Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Saddam Hussein apology

Saddam Hussein apology
Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 03:53 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi President Saddam Hussein apologized Saturday for invading Kuwait 12 years ago and urged Kuwaitis not to support the United States in a potential new military confrontation with Iraq.

Iraq invades Kuwait, literally and figuratively rapes and pillages the place, and then torches as many oil wells as they can while retreating from the Coalition forces. Now that the U.S. is breathing down Saddam�s neck, he apologizes and urges Kuwait to not support any U.S. military action.

I wonder what the Kuwaitis think of this apology?

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 04:09 PM

Damn, he must be getting nervous.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Vanquish
Dec 7, 2002, 04:11 PM

He's just putting up a show, he isn't nervous at all. They'll never find those weapons and if he has them they are probably in the middle of the desert.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2002, 04:23 PM

He just wants to buy time and make as many friends as he can.

I think he is trying to keep NATO off his back while he continues to develop nukes...

All we need to do is find something VERY illegal, and then we can show the world that he is lying... He has had a long time to hide things...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2002, 04:30 PM

"steal your wealth and turn you into slaves working for them and turn your leaders into local agents for American oil companies."

I wish we had an alternative source for energy... Then it would really shake up the world...

That being said... someone is making a mint off of all that oil, and it doesn't seem to be going "to the people'... Notice they didn't say "Stop selling the US oil?" because they want our wealth...

We want the oil, and they want our money...

fulmer
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 04:35 PM

Heh. Better late than never, huh?

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
He's just putting up a show, he isn't nervous at all. They'll never find those weapons and if he has them they are probably in the middle of the desert.
I would expect him to hide them in people's basements, not the desert.

"Here, put this nerve gas in a storage room in your basement. We will take your first born child. If it is found, your child will die."

Vanquish
Dec 7, 2002, 04:41 PM

By iNub:
I would expect him to hide them in people's basements, not the desert.

"Here, put this nerve gas in a storage room in your basement. We will take your first born child. If it is found, your child will die."
That's another possibility .

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 7, 2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

All we need to do is find something VERY illegal, and then we can show the world that he is lying... He has had a long time to hide things...
bush and blair will do that very soon. us officials have said they have proof of biological and chemical weapons along with long-range missles and a disire to devlope nukes in iraq. now IRAQ has given its weapons documents over to Blix, who in turn will show them to the UN were both british and US can compare them to what they have independtly gotten through their own means. if what the iraq report doesn;t match what they know, then they have caught iraq in material violation of the UN agreements, IF they do match then iraq is showing they are indisagreement with UN resolutions.

nice startegy on Bush's part, he is letting iraq hang themselves, and maintaning the moral high ground with the UN, forcing it to cboose whether or not it wants to be relavent.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2002, 08:43 PM

Kuwait has already rejected this half-assed attempt by Saddam to gain some allies. Things must be getting pretty desparate in Baghdad if Saddam has to turn to the nation he invaded ten years go for support.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2002, 09:06 PM

No, really, he's quite sincere. He came over to my house today on his way to the orphanage, (he'd just left the aids hospice) and did my laundry and whippped up a really nice pasta salad, and promised he'd go by the store as soon as he was done volunteering at the soup kitchen.

Saddam has really turned over a new leaf. He even bought all the Kuwaiti's a really nice embroidered doily for on top of their chinettes, and he's planning on washing all of their cars next saturday, as soon as he's baked the Kurds each a cake.

Can't a trannical despot change ?!?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 12:01 AM

-U.S. apologizes for dropping nukes....and you even hear the pilot saying ' what have i done ?' after the bomb is dropped.

-Rape and piledge ? ever watch platoon and what American freedom fighters did to the natives ? then ..later you have unofficial appologies of war veterans.

-U.S. appologizes for blowing up the Chineeses embassy in the Balkans..... nce going washington.

-Manuel Noreiaga (spell ?) .... leader of a south american nation...captured by U.S. intelligence and preety much disappeared.

-these are just a HANDFULL of things we have apologized for.

-we are still fighting for immunity from the ICC....while our 'finest' bring down cable cars in ital, rape women in Japan and run over children in Korea.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I wish we had an alternative source for energy... Then it would really shake up the world... [...] We want the oil, and they want our money...
We will have some alternative sources of energy when people will be mature enough to manage themselves, in a decentralised way (also from an energy production point of view, of course) - which might be very soon or never, according to what priorities individuals perceive regarding their position in society...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
-we are still fighting for immunity from the ICC....while our 'finest' bring down cable cars in ital, rape women in Japan and run over children in Korea.

What in the world is the point of your post?

Speckledstone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 06:21 AM

-U.S. apologizes for dropping nukes....and you even hear the pilot saying ' what have i done ?' after the bomb is dropped.
I can�t speak for the U.S. as a whole, IMO, no apology needed here. I�m sorry it came to this but as far as I�m concerned it saved lives.
-Rape and piledge ? ever watch platoon and what American freedom fighters did to the natives ? then ..later you have unofficial appologies of war veterans.
Any war veterans who committed a war crime should be brought up on charges for acts against the Geneva Convention - End of story.
Yeah, I�ve seen Platoon... It was a pretty good movie... Ever see Pulp Fiction? Does that movie make all people with a southern accent homosexual rapists?
-U.S. appologizes for blowing up the Chineeses embassy in the Balkans..... nce going washington.
It was a mistake... Did you want our government to say, �Ha Ha Ha... we took out your embassy and we are glad we did it.�?
-Manuel Noreiaga (spell ?) .... leader of a south american nation...captured by U.S. intelligence and preety much disappeared.
Sounds like a good punishment to me.
Those actions do not represent our, as you put it, �finest�. They were committed by individuals, not the U.S. Military itself.
From the top to the bottom, you really have some issues with the U.S. Military. What happened to you? Did you get beat up by a bunch of sailors at a bar?

Overall, the appologies you have spoke of were sincere. AFAIK, in all of your examples, the U.S. did not make those appologies in order to gain favor with a particular group of people so that the outcome of a situation would be better for the U.S.

I just think it�s funny that out of all the people in the world, Hussein (being stuck between a rock and a hard place) attempts to gain favor from the Kuwaitis.

digimage
Banned
Dec 8, 2002, 01:58 PM

If you don't like the government, then work to change it.

If you don't like the country, walk north until either your hat floats or you hear "buddah", "aboot", or "eh".

And have a nice day.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 02:12 PM

In his "apology" he said he was really just trying to protect Kuwait because the US was about to invade it. Some apology.

We apologized for Noriega? I don't think so. And last I heard he was in prison in Florida, and had become a born-again Christian.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 8, 2002, 03:43 PM

The real Saddam is acting more and more like the South Park version every day.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 07:05 PM

I just like to say something.

None of us, except our leaders are in the position to comment. Probably not even our opposition leaders.

Seriously, we know nothing except what is fed to us by the media - which is very little.

So until hard evidence comes PUBLIC you can't really make any assumptions.
In vino veritas.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 8, 2002, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
I just like to say something.

None of us, except our leaders are in the position to comment. Probably not even our opposition leaders.

Seriously, we know nothing except what is fed to us by the media - which is very little.

So until hard evidence comes PUBLIC you can't really make any assumptions.
I've been saying this for a long time. People assume they know everything that is going on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules