e-mail me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules