Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's your Macintosh Buying Philosophy?

What's your Macintosh Buying Philosophy?
Thunderbird
Senior User
Feb 3, 2002, 02:33 AM

I used to believe that you should always buy the most expensive computer that you can afford, because otherwise it will be obsolete within 6 months. That philosophy worked well when the top end was a Quadra 840av, and the bottom end was the Mac Classic with a difference in speed of nearly 10x. I bought a 33 Mhz Quadra 800 in 1992, yet 3-4 years later Apple was still making 33 Mhz 68040 systems. Buying the top end really did help me to keep my computer a lot longer.

Today, I think I've changed my philosophy. Now I buy mid-range, or even the previous top-end discontinued model. Technology is changing so fast, that I think I'm better off saving the money, and just upgrading more often.

What do you think? Better to buy top-end, or mid-range (assuming you have the money and would consider top-end anyway.)

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: Thunderbird ]

bobette
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 03:03 AM

Depends on the needs and contract load you have. If you do Word'n'Surf, then why bother with the high end? It's overkill. Plus you'll save a bundle to buy peripherals, software, vacation time, whatever.

But when you need to crunch that data real fast, go for it. TiBook's real handy for those pesky 12X12 ft. photoshop files. Or the batch processes in Cleaner. Or a decent fps for your fave game.

Oh, and avoid first generation machines (rev a). At least the first batch of rev a.

Well, there goes my .002 canadian dollar.

Cheers!

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: bobette ]
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2002, 03:21 AM

My upgrade philosophy has changed dramatically since August 1999. Prior to that date, the Macs I have owned have been the original Macintosh, a Mac Plus, a Performa 200, a Centris 660av, and then a B&W Yosemite G3 (400mhz). My Mac purchases prior to that G3 all seemed to be quite worth the investment. I got three or four years of use out of the Performa 200, and (even though it was bought only one year later) almost seven years out of the Centris (and it wasn't even a powerPC). However, in August of 1999 I bought the then-top-of-the-line 400 mhz B&W G3. Little did I know that two weeks later, for the exact same price, I could have gotten a G4. To say I was disappointed would be quite the understatement. Since then, my upgrade philosophy has become "fsck the backstabbing G4 chip -- I can wait for the G5, dammit."
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 03:51 AM

Well, 7 years ago I needed the top-of-the-line Mac for the things I do; today, I'm fine on a G4 450 Cube and have power to spare.

Depends on how calculation- intensive stuff you do (video, 3D, math, scientific modelling, large compiles etc.)

I do online stuff with remote servers, so I'm just fine.

Until Doom comes out

As for philosophy, I like to skip generations and usually aim for a second revision of a product: I had a PowerBook 3400, waited for the Pismo. I have a Pismo and am waiting for the next TiBook.

J

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: Judge_Fire ]

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2002, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by rgoer:
<STRONG>My upgrade philosophy has changed dramatically since August 1999. Prior to that date, the Macs I have owned have been the original Macintosh, a Mac Plus, a Performa 200, a Centris 660av, and then a B&W Yosemite G3 (400mhz). My Mac purchases prior to that G3 all seemed to be quite worth the investment. I got three or four years of use out of the Performa 200, and (even though it was bought only one year later) almost seven years out of the Centris (and it wasn't even a powerPC). However, in August of 1999 I bought the then-top-of-the-line 400 mhz B&W G3. Little did I know that two weeks later, for the exact same price, I could have gotten a G4. To say I was disappointed would be quite the understatement. Since then, my upgrade philosophy has become "fsck the backstabbing G4 chip -- I can wait for the G5, dammit."</STRONG>
I got burned similarly by buying a Gossamer G3 just a few weeks before they released the Yosemite. I could have had USB, a better CPU, a better bus, and a MUCH better graphics card for LESS money. I was pissed.

But now I have a 667MHz TiBook. So it's all good

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 04:18 AM

Personally I stick with low-end Pro Tower systems myself or discounted "last model" low-end. I'm still plugging away on my Beige G3/266 Desktop and it does what I need it to do well enough under OS 9.x and below. OSX runs like crap on here so I'm just not using it at all, but I don't "need" to use it either so the only loss there is the money I spent on OSX itself.

I've had this (my first) Mac since September 1998 and it's doing well. I'm considering an upgrade within the next year or so. I don't believe in upgrading to the latest and greatest thing, and I'm conservative about my spending. I figure for the US $1600.00 (+ or -) I'm going to spend on a new low-end system I should get at least 3-5 yrs out of it. If the Pro systems were cheaper then I'd likely upgrade more often.

I also don't believe in waiting for the next best thing, because then I'd always be waiting since they're constantly upgrading stuff. So when and if I have the money for it and I'm ready I just buy now (only exception is if it's real close to an upcoming Expo).

Anyway I look at it in terms of expense really. I'd never spend more than US$2,000.00 on a computer, and would prefer to keep it down around the US$1,600.00 range really.

Mike

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2002, 04:28 AM

I love Apple design and i am a graphics professional so i generally buy the fastest portable exclusively.

Why only the fastest Powerbook models?

Because Apple has made a machine that is really a portable desktop replacement. You can't go wrong with that. Attach a crt and buy everything external and all i have to do is buy a new powerbook and i got all the stuff.

I have been showing a greater need for a real deasktop though. I'm taking on a lot of production type freelance jobs and those jobs need a system that is pure power for whipping things out. Plus. i'm in love with the Apple Cinema Display and duals. I want them. I think a Rev. B G5 with a dual will be the next computer i buy. I just dropped 3 Gs on this tibook last february.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 04:43 AM

I will buy a new machine when it is significantly faster (that is, at least four times as fast) as the machine I currently own. I don't need to buy a new computer every six freakin' months.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 04:54 AM

first off:

MikeM33, it's Great to see someone else who likes there Beige G3.

I bought a Rev A (thank God), on June 3, 1998. The config was a

�Beige G3 MT
�266mhz
�512KB L2 cache
�Bootable SCSI Zip (internal) one of the reasons I thank god I got a Rev A)
�A/V Personality card (sweet for hooking my computer up to my stereo for everything)
�24x CD-ROM
�Rage II+ 2MB (this thing can suprise you for what it can do)
�32MB RAM and then paid $400 for 128MB stick which Microwarehouse installed
�6GB ATA HD

Today I am still using it with Mac OS 10.1.2. it runs ok, but last year I needed to do some upgrades.

�March added a OrangeMicro USB/Firewire card so my Epson 740 would work in X (even thought I only print 1-2 a year)
�April Emergency purchase of a Yamaha Firewire 16x10x40x CD-RW (well "?" 4 of those in march along with "can't read partition" what would you do (for the record I recovered everytime thanks to X (was trying to boot to 9)
�Got a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical for my birthday Sweet (thank god I got the USB card and am never going back to a 1 button mouse never)
�July 60GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA100
�July 256MB RAM (for a total of 416MB (and noticed a speed improvement in X)
�December got a Radeon Mac Edition PCI 32MB DDR (now I can see in millions of color and Mac OS 9.2.2 runs a bit faster.

Now I will hopefully be able to have enough credit on my Visa to be able to get a new entry level PowerMac G5 in July 2003. Remember that I am on permanent disability doing this.

I also may hold out to get a 2.6ghz G5, then I would have a 10 fold speed increase (and have a computer that should run the latest OS well for a 5 year period. I just hope that Apple still offers a VGA port along side that ADC port (I will be using a Monitor swtch box between the 2 computers for a few years. space and money).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2002, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
<STRONG>

I got burned similarly by buying a Gossamer G3 just a few weeks before they released the Yosemite. I could have had USB, a better CPU, a better bus, and a MUCH better graphics card for LESS money. I was pissed.

But now I have a 667MHz TiBook. So it's all good </STRONG>
I almost bought a Beige G3 in December 98, but I was informed to wait until January because it was highly likely that new desktops would be released. Well I waited and got a B&W G3 instead. I also have a Pismo 500, and now waiting for the G5 to be released.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 05:22 AM

Not to beat on iMac fans but when I purchased my Beige G3 the very first iMac was just released. I was EXTREMELY tempted to get one, but I'm glad I opted for the Beige system. I've since added lots of extra's that would have been nearly impossible with the iMac.

I'm still uncertain whether I'll keep my Beige system or sell it off when I decide to go for something new. New towers all have CD-RW built-in so I probably will no longer need my external burner. I may just sell off everything (except for my monitors). I don't think I'd get more than like $800.00 for everything.

Mike

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2002, 09:44 AM

I tend to look for a life of 4 years. My Dual 450 is showing some signs of it's age, mainly in game play. So I am now looking at getting a better graphics card, didn't have the cash when I got it so I only have a rage 128 pro. I would like to get a laptop this summer as well, that way I will be alternating every two years, but am not sure if I have the cash for it
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

chatwood2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2002, 09:57 AM

I normally buy lower end of the professional line, as in when Apple was shipping 450 to 733 G4s, I bought a 533. I also have picked up some older machines, I bought a 9600 about 2 years ago and just love it.

For my next machine I think I will wait for the "next big thing" as in DDR-RAM and (hopefully) G5.

- Chris

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 10:08 AM

2x speed increase minimum therefore the new Dual ! GHZ machines are in the frame but I would like the new technology which I believe will be on the next set of motherboards so I am going to wait..

I went from

Mac PLUS
To
PowerPc 66AV
To
266 iMac
To
Dual 450MP
To

Cheers Edd

Dogma
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 10:10 AM

Get as much as what the wallet will stretch to at the time.

Have cash - will buy Mac!

I hope to get a PowerBook and a PowerMac within the year, but unemployment apears to have taken it's toll on my Mac buying habits just now. We will see when I get a job. All depends on how much I get paid.

I'll probably end up with just a PowerBook, as it's essential if I'm gonna start gigging again. (something I've not done for a good three years or so.)

I had to get the iMac last year just to tide me by, but it's getting much to old in the tooth now to cover up it's poor performance, plus the monitor rez sux for Photoshop and the like - and that's at 1024. (not that the PowerBook is gonna be much different for the monitor, but at least I can stick on my old Apple 15" display for dual display)
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2002, 11:21 AM

Max the credit cards!

I'll buy a new Mac when I can double the speed of my processor; I went from a Beige G3/ 266 to a G4/400 (not double but close). Now I am going from a G4/400 to a Dual 1Ghz which will last a minimum of 3 years (until dual 2 Ghz).

Happy Birthday to me!!! Thank You Joann whom I worship (she made me write that, d'oh!)
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2002, 11:58 AM

My philosophy would be this: If I have the $$$, I'll buy the best I can in Apple stuff. Unfortunately, the reality is this: $$$ doesn't flow like wine, so I get what I can afford...

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 01:53 PM

I'll only replace hardware when it can't do the job I want it to. I decided I wanted to be able to do DV, and getting that to be reliable on an upgraded 7500 wasn't worth the work, so I got my cube. I'd love a dual 1gightz, but it's not gonna make my life better- I don't get paid for results my mac produces, so I can't make the speed=$ argument.

That 7500 is still doing useful work- my wife is writing her thesis on it. I'm saddened when folks think that a 3 year old computer is obsolete. Heck, I hooked up a co-worker's 80 year old mom with a pbk 150 and HP Deskwriter. She's typing letters, and loves it. It's not obsolete to her!
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2002, 01:58 PM

It's hard for me because I often want the top of the line, but can't afford it.

I have a pismo 400 and am still trying to decide what to do with it. Part of the problem is the allure of the fancy new machines. I'd love a dual ghz desktop over the 933 desktop, but do I really need the extra power?

I'm starting to think a desktop machine might be wiser because it'll last me longer than a powerbook. I'm thinking 2 options for when I finally do decide to upgrade.

1 new powerbook and sell my pismo. This is probably the cheaper route since I'll recoup some money when I sell the pismo.

2 Buy a desktop mac, which will last longer, and keep the pismo for mobile only use. When the time comes to replace the pismo, I get an iBook instead of a powerbook since it'll only be for portable use and I won't need as much power. I'd then move into a cycle of replacing a low end laptop/high end desktop as opposed to new powerbooks every few years.

Either way I dunno. OS X just feels slow on my pismo.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2002, 01:37 AM

Basically, buy the best machine I can afford, and it better be much faster than the one I'm replacing.

I had a PCjr for like 7 years, then a 386sx. Once I went Mac, I never went back!

Quadra 630 (1995, the next week it was EOL'd! ) -&gt; PCC PowerTower 180 (1996) -&gt; G4/400 (2000)
The difference between the Quadra and Tower was staggering enough to warrent buying it as soon as I could. Plus I had a good job and cheap rent at the time, so I paid it off in one shot. Much different story now ...

I figure another year with the G4, then I'll wait until Apple releases something compelling. I think the big secret is: never by rev. A anything from Apple, wait until a good amount of others have reviewed the systems to see if there are any major problems, then get what I can afford.

I also paid a ridiculous amount for my LaCie monitor, but I plan on having that until the tube burns out
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2002, 03:55 AM

I got my first Mac in '96 when I started my degree course, it was a Performa 6400 and it lasted me until 6 months ago, still with no problems. It now sits in my neighbour's house, being used for word processing and internet by him and his family (his previous mac was a black and white screen classic which was dying on him.)

I got a G4 867 not long after they came out and have since added ! gig of RAM, Soundsticks and a Sony 17" screen, I thought about downgrading the drive to a combo drive when I bought it, but got it with the standard Superdrive and 64Mb GForce 2 to get the best spec I could afford. I may not use the DVDR now, but DVDR is getting cheaper and will probably replace CDR as writeable and backup discs.

So I hope this computer will last me 4-5 years, the Performa was a work machine to get me through my degree, (and it got pounded, a 48 hour Bryce render springs to mind) this one is for fun.

Quick poll, if you've just bought a mac, what do you think you will be replacing it with in so many years? (or months? ahem, you know who you are!).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2002, 08:46 AM

Predicting that it's likely to be the new benchmarking tool for the next few years, I'll buy whatever system can play the new Doom game nicely when it comes out.

Cipher13
Feb 4, 2002, 09:13 AM

I buy the low-end machine; other components like drives etc. can be upgraded on those machines to match or exceed that of the top models... and the difference in speed from say 867 to 933 MHz is negligible. But, when duals come into play...

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 09:51 AM

When ever I buy a mac i select the fastest machine and then remove as much as possible to save on price stuff like DVD players graphics cards memory and Hard Disc's can be got cheaper else were the only thing which cannot is processor speed.

Cheers Edd

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2002, 10:04 AM

I buy a new Mac when the old one does not do everything I need it to.

My 7200 got way to slow in PS and other apps, so I bought the iMac which was all the computer I needed at the time. Then the iMac's small screen and limited upgrade path led me to buy my QS.....the speed was really negligible. I just needed to be able to have a much larger screen and more storage. Personally the little 333 G3 was still damn zippy the day I sold it.

I do get lust for the new machines when they come out, but it is way to impratical to get a new machine every year. I think I will keep this G4 for quite a long time until it doesn't do something that I abolutely need it to do. If not, I can't justify spending my hard-earned cash on a new toy.

Also I usally go for the most bang for the buck (so the low-end machines) I got a bare bones 733 and just spent minimal money buying aftermarket components to juice it up that would have cost me much more through Apple.

But if I was to buy a new Mac right now (like If I never got the QS) I would definetely get the 800 iMac.....I think its the best computer in the Apple lineup right now for the money thats being asked for it.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2002, 11:52 AM

For shear longevity, I would buy one of the discontinued Dual-800 or a Dual-1Ghz. If you are just an average consumer, they'll easily last you five years, which makes them worthwhile machines.

Personally, I'm going with a 'lo-lo' set-up: a low-end refurbrished iBook ($899) and a low-end LiMac ($1299). I went this route because my girlfriend and I would kill each other if we had to share one computer all the time.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

oranjdisc
Senior User
Feb 5, 2002, 12:49 AM

I've developed a system where I buy, and then re-sell my Macs about every 12-16 months, depending on when new models come out. When you subtract money made off an eBay auction from your new purchase, I usually end up with a difference of around a thousand bucks. So, I can either buy one machine every 3-4 years, effectively running my current Mac down until it's not worth spit, or I can have a new machine with each revision.

I settle for the latter.

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2002, 05:19 AM

I gave the Smurftower to mom and got an iMac.

Thunderbird  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2002, 05:23 AM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
<STRONG>I've developed a system where I buy, and then re-sell my Macs about every 12-16 months, depending on when new models come out. When you subtract money made off an eBay auction from your new purchase, I usually end up with a difference of around a thousand bucks. So, I can either buy one machine every 3-4 years, effectively running my current Mac down until it's not worth spit, or I can have a new machine with each revision.

I settle for the latter. </STRONG>
What model do you buy? Are you getting the high end every year, or the low end?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2002, 07:55 AM

I avoid buying the first version of any product, and I avoid buying older technology when newer standards are right on the horizon, because I don't like being caught with a machine that can't support the newest generation of peripherals and software. For instance, I like the new iMac, but I figure it'll be worthwhile to wait until the kinks are worked out and Firewire 2.0 and USB 2.0 are (hopefully) standard.

I'm more inclined to buy the top-of-the-line consumer machine and replace it every couple of years than to buy a tower and keep modifying it for years on end. I want to be able to take advantage of the newest software and features, and I think they tend to work better when they're integrated into the machine rather than added on. You can only modify a tower for so long before you run into compatibility impediments, and meanwhile you've invested in a more expensive machine and a bunch of add-ons. I'd rather put the money into a newer machine where the technology is fully integrated. It doesn't work for everyone - some people need the power and flexibility of a tower - but it suits me.

I started with an LC III, then had a Power PC 6500, then an iMac DV SE, and now I have a Cube with a 15" LCD. The Cube does everything I need for now, but I figure that late this year or early next year, I'll get a new iMac with an integrated Superdrive and Firewire 2.0 and USB 2.0 for a very reasonable price, and it'll do everything I need or want for another 2 years or so, until the next generation of technology arrives.

Bockie
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2002, 10:07 AM

Three most recent purchases:[list=1][*]05/99 - (used) Packard Bell Pentium 100 - resold to buy:[*]01/01 - iMac Rev B/extra 128MB RAM - upgraded with:[*]05/01 - Newer Technology 433 G4 iMaxpowr/40.5G HD/another 128MB RAM - replaced (by insurance company after lighting strike) with:[*]09/01 - Quicksilver 800DP/60G HD/128MB RAM/another 1G RAM[*]02/02 - 2GHz G5/0.5T HD/2.5G RAM/another...(sorry drifted off )[/list=a]

Wow! After typing this out, I guess we do buy new technology quite often. I hope this new computer (the QS DP800) will last long enough to justify the costs.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2002, 05:49 PM

If I *NEED* it to get a job done...I'll buy it. But that's *NEED* not just want. If I bought everything I wanted... well, that wouldn't be a good thing! I'd be broke most likely!

And *NEED* for me is defined by: absolutely can't get a job finished with what I currently have -must have a new feature or system ramp-up of a new machine in order to get work down. Basically using that as a guide, I don't buy new Macs all that often.

Quite frankly, they earn their keep so well, I end up not needing a new one all that often. I NEVER owned a new G3 desktop Mac, I was well served from 1996 to early 2000 with a 180mhz 604e UMAX s900, in its later days upgraded to a G3 500 and stuffed with every hardware upgrade under the sun. During the same time I bought two 8600/250 Macs from work. Eventually I added another machine purchased from work, a G4/400 and still use that along with my s900, which is still going strong.

Added a 600mhz iBook to the lineup recently.

Recently Apple's made progress that's a lot faster than it used to be, so I may be upgrading by greater leaps than I used to. I could buy my current G4/667 from work again for a pittance, when we upgrade in March, but this time I'll probably pass on that option and get a new desktop Mac at home, as Apple FINALLY has new machines that are more than 100mhz beyond my current 'old' work model!

Normally I still probably wouldn't *NEED* anything beyond the G4/667 from work, but since I'll be making more of a switch to OSX this go around (It's inevitable with this upgrade cycle) I do actually *NEED* a machine that's got balls enough to really run X reasonably fast.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Feb 6, 2002, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Thunderbird:
<STRONG>

What model do you buy? Are you getting the high end every year, or the low end?</STRONG>
Usually something in the middle, stripped down as much as possible so I can add in my own RAM and HDs.

coolla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2002, 05:25 AM

I always buy the high end imac. Usually the best deal, and I don't need expansion/big monitors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules