Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you have a gun in your house for self-defense?

Do you have a gun in your house for self-defense?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 06:54 PM

I've read (or heard) that gun related accidents in households are quite common. I don't have any numbers or even anecdotal evidence to draw from, so I thought I'd let you guys do my homework for me:

Does owning a gun in the house (and knowing how to use it) make a household safer or less safe? Do you know anybody that has had to use their gun? Is it simply comforting to own a gun, even if chances are low that it would actually be used? Or, are people generally a fearful bunch, and gun ownership is generally not warranted?

Theories?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 06:55 PM

Where's the poll?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Where's the poll?

I don't want numbers, I want theories, explanations, and interesting stories

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:03 PM

I just don't think many here who actually do own firearms for personal defense will be very inclined to say so given the types of negative reactions such topics typically incite.

I could be wrong though. I was just curious to see the numbers myself.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 07:08 PM

Having a gun in the home for self-defense can be quite safe. It can also be quite unsafe. It depends mostly on how well the people keeping the gun know what they're doing. Sadly, the rash of complete morons in recent years does not do well for the statistics.

I don't have a gun, nor do I particularly feel a need for one. However, I support the rights of those who do.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:08 PM

I own two rifles... none are in my house. They are all at my parents in a locked cabinet.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Having a gun in the home for self-defense can be quite safe. It can also be quite unsafe. It depends mostly on how well the people keeping the gun know what they're doing. Sadly, the rash of complete morons in recent years does not do well for the statistics.

I don't have a gun, nor do I particularly feel a need for one. However, I support the rights of those who do.
I agree...

A gun is NOT a toy, and if I had young children in the home, there is no way I would keep a gun around.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 07:11 PM

I live in Montana. Nearly everyone I know owns a firearm of somesort.

I, personally, do not. But that's not for any safety reason. I just don't.

My dad has multiple firearms, including a 9mm semi-auto handgun that he keeps in his truck. He has a license to carry a concealed firearm.

He started the practice of keeping the 9mm in his truck when his life was threatened back when he was a state legislator.

He's used it once. To put down a deer who had been hit by a car on the highway he was travelling.

Dad had rifles, shotguns and other guns in the house when I was growing up. He taught me gun safety, but I never really knew where he kept the guns. He never really used them since he stopped hunting when he hurt his back.

He has since used the shotgun hunting with his dog and my father-in-law.

My best friend has a .22 rifle that he shoots gophers with on his property. He SHOULD have a handgun, too, since he lives 40 miles from the nearest town, 8 miles from the Canadian border and lives attached to the bar he owns. Could be an inviting target for someone to try to rob.

Behind the bar he keeps a baseball bat. That's it.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I own two rifles... none are in my house. They are all at my parents in a locked cabinet.
Proper place for them (the locked cabinet.)

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2006, 07:12 PM

In Freakonomics they compare gun accidents to accidental drownings in pools. The pools kill so many more children than guns. I forget the numbers exactly. OK, here's a quote from the author:

LEVITT: The numbers show that if you have a swimming pool in your backyard and a gun in the house, the swimming pool is 100 times more likely to kill your child than your gun. Now, I am not a complete defender of guns, but people respect guns and treat them with respect. And they know the dangers. But people don't always treat swimming pools with respect. They don't realize what great dangers they pose to children.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I agree...

A gun is NOT a toy, and if I had young children in the home, there is no way I would keep a gun around.
Children can, at one time, be both the reason to have and the reason not to have a gun in the home.

Invest in an alarm system and keep the guns locked up where there is a sub-zero percent chance of a child getting to it.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Children can, at one time, be both the reason to have and the reason not to have a gun in the home.

Invest in an alarm system and keep the guns locked up where there is a sub-zero percent chance of a child getting to it.
I agree.

It's also MUCH different living in a major metropolitan city as compared the a rural area. There is no one universal solution. I would never have a rifle where I live now... but where I grew up... sure.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:23 PM

Rifles are a bad choice for a home defense weapon anyway. The best choice is a shotgun with a light to medium shot.

finboy
Jun 19, 2006, 07:44 PM

I just don't think many here who actually do own firearms for personal defense will be very inclined to say so given the types of negative reactions such topics typically incite.

I could be wrong though. I was just curious to see the numbers myself.
It's been brought up plenty of times before. I own them, keep them handy, and pay for the extra risk and expense of keeping them around. And I have had to use them to protect myself and others from deadly force on multiple occasions.

They are dangerous and should only be handled by those experience and training. They also should only be used by those with the actual will to pull the trigger when necessary.

Rumor
Jun 19, 2006, 07:45 PM

A friend of mine learned in a class she took that you are more likely to be shot during a robbery if you have a gun. This makes sense to a degree. I believe that most of the time when someone robs a house with a gun, the gun itself is meant more for itimidation than actually use.

I myself do not own a gun. My roommate has a 9mm though. While I've been trained in the use of sidearms and rifles, I've never really had a use for one. I do have an assortment of throwing knives, bowie knives, swords and a flail.

My best "piece" of protection is my 150lbs dog. Even though she's a sweethart, she's big enough for people to think twice about.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:47 PM

Rifles are a bad choice for a home defense weapon anyway. The best choice is a shotgun with a light to medium shot.
I once heard a police officer say the best protection is the "chec-chig" sound of a pump-action shotgun.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2006, 07:50 PM

I have a close family friend (the whole family) and they have a few guns in the house. They have no young children, live in south carolina, and at least some of them have military training.

Last year the elderly father who was starting to lose his mind from old age shot and killed his wife and didn't even realize what happened.

Please add remove guns from house at whatever age not just lock them up to your gun safety lists.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
I once heard a police officer say the best protection is the "chec-chig" sound of a pump-action shotgun.
I'm guessing "I've got a gun, get out of the house, I've called the police" would work as well

Rumor
Jun 19, 2006, 07:53 PM

Or "Go ahead and strap yourself to the table, the gimp will be in shortly."

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 08:16 PM

My best friend has a .22 rifle that he shoots gophers with on his property. He SHOULD have a handgun, too, since he lives 40 miles from the nearest town, 8 miles from the Canadian border and lives attached to the bar he owns. Could be an inviting target for someone to try to rob.
What about the millio--BILLIONS of people around the world that live in rural areas, hardly any of them have guns

Guns arent needed for self protection.
we don't have time to stop for gas

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2006, 08:25 PM

Gun, no, light saber yes

Seriously I find in this day and age the need for a gun is nill.

Say for a second I owned a gun, I have two kids I don't know what I would do if they found it one day. Yes I was studious to keep it locked away and the gun and ammo seperate. But one day I didn't.

or I kept it locked away, guns and ammo seperate and burgler gets into the house. What good is that going to do. I'd have to be able to get the keys, the gun, the ammo. By that time I would have been better off dialing 911 and getting out of the house.

Or yet another scenerio. A break occurs and I seem to get the gun and ammo in time. The burgler comes at me with a bat and I kill him. In most states I'd be charged with murder as I used excessive force.

The risk of hurting someone you love is far greater then hurting someone who intent on hurting you. Its just not worth it. The scores of accidental shootings bear that out

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 19, 2006, 08:27 PM

No gun, not here. Now say if I lived in Canada I might own one. I heard they were having problems with terrorists now.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 08:38 PM

No way in hell. Never ever.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2006, 08:40 PM

I had to get me one of those concealed carry licenses too... because whenever I wear a long sleeve shirt, I'm concealing my guns. :do arm flexing thing:

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jun 19, 2006, 08:45 PM

Larry has a shotgun, at this moment, not a mutual decision. And kind of a sore subject.

He says that if someone is in our home, pointing a gun at him (or me), he's got a right to shoot them. I see the flip side, if you're pointing a gun at the intruder, they've also got the right to shhot you. (whether this is correct legaly or not, i don't know, but i'm sure the intruder would at least think he had the right) And I'd rather give the thief everything i owned than lose him because he tried to be a hero.

So we've established some basic rules.
1. no "tours" - no friends get to know where the gun is, where the bullets are, or the key.
2. don't be a hero. if you're dead, there's no one here to help me.
3. learn the right way to use it, take a class, go to the range, practice.

I'd rather it not be here at all, but as long as we have some rules, I can bend a little.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 09:07 PM

Even if I wanted to own a handgun legally, I couldn't. In Chicago, there is a complete ban on handguns, unless your handgun was registered before 1982. Handguns may not be registered after 1982.
( Last edited by waxcrash; Jun 19, 2006 at 09:26 PM. )

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
Even if I wanted to own a handgun legally, I couldn't. In Chicago, there is a complete ban on handguns, unless your a handgun that was registered before 1982. Handguns may not be registered after 1982.
That's awesome. Does it work?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
It's been brought up plenty of times before. I own them, keep them handy, and pay for the extra risk and expense of keeping them around. And I have had to use them to protect myself and others from deadly force on multiple occasions.

They are dangerous and should only be handled by those experience and training. They also should only be used by those with the actual will to pull the trigger when necessary.

Can you share with us how you've had to protect yourself with your gun?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Skywalkers new Hand

So what exactly is the handgun ban in Toronto? Toronto only? Ontario? All of Canada? How has it worked?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 09:19 PM

No way in hell. Never ever.

Why not?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 09:24 PM

It keeps the average, law abiding citizen from owning a handgun, but the gangs have no problems getting handguns from the 'straw buyers' who purchase the guns legally from any of the gun shops in the suburbs.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 19, 2006, 09:30 PM

It keeps the average, law abiding citizen from owning a handgun, but the gangs have no problems getting handguns from the 'straw buyers' who purchase the guns legally from any of the gun shops in the suburbs.
Hey as long as honest people don't have guns. That's what matters.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Why not?
I wouldn't feel any safer with one.

If someone with a gun breaks into my house to rob me and I run into them most likely I they will take what they need and leave. If I have a gun they will get very nervous and probably shoot me. That is if there is someone in my house I don't know how I would get to the gun in the first place.

Plus someone is more likely to find it and shoot themselves by mistake.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 09:36 PM

Has the number of shootings lower than average or since before the ban?

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 19, 2006, 09:44 PM

Plus someone is more likely to find it and shoot themselves by mistake.
Not if you are responsible.
Has the number of shootings lower than average or since before the ban?
In Australia the crime rate went up

Here are some key findings about Australian crime trends for the period of 1995 (pre-ban) to 2001 (post-ban) (5):

''The rate of assault has increased steadily from 563 victims per 100,000 people in 1995 to 779 per 100,000 people in 2001.''

''In 2001 the rate for robbery peaked at 136 per 100,000 peopleā€”the highest recorded since 1995.''

''The rate of sexual assault was 86 per 100,000 people, which is higher than any previous year.''

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 09:57 PM

I have a few Katanas, a Wakazashi, and a Tanto. No gun.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 10:01 PM

I have a Smith and Wesson in my night stand.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band ā€¢ my web site ā€¢ my guitar effects ā€¢ my photos ā€¢ facebook ā€¢ brightpoint

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I have a Smith and Wesson in my night stand.

Is that a brand of perfume?

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 19, 2006, 10:11 PM

Gun control has not worked in Canada. Since the new gun registration program started in 1998, the U.S. homicide rate has fallen, but the Canadian rate has increased. The net cost of Canada's gun registry has surged beyond $1-billion -- more than 500 times the amount originally estimated.

Despite this, the Canadian government recently admitted it could not identify a single violent crime that had been solved through registration. Public confidence in the government's ability to fight crime has also eroded, with one recent survey showing only 17% of voters support the registration program.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2006, 10:24 PM

The degree of safety for having a firearm in the home is directly related to the amount of time and effort the home owner has expended in learning about the firearm and how to use it, as well as how to safely store it. Most gun accidents happen because people who shouldn't be allowed a fork buy firearms and then do stupid things with them.

And as Kevin points out, prohibiting private citizens from owning firearms legally just makes it easier for those who have illegal firearms to rob them, beat them, kidnap them, rape them, etc. Look at the crime rate in the UK since they passed that stupid law after the loon shot up those kids at a school yard. It has gone up, Up UP, especially what we'd call "aggravated" assaults-those committed using some form of weapon. Now compare that to states in the U.S. like Texas, Florida and others that have concealed carry laws-crime has dropped dramatically, almost certainly because the bad guys don't know who else might have a gun.

Do I have a gun out in the living room waiting in case someone busts through the door? No. I have a 100 pound German Shepherd dog who's very protective, an alarm system, and a lack of paranoia, as I know about the threats in my area of town and a random breakin while I'm home is not one of them. I'd work two extra jobs if that's what it took to put my family in a home away from a place that made me that frightened. But I own guns because it is my right, and because marksmanship is a particularly good way to challenge myself in the control of my body and what I hold in my hands.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 19, 2006, 10:27 PM

Banning Guns is about as effective as banning drugs or alcohol.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 10:33 PM

Is that a brand of perfume?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...&content=11001

Smith and Wesson have been making handguns, revolvers, and tactical firearms for the average citizen as well as military and law enforcement professionals, since 1852.

Consider the .357 Magnum, or the .38 Special. They've been making the .38 Special since 1899, non-stop.

They actually started prior to 1852, but failed at business and sold the first company to Winchester. Perhaps you've head of Winchester rifles? Winchester originally made shirts.

They reformed and founded the company that is still in existence today.

Oh, my answer to the survey? I have a neighbor who is armed, former military.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 10:35 PM

He SHOULD have a handgun, too, since he lives 40 miles from the nearest town, 8 miles from the Canadian border
Strangely enough I've never felt the need to own a gun for protection and I live in Canada.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2006, 10:35 PM

Gun? No, nor do I need one. I don't live in that kind of society.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Do I have a gun out in the living room waiting in case someone busts through the door? No.
You know, I once played chess with a man who had a 9mm on the table next to the chess board.

He showed me that it was empty, put it in my hands (heavier than I thought it would be, first handgun I had ever held), and I made sure that I pointed it at the floor. And then set it back on the table. And then resumed the chess game.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 19, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Gun? No, nor do I need one. I don't live in that kind of society.

V
Do you guys drive hybrids?

Rumor
Jun 19, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
You know, I once played chess with a man who had a 9mm on the table next to the chess board.

He showed me that it was empty, put it in my hands (heavier than I thought it would be, first handgun I had ever held), and I made sure that I pointed it at the floor. And then set it back on the table. And then resumed the chess game.
Um, why would someone have a gun at a chess game?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Do you guys drive hybrids?
Your point being?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2006, 11:00 PM

Is it really true that the murder rate per capita is substantially higher in the US than in Canada (and other parts of the world)? If so, any theories why?

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006, 11:05 PM

Is it really true that the murder rate per capita is substantially higher in the US than in Canada (and other parts of the world)? If so, any theories why?

Aren't there more gun owners in Canada per capita yet lower gun crimes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules