Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mac OS X = joke OS [discuss]

mac OS X = joke OS [discuss] (Page 2)
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Feb 20, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by wil:
<STRONG>moki,

how do you:

have a separate root-level folder for your mailboxes?</STRONG>
I just dragged 'em there!
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

chatwood2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2002, 10:37 PM

madra,

im regards to your finder preview issues, i suggest trying SNAX. its a great third party finder replacement, with the preview in a drawer. their are some things i just love about it.

- all menu commands can have keyboard shortcuts, defined by user (finally i have my [command]-[y] = eject disc)
- can sort alphabetically or "smart" (app, folder, document)
- it combines column and list views (if you want)
- it keeps the lasted deepest folder visited by that window in the toolbar (poorly explained but it works well)
- it keeps a list of recently used folders in a dropdown menu
- integrates great with any app (for instance i have [command]-[E] set to open the selected files in BBEdit), that can be done for any app.
- can display a OS 9 like app switcher in the menubar

anyway i love it. i still have the finder running, but tinkertool has disabled my desktop (thus clicking on it does nothing). i've replaced dock.app with dragthing (which hides application i dont want to see all the time). i've replace the clock with wClock (nice dropdown calendar and a very customizable display). also, check out keyboard maestro, i have used it to replace sherlock (i hate) with locator (gui from end to CLI locate), i have it setup so that [command]-[option]-[back arrow] moves me back to the last app i was using, makes it very convenient to move in between two apps.

anyway, my feeling with OS X is - if you dont like it, use something else. there is just tons of really good shareware out there.

and yes, i do use mail.app, my only qualm with it is that you cannot "subscribe" to imap mailbox folders, you have to see all of them. this makes it unusable for me to use it for my school email because it tries to sync with the entire imap tree (which includes hundreds upon hundreds of bulletin boards). so, i ssh to the school unix machines and use pine.

- Chris

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2002, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>I honestly can't remember the last time I saw it happen [mail showing annoying pop up dialogs] -- what dialog box is it throwing up for you? I haven't seen one in... months.</STRONG>
Wow, then you must be on a very reliable internet connection. Mail does this a lot for me. And it does it for every account I have, so switch to mail to dismiss one dialog =&gt; switch back to work =&gt; Mail bounces again =&gt; you dismiss one more dialog =&gt; back to work =&gt; Mail bounces again...

I can tell you: At such a moment you do feel hate!

<STRONG>Are you using this on a very slow machine? I don't experience significant slowdown with it, and trust me, I have a *lot* of mail.</STRONG>
If you switch to a mailbox with a few thousand messages it can take a minute or so (G4 450).

Besides that I like Mail a lot.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ink
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 10:47 PM

I have to agree partially. OSX isn't dont yet.

That said, I'll take it over OS9 anytime; the stability makes up for the niggles with the finder, the stupidly s l o w window resizing and Mail.app (why do you use it if you hate it so much? Eudora works just great!)

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2002, 11:00 PM

<STRONG>

I just dragged 'em there! </STRONG>
Within Mail? or using the finder...sorry i'm a little slow here.

If within mail, i can't seem to move my mailboxes any higher level. If within finder, do you just move the entire mail folder from your user library to the root library (deleting the old folder afterwards)?

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: wil ]

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2002, 11:01 PM

I didn't take the tike to read everyone's rants, BUT I do believe I have an answer to this. I hope you'll find this useful, madra!!
Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>4. if i've been working on some file and want to save it into a folder which is currently open on the desktop why do i have to fart around navigating to that folder in the open/save dialogue? why can't i just click outside the open/save dialogue onto the desired destination folder on the desktop to tell the open/save dialogue to jump to that destination, as that's where i want to save to?</STRONG>
It can be done!

Drag said folder from the Finder into the column area in the dialog box. Bingo! The dialog box automatically drills down to that folder. You can even drag the mini "proxy" icons from the title bar of said Finder window to do it. If you want the Desktop, simply press command-D and the save/open dialog zips over to your ~/Desktop folder.

As for everything else, ummm, I'm working on it!!
The server made a boo boo. (403)

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 11:15 PM

Sigh. I saw this post and wasn't going to read it, knowing in advance what the tone was, but...guys, you gotta get over it. OSX is not perfect. It is good, in my opinion, but it does have bugs. That said, is it going to get better? Yes, absolutely. I read the post by diamondsw, and I thought he had a more realistic view of this whole thing. Folks, it is a NEW OS. I think Apple has done a GREAT job of beginning the migration. This is a very, very difficult move to make, much more so than the move to PowerPC way back when.

I loved OS9. But you know what? It WAS showing it's age. Apple had to make the move to survive, and it did. OSX is different, sure. I miss the spring loaded folders. But I know they will be back. And so will some missing or faulty functionality.

Come on. Take a deep breath. This is not life or death, this is just Macintosh. (just don't tell my wife I said this...

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

dawho9
Senior User
Feb 20, 2002, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by DannyVTim:
<STRONG>

iPhoto simply the best for whom Mom? No one who shoots actually would think of useing it. they are throw ins that make the 18 years old gleefull.</STRONG>
Fine, not the best, but a hell of a lot better than any other alternative for X...but enough about iPhoto, back on topic.

The idea here is that an OS MUST include high quality apps, from the maker of the OS. This is where apple seems to be hit and miss. We all agree that today is the world of the internet, and that you must be able to connect to it in a fast and easy method.

The complaint I have is that apple slow and unresponsive OS at times, does not provide a user with a positive internet experience. IE5.1 sucks. It simply does. Mail.crapp is simply that, crap.

I know SJ says the next wave is digital hub, but that doesn't mean that the internet is going away. Apple must solve some basic connectivity issues (PPP hang!) and make the end users internet experience positive.

I for one, do not use my G4 to browse the internet. It makes my DSL line seem like a fast 56K connection. I always use my WinXP box (Only PII-400) which is about 5 times faster and more reliabable.

that all...

dw9

p.s. I do love OSX, just wish it was better...as we all do!
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2002, 11:45 PM

I agree with Mooki on EVERYthing!!! I've never used anything but a Mac and would never consider going back to OS9 or using a PC, but I am not blind to OSX's shortcomings and have experienced EVERY single one of the one's he mentioned quite a few times. These people that say they've never seen half of them must look away from the screen a lot, or use their computer to check their email once a week and that's it! WOW!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Membranophonist
Feb 20, 2002, 11:45 PM

To whomever it was that believed it is impossible to select items in List view incontiguously, just hold down "Command" while you select. This works in all three view modes, while Shift only works in Icon view.

OS X has a ways to go before it is a complete solution for all Mac users, but software development doesn't happen instantaneously. Give it some time!

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:46 AM

thank dog you're back.

anyway, I have tons of complaints with OS X. But I love it. It really puts apple in the best position to evolve it's OS.

other than my snappyness fetish , I have one problem that was sorta mentioned here. I feel the OS is unstable in some ways, sorta leving me feeling restricted. ALL of my apps crash more, and seemingly for no reason, under OS X. Even the OS is kernel panicking out once in a while for me. I keep trying to use OS X and quit OS 9, but after an app crashes repeatedly (iCab losing my current sites &gt;:-(, but especially when the kernel panick pops up, I'm back in 9.

apple needs to fix what it is leaving unfinished under the hood (audio!), and 3rd party apps need to be more stable.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Feb 21, 2002, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
<STRONG>Wow, then you must be on a very reliable internet connection. Mail does this a lot for me. And it does it for every account I have, so switch to mail to dismiss one dialog =&gt; switch back to work =&gt; Mail bounces again =&gt; you dismiss one more dialog =&gt; back to work =&gt; Mail bounces again...</STRONG>
Well... at home I have an Airport hooked up to a cable modem -- even when I lose signal with the Airport, I don't get Mail.app putting up a dialog. At work we go Ethernet-&gt;fractional T3, so yeah, it is a pretty reliable connection...

...but what exactly is Mail.app putting up in this dialog box that I seem to be missing?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 09:12 AM

<STRONG>disc copy........ mounts those disc images no problem... er as long as they weren't created under 9 in which case you'll get an error telling you the image is corrupted... whereupon you might throw it out, not knowing that if you boot into 9 it'll work perfectly. and when you're image is mounted.... drill down through the finder to locate it coz disc copy is far too busy looking good and having transparent drop shadows to actually bother opening the f**king thing for you.</STRONG>
And your inability to distinguish between DiskCopy and Aladdin ShrinkWrap images is Apple's problem how?

ShrinkWrap images (also .img) can be converted to DiskCopy images by opening ShrinkWrap in Classic and selecting "convert image...".

Problem solved.

-spheric*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 09:26 AM

<STRONG>...but what exactly is Mail.app putting up in this dialog box that I seem to be missing?</STRONG>
"Could not connect to server mail.xxxxx.com"

Happens quite frequently with the free mail providers I use.

-spheric*

Group51
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 09:45 AM

<STRONG>&lt;sigh!&gt;

i've posted about mail.crapp ad nauseam before.

&lt;/sigh&gt;</STRONG>
You have. I remember it well, and I wrote a long list of issues too. Frankly I'm amazed that I put up with it. I think it certainly got faster with 10.1. All those same problems, but it does it faster.

I hate the way it top posts replies. I mean, haven't they heard of netiquette at Apple?

I wish it could display subject lines in the original script. If I am going to get junk e-mail from China, I'd at least like to see it in Chinese!

I HATE! HATE! HATE! the way the OS X spell checker is US English only.

I wish it would get my mac.com mail on my dial-up connection. I have to manually select the Mac.com mailbox before it downloads the messages.

I too wish, if I select a html message, that it would let me delete it instead of having to wait for it to display.

And a pre-written junk mail filter wouldn't go amiss either.

This is important, because for consumers like me, the Internet is the MAIN THING. Therefore Mail.app is the flagship, its the first program I run when I'm connected, its the last thing I check before I disconnect. It should be a seamless experience. It is not.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2002, 10:46 AM

I HATE! HATE! HATE! the way the OS X spell checker is US English only.
Likewise. Here's a partial solution:
http://www.objectfarm.org/Activities...jectFarmSpell/
Unfortunately, it doesn't support all the languages OSX supports, but it'll give you English, German, Italian, and Spanish right off the bat, and several other languages can be plugged in. There's also CocoASpell, which I'm still doing a little research into, but it might be even better.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by dawho9:
<STRONG>

Fine, not the best, but a hell of a lot better than any other alternative for X...but enough about iPhoto, back on topic.

The idea here is that an OS MUST include high quality apps, from the maker of the OS. This is where apple seems to be hit and miss. We all agree that today is the world of the internet, and that you must be able to connect to it in a fast and easy method.

The complaint I have is that apple slow and unresponsive OS at times, does not provide a user with a positive internet experience. IE5.1 sucks. It simply does. Mail.crapp is simply that, crap.

I know SJ says the next wave is digital hub, but that doesn't mean that the internet is going away. Apple must solve some basic connectivity issues (PPP hang!) and make the end users internet experience positive.

I for one, do not use my G4 to browse the internet. It makes my DSL line seem like a fast 56K connection. I always use my WinXP box (Only PII-400) which is about 5 times faster and more reliabable.

that all...

dw9

p.s. I do love OSX, just wish it was better...as we all do!</STRONG>

iView media pro is better than iPhoto and it runs on X. I’m not sure if Cumulas is up on X yet.

It's nice that MS includes apps, but that is not an OS requirement. MS does not do it out of kindness but to rope people into using other products or services that they offer at a price. Yes IE is free, but I’m sure you probably bought NT4, 2000, and XP which came at a price. So in the end, you bought IE and are now hooked into buy the next OS update. MS makes IE on the Mac to sell Office on the Mac. BTW, including applications from the OS producer is a fairly recent development in computing from a commercial OS vendor. Personally, I'd rather Apple not produce iPhoto or any other peripheral application that are simplified programs but concentrate on the OS instead. These applications are things that look good on the outside of the box; however, they are for marketing purposes and not robust applications. You expected Mail.app to be something more then it should be and are taking Apple to task. Perhaps taking Apple to task about OS problems and not the marketing software would be a better use of your resources. Moreover, you are comparing Apple to MS, when MS is the largest company in the world and has tens of thousands of engineers working on their flagship OS. Apple has hundreds of engineers. Do you really expect Apple to be on a one to one in every area? Internet surfing is important to you, but it’s not Apple’s market. Apple is a niche company that sells mostly to graphic professionals and consumers. Therefore, they need to be selective with where they place their limited resources. Darwin is an example of Apple pooling their resources with the open source community to save themselves R&D. Apple was at 15% market share and is around 2% and they have yet to arrest the decline. OS X is there last hope not Mail.app.
Dan

oranjdisc
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 12:04 PM

The OSX Finder, IMO, is the absolute worst part of the new OS.

No, don't think I'm one of those hold-overs form the OS 9 days who doesn't like the new "style." I actually LIKE the interface in OSX, and love being able to customize it, move between discs in one window, etc.

What BUGS THE $HIT out of me though is the sluggish, tepid, FEEL of it.

OS 9, for lack of a better phrase, SNAPS. The finder is sharp, very, very fast, and makes my work-day that much quicker.

I just can't stand how the Finder feels in OSX. There, I've said it.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2002, 12:26 PM

[oops, sorry]

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Developer ]
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2002, 01:28 PM

I've read this thread from that start and I find it both fascinating and expected that, given the wealth of Mac knowledge and long-term experience on this forum, there is this level of bitching going on.

Expected: Something about Mac folks and passion seems to rear its head every major system change. Every jump I can clearly remember - 6 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 - brings people out of the woodwork who claim that the latest system change has forever ruined their computing experience. I remember the shitstorm raised when 7 came out. Had you read the usenet groups (cause, way back then, we didn't have the World Wide Web. . .) you would have thought that Apple replaced the Finder with Windows 3. Same with all the others. Don't understand it.

And, for anyone really, really upset with 10, I have my 6.0.3 install floppies and will gladly email you a disk image of them. . .

Fascinating: Given what we know of 10 and Quartz, and given my expectations that people here know the complexities and limitations of the Postscript environment, I find what Apple has pulled off with 10 to be nothing short of amazing. Postscript is a buggy, awkward, slow, obstinate thing which will error out on you given the slightest chance. To have it as the basis of a stable, beautiful GUI is, for me, worth any teething problems.

Is the response slower than 9.2.2 on my 500 MHz G3? Yes. Is it so much that I feel like screaming bloddy murder? No. I grabbed TinkerTool and turned off font smoothing (which I would have done anyway, cause I hate font smoothing on screen) and I found my Finder response got much better, every minor release has given me a noticable increase in speed, and I am learning to love column view, which makes opening millions of windows unecessary.

I have my complaints: I loathe menu blinking, I want to change the menu font to something smaller and more manageable, I want to be able to make drive and applications on my desktop differential sizes, and some other niggling things, but against my bitching the fact that my browser can die a flaming, horrible death and the system is fine, and I can unstuff archives in the background while I do something useful in the foreground, a slightly slower Finder isn't much to complain about.

I mean, I can even play Oni. Now, if someone would just write a browser that didn't crash. . .

For those who feel 10 is a "waste of time" or "a joke," either a) email your suggestions to Apple, b) install a Linux variant and be your own master and c) spend some time on a team writing a new OS and watch your perspective change.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:
<STRONG>Anyone out there worried that madra's head is going to explode just like the movie "scanners"?

Seriously, put the mouse down and take a walk - get away from the computer for a while.

Yes, OS X isn't perfect, but it's also not had the 15+ years of development that OS 9 has had. It will need time.
</STRONG>
As I said, he's gonna pop. Life is simply too short- if an OS raised my blood pressure to such a level as evidently OS X does to madra's, I'd decide it's time to walk away and find one that puts me in a better mood, or at the least, in a less-terrible mood.

madra, you are one humorous fellow and even your rants make me laugh, but you have to admit you are consistent in your unhappiness with OS X. Again, life is too short- time to review your OS preferences(?) Not trying to be a wanker, just making a sincere observation.

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
<STRONG>I've read this thread from that start and I find it both fascinating and expected that, given the wealth of Mac knowledge and long-term experience on this forum, there is this level of bitching going on.............

For those who feel 10 is a "waste of time" or "a joke," either a) email your suggestions to Apple, b) install a Linux variant and be your own master and c) spend some time on a team writing a new OS and watch your perspective change.</STRONG>
Good posting. I think you stated things fairly.
Dan

diamondsw
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 02:38 PM

<STRONG>&lt;sigh!&gt;

i've posted about mail.crapp ad nauseam before. but since you asked here are a few things that occur off the top of my head.....

1. i HATE the way it throws up a dialogue box in front of whatever work i'm doing in another app to tell me it couldn't make a connection.
</STRONG>
Agreed - applications on X don't obey application "layers" that well. It's one of those things that *could* be used as a feature, but instead is an annoying bug.
<STRONG>
2. i HATE the way i have to wait at least a couple of seconds between each thing i click on while it updates it's f**kin index and does it's stupid slow motion fade in/out of the text
</STRONG>
Never seen that, and I have folders with thousands of messages in them.
<STRONG>
3. i HATE the way when i get some spam crap in HTML format my inbox and select it and click delete, mail painfully slowly carries on and downloads the rest of the mail and renders it before deleting it.
</STRONG>
I don't use IMAP, so everything is local already. Spam, in any way or form, is evil.
<STRONG>
4. i HATE the way you have to make a seperate rule for eveything you want to do.
</STRONG>
How else would you do it? Now, it would be nice to be able to set up any number of separate criteria for a rule (both Mail and Eudora suck in that regard).
<STRONG>
5. i HATE the way if you've divided your inbox into subfolders to filter incoming mail, depending on who it's from, mail won't display any indication in it's icon that mail has been received unless it's from someone you don't know and just ends up in the main inbox.
</STRONG>
Agreed. This is why I still have a single unified inbox, bu I definitely see the possible advantages of having a separate hierarchy for separate accounts. Still needs some work.
<STRONG>
6. i HATE the way i can't find where it stores attachments, so i have to manually drag them off each incoming mail into a folder [possibly duplicating everything - who knows? - you don't expect any help from 'help' do you?"
</STRONG>
Doesn't it just drop them all in your default download folder? I haven't gotten many attachments since converting from Eudora to Mail.
<STRONG>
7. i HATE the way if an email doesn't send you get a message saying it will "remain in your outbox until it can be sent" and then it just sits there [sometimes for days at a time] before eventually vanishing to god knows where [and often not showing up in your "sent items" box
</STRONG>
Never seen it.
<STRONG>
8. i HATE the way when the above happens, if you open the mail that's lying in your outbox to try and send it again "send" is greyed out in the menu - for f**k's sake! - i REALLY HATE that one!
</STRONG>
Well, it's already queued to be sent; in this ase it would probably be better interface to map "send" to "save and send queued mail". Overall, it doesn't sound like a huge problem (to me). *ducks*
<STRONG>
9. i HATE the way if your connection drops and you click "stop" on all the progress bars in the activity window which say "connecting" they change to saying "stopping" but mail still keeps chugging away in the background like the retarded POS it is
</STRONG>
Something is very wrong there, but I have a feeling that's a network connection taking its sweet time to shut down. I've seen similar things in other programs and protocols, so this may be a case of using a blocking call when a non-blocking one should be used. May be Mail's fault, may not be.
<STRONG>
10. i HATE the way it unexpectedly quits so often and then hasn't the brains to realise it crashed and so unlock all the mailboxes that were flagged as 'locked' after you restart it.
</STRONG>
Well, firstly I've never crashed mail (except once when I accidentally dragged three thousand e-mails into "outbox" and it started sending them - long story, user error - I had to force quit that one), but the locks are important, since you wouldn't want another program accessing the files while Mail is. So it says "these are mine for now - don't touch" (also known as a semaphore). Unfortunately, if it crashes, it doesn't get the chance to remove the lock. It's a good thing, trust me. Prevents ugliness like corrupted mailboxes.
<STRONG>
11. i HATE the way every f**kin day at least 60% of these annoyances are guaranteed to happen and blight my use of macOSX.

12. i HATE the fact that none of these shortcomings have ever been addressed by apple in any of the updates to macOSX that have so far been released.
</STRONG>
Well, like I've pointed out, a lot of these aren't that serious. I don't run into the majority of them. I hate to say it, but try killing both the preferences (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist) and the mail folder (~/Library/Mail). That should fix anything up.
<STRONG>
13. but most of all, i HATE the way i have to keep using this .crapp because apple have killed off the best ever mac email app "claris emailer" and come to some arrangement with micro$oft so that the second best ever mac email app "outlook express" doesn't come to mac OSX, and in their place have offered up this steaming pile of ordure.
</STRONG>
Oh, for heavens sake, Apple didn't kill off a damn thing. Claris did, and Claris != Apple. Claris made a lot of questionable moves, and let me tell you, their coders weren't all that hot. A *lot* of buggy, quirky, breaks-every-system-update software today used to be Claris (AppleWorks, Palm Desktop, FileMaker, and it's rumored, Entourage). As to why Outlook Express hasn't shown up, ask Microsoft (it is puzzling). Hell, Internet Preferences is still set to "Outlook Express" by default, so I think it'd be coming at some point.
<STRONG>
is that enough to be going on with?.... or do you want another load?

&lt;/sigh&gt;</STRONG>
Still just don't think things are as bad as you think - something is wonky on your end.

diamondsw
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by himself:
<STRONG>But I will speak on finder issues, primarily... the finder, itself, I expect will become "Cocoa" soon, but until then, it's lackluster.
</STRONG>
Don't hold your breath...
<STRONG>
I can't stand column view (but maybe that's personal); I spend a lot of time in icon and list view... the latter won't allow you to select list items in non-contiguous order.
</STRONG>
Try the command key. Been that way for, what, two years? More than that maybe (at least since OS X DP3).
<STRONG>
It may seem minor, but I took it for granted in 9, and it cant be done in X (yet?). The "Save/Open File" dialogs are horrible as well. the column view doesn't work for this. "Navigation Services" as it was called in OS 8-9 was perfect... I loved it when they intro'd that.
</STRONG>
NavServices were very good. I miss them as well. If they could get the bugs out of open/save in X (arrow keys and type select frequently don't work - can't recall if it's a Carbon or Cocoa thing), I could live with it. Not ideal, but I'd still say better than pre-NavServices. And anyone remember just how *buggy* NavServices were when they came out?
<STRONG>
Also, what gives with X's desktop metaphor? I've honestly never felt so misdirected on a computer when I select "desktop" in a save/open dialog expecting to see the items on my "Desktop," only to be sent to an empty folder in my "User" directory (four directories removed from where I intend to go).
</STRONG>
Well, that *is* where the desktop is stored. Windows is the same way, and OS 9 multiple users was as well. Just a fact of life in a multiuser system. AFter all, the OS 9 desktop was a hack - a virtual directory created from all of the "Desktop Folders" of mounted disks. Now, I'd like a new "virtual desktop" that shows the contents of that folder, as well as all my drives. OS 9 and Windows both do this.
<STRONG>
The windowing system is wierd too... when I click on a finder window, or a window in Illustrator, or TextEdit, or whatever app, I would personally prefer all open windows for that app to com forward as well. It's disorienting when it doesn't happen that way. Should clicking on the desktop bring up Finder windows? Why not?
</STRONG>
Well, it's a new way of doing things. It could have some benefits, but I'm also still used to the old way. Doesn't bug me that much.
<STRONG>
Also missing is the old visual feedback system that let you know what folder/volume/app was open, by showing a greyed, "hollowed" icon in it's place. X doesn't need to be precisely like that, but I can't tell at a glance which folders have open windows and whether or not I'm copying to/from the proper folder, especially since it's all to easy to have multiple windows for the same folder/volume open at the same time. Some may tout that as a feature, but believe me, it's a UI nightmare. There was a good reason why OS 9 *wouldn't* let you open more than one volume/folder view at once.
</STRONG>
Hard to avoid once column view is added to the mix. In OS 9 it was annoying that opening a folder than was expanded in list view elsewhere would close the list view.
<STRONG>
I don't mean to rant and sound ungrateful, but there are some things in X I just can't overlook, and I bring them up in the hopes that bringing it up (and sending feedback) may prompt more action on Apple's part. Overall I love X and I only want to see it get better (and it will get much better, seeing how good it is in this early stage) just like most of us here, but I'm not going to just sit by and tell myself "it's okay" when I run across something that does hinder my productivity, and when I know a company like Apple should know better.
[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: himself ]</STRONG>
And keep on sending it - Apple will just have to keep coming up with better solutions.

diskobolos
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2002, 03:54 PM

5. i HATE the way if you've divided your inbox into subfolders to filter incoming mail, depending on who it's from, mail won't display any indication in it's icon that mail has been received unless it's from someone you don't know and just ends up in the main inbox.
<STRONG>The way I did it is I have a separate root-level folder for my mail, and this problem isn't present if you do it that way.
</STRONG>
Moki could you please explain how to do this.. I just moved my active mailboxes into my inbox (using mail.app) and I thought that might fix the dock icon not notifying me of new messages.. but I just got one that using rules is put into a folder 2 levels deep, which is now within my inbox and no message count appeared in the dock.

I have thousands of messages, 3 accounts, a couple addresses forwarding to those accounts and a dozen or so mailboxes and agree mail.app is one of the best clients I've used... though the notification thing bugs me , I only get the read dot for messages deposited directly into my inbox.

If you know a fix for this it would be nice to have..

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: diskobolos ]

Raman
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
<STRONG>Well, if you spend most of your time in the terminal it's an amazing OS. Although I do spend quite a bit of time on my Linux box and it's terms are just as good.
</STRONG>
Yeha, and your apple box costs like 10x's as much!

Raman
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Todd Madson:
<STRONG>Yes, OS X isn't perfect, but it's also not had the 15+ years of development that OS 9 has had.[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Todd Madson ]</STRONG>
So why is it OS X version 10, then? Shouldn't it be version 1?

DNA man
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 05:06 PM

To be fair to Apple OSX is on a scale point of 2 at the minute where the scale runs from 1-10. OS9 is at 9 just now. It took how long for Apple to get to OS9 with all it's great features(?) A long time. I think that we will have to wait a wee while longer. OSX has lots of potential and I would be the first to admit that I would run OSX under a Classic skin if I could. I loved OS9 but the old OS was just that, OLD and a laugh when you compared it with Windoze NT/2000 interms of power. OSX is now a robust, extremley powerful (more so than anything M$ offers) OS that is a great start. By the end of the year who knows how it will have grown. The best thing for us the consumer is to give Apple as much feed back as we can on how we want the OSX system to be. We should keep reminding them that OSX is not as easy to use as the old Classic OS9. if everything is to be easier on a Mac, then Apple has to make it so.

foamy
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 06:40 PM

The only things that really irk me about OSX are:

1. The preview in column view. I really can't believe Apple did this. Even if the finder is Carbon I'm sure they could make a faux-drawer for the preview. Plus the preview really doesn't do anything except for movies and sound files. Previews sporadically work for .tifs and .jpgs, etc.

2. In open and save dialogues navigating with the arrow keys is completely horked. Once I got a Tibook I really noticed this.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by DNA man:
<STRONG>...and I would be the first to admit that I would run OSX under a Classic skin if I could.

</STRONG>
Guess what! Now you can.

Go to conundrum soft and get Duality3 for changing themes.

There is an awesome Classic skin you can get here. I'm running it now and it's hot.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

DNA man
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 08:16 PM

<STRONG>

Guess what! Now you can.

There is an awesome Classic skin you can get here. I'm running it now and it's hot.</STRONG>
Cheers, Thanks for the link.

DNA man
Senior User
Feb 21, 2002, 08:17 PM

<STRONG>

Guess what! Now you can.

There is an awesome Classic skin you can get here. I'm running it now and it's hot.</STRONG>
Cheers, Thanks for the link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules