Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Which mac for me?

Which mac for me?
pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 04:46 PM

So I'm torn now. I had my heart set on a 24" as my Burning Crusade upgrade. Aside from gaming though, I really wanted a macbook pro, but was disheartened my the lack of meroms.

Now that the macbooks have been updated, which machine do you think would show me better performance in WoW? the 24" imac with 2g ram and a 7600gt, or the macbook pro?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:04 PM

The 7600GT is better in WoW than the underclocked X1600. But the MBP still runs it great (>30FPS at the screens native res).

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 02:46 AM

The desktop will give you better performance, but the MBP is definitely no slacker. Plus it has the added benefit of being portable should you ever choose to take it on the road with you. I'd personally go for the MBP, but I always prefer notebooks.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

pwolfe1  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 10:34 AM

Have there been any steps made to get the x1600 running at its intended speeds?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by pwolfe1 View Post
Have there been any steps made to get the x1600 running at its intended speeds?
All I know is that this guy plans support.

http://thomas.perrier.name/index.html

It is a cool tool on PPC macs, though.

The thing is, how do you define intended? Apple intended it to run slower. This is presumably for heat and power concerns. Could you get away with a little overclocking? yes. What happens if you don't get away with it? very expensive not covered under warranty, repair.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 25, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
All I know is that this guy plans support.

http://thomas.perrier.name/index.html

It is a cool tool on PPC macs, though.

The thing is, how do you define intended? Apple intended it to run slower. This is presumably for heat and power concerns. Could you get away with a little overclocking? yes. What happens if you don't get away with it? very expensive not covered under warranty, repair.
How would Apple know it was overclocked? I could be wrong but software overclocking is the last thing Apple would check. People with fried X1600 would call Apple and say that the graphics card stopped working and Apple would probably simply replace it...of course, I really don't encourage anyone to pull such a mischievous stunt.

People that fry their graphics card in that manner should definitely just bite the bullet and buy a new one and learn from the mistakes.

pwolfe1  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 02:50 PM

By 'intended' I guess I mean stock, pre-Apple underclocking. I'm not interested in overclocking it above its factory settings.

And thanks for the above link, I'll be sure to watch for updates.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 01:16 AM

I dont think apple would ever know if you did it. I guess my point is that you should be very careful when doing this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules