Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.0 compatibility problems

Mac OS 9.0 compatibility problems
strepidus
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 1999, 11:56 PM

Just wanted to start a new thread of what applications, utilities, etc. don't work with OS 9. From my personal experience, Smart Scroll doesn't work, and if it's enabled, I always get a double beep when opening a folder.

Does anyone know if Speed Startup works with OS 9? I haven't been brave enough to try it myself...

Calli
Oct 11, 1999, 10:24 AM

After a couple weeks using OS9fc9 on a PowerMac 7200, I have found a few incompatibilities but otherwisw a real good performer.

Virex 6.0 would crash my system (but not 5.9.1 which I have running now);

Conflict Catcher is a no, no;

surprisingly, I couldn't print on my old LaserWriter IINT from Excel 98 (got a bus error) but AppleWorks would print fine. Maybe I should reinstall Office 98...

IE 4.5 is running like a champ (faster than on OS 8.6) as well as other Internet apps.

Calli

Calli
Oct 11, 1999, 11:21 AM

Stupid me! Forget the part about Excel 98 in my previous post... After rebooting the Mac AND the printer, this morning, I could print just fine from Excel.

Sorry for this one

strepidus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 1999, 01:41 PM

That's weird; Conflict Catcher 8 works fine for me. Maybe Apple fixed that problem before release.

kwork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 1999, 12:23 AM

Anyone else had problems with NoFinder Zoom.

It doesn't seem to like OS9. Anybody know of any work arounds to get those pesky finder zoom boxes to dissapear.

-KEV!N

NeonBoy
Oct 12, 1999, 07:49 PM

Okay after trying out MacOS 9f9 here are some incompatibility problem.

1.) Smart Scroll - It beep twice everytime you open a folder.

2.) Conflict Catcher - It will work but it still said Mac OS 8.6 All, Mac OS 8.6 Base on the menu or not at all. Some of the links may not be workign or even totally disabled. There is Conflict Catcher 8.06 now hope it resolved some problem, I havetn try it out yet.

3.) Stuffit Deluxe - It work fine but for some reason it alway get an error message all the time.

4.) Speed Doubler 8 - Totally outdated and will not work.

5.) Ram Doubler 8 - It won't say anything but it also won't do anything once it install.

There may be more but I already give up and go back to Mac OS 8.6. I'm waiting for Connextic to update their product so it will be compatible with Mac OS 9. Hope I don't have to wait too long. Maybe the final released of Mac OS 9 will fixed most of this?. I hope so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules