Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Burger King Employee Baths in Sink

Burger King Employee Baths in Sink
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 04:59 PM

"A four-minute video posted on MySpace captured the employee, self-described as Mr. Unstable, bathing nude in a large stainless steel sink as several other employees and a store manager looked on."

I'm at a loss for words. All I can say is that thankfully he has been fired, and I'm sure Mr. Unstable will be more handy in Iraq than in the restaurant kitchen (he even has the jarhead haircut already).

http://www.wdtn.com/global/story.asp?s=8825514

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 05:00 PM

I hope the manager was canned, too.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 05:03 PM

Actually, after watching the video, it appears he does not have a jarhead haircut but something much worse.

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...deoid=40242463

Paraphrasing a recent Jeremy Clarkson article on a different subject, this is a "shocking insight into the ignorant underclass".

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 05:10 PM

At least you know he washed his hands after using the facilities.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 07:18 PM

Theres a hell of a lot worse going on in fast food restaurants than people taking baths in the sinks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2008, 07:22 PM

"That's just, it's wrong it's a place where families come to eat and them taking a bath in the sink that's just not work ethic," said Crystal Dodge

That's an interesting name.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 07:31 PM

For a stripper.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 07:54 PM

Sounds like the name of a person that takes her family to eat at a fast food joint.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2008, 08:09 PM

I'm not seeing why exactly this is such a huge deal. The sink was sanitised (twice) and all utensils used were thrown away. There is nothing left to pose any kind of health risk. It wasn’t even done (going by the glimpses into the lobby of the restaurant) during opening hours, but after closing.

I can understand why the restaurant would want/have to fire the guy who did the bathing. Even the guy with the camera and the manager (assuming that was the guy wiping the cupboards/ovens/whatevers and cheering him on). But why people would, because of this, refuse to eat at that restaurant again in the future is beyond me. Are they seriously dim-witted/naïve enough to believe that gross things don’t happen in other restaurants?

(Also: having watched the entire video, it doesn’t actually show ‘Mr. Unstable’ “bathing nude in a large stainless steel sink”—at no point does he get up from the sink within the frame of the video, so he could have been wearing clothes. Just being a pedant here.)

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 08:49 PM

One's appetite can be affected by something as small as food coloring or lighting. If something so small is enough to make the typical person alter their food habits, then I would imagine that the notion of Mr. Unstable bathing in the already somewhat-gross cooking area is enough to make you want to choose against eating at the restaurant again.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 09:16 PM

i eat out of my parents sink and i was bathed in there until i was maybe a year old.

what gives?

... and isn't the sink for CLEANING UP anyway? like after the food's already cooked and served?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 09:44 PM

I had BK for dinner. w00t!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 10:00 PM

I've got to say, I don't care much either. It's a stainless sink, it was cleaned after being used as a bath. Anybody who has ever worked in a restaurant kitchen will be able to tell you stories that make this little stunt look harmless.

Also, this is a fast food place. It's not like they wash fresh produce in there.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I've got to say, I don't care much either. It's a stainless sink, it was cleaned after being used as a bath. Anybody who has ever worked in a restaurant kitchen will be able to tell you stories that make this little stunt look harmless.

Also, this is a fast food place. It's not like they wash fresh produce in there.
Exactly. We did lots of stuff that I would consider worse than a bath when I was working at McDonald’s.

One's appetite can be affected by something as small as food coloring or lighting. If something so small is enough to make the typical person alter their food habits, then I would imagine that the notion of Mr. Unstable bathing in the already somewhat-gross cooking area is enough to make you want to choose against eating at the restaurant again.
If something so small as the colour of the food or the lighting where you are is enough to make you alter your eating habits, then you have some issues and you’re not likely to dare eat at any restaurant, much less a fast food joint.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2008, 10:13 PM

No wonder this place is so dead, there don't seem to be any humans left here.

Either that, or I am currently conversing with people from the same sort of class as Mr. Unstable. Which makes sense upon reflection. I will discontinue eating at a restaurant solely because of slightly bad service, and if I knew that the manager allowed this sort of thing to go on, there is no way I would take my money there. I would rather stay in and prepare an Allen Brothers steak for myself.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2008, 10:26 PM

Latest reports say the Chinese government faked the video.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Theres a hell of a lot worse going on in fast food restaurants than people taking baths in the sinks.
Yeah like castrating dogs - oh wait wrong thread

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
No wonder this place is so dead, there don't seem to be any humans left here.

Either that, or I am currently conversing with people from the same sort of class as Mr. Unstable. Which makes sense upon reflection. I will discontinue eating at a restaurant solely because of slightly bad service, and if I knew that the manager allowed this sort of thing to go on, there is no way I would take my money there. I would rather stay in and prepare an Allen Brothers steak for myself.
In other words, you never eat out.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 01:02 PM

I only eat out when I absolutely have to. (Business trips, etc.) When I'm home I'd rather cook in my own kitchen. After reading this thread, you've all reinforced my thoughts on this matter. (gasp)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 01:08 PM

He was having it his way.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 02:10 PM

You watch the interviews with this guy? He is living his 15 minutes for sure as he seems to crave attention.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2008, 02:28 PM

Yet another reason to avoid fast food joints.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
He was having it his way.
Winner.

I can't see what the fuss is about. It's a funny clip. If you're going to eat in a fast food joint you have to expect that some foolishness is going down in the kitchen.

No, I don't eat at BK, but I have been known to grab a sandwich at Chick-fil-a. If I found out they were doing things like this I'd just shake my head and order the usual.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2008, 03:09 PM

Problem is if the health inspector walked in or a customer saw it happen they can get shut down on the spot. If I was the manager and walked in and saw that I would fire the person on the spot as it can cost everyone their job and shut the place down which is exactly what happened here.

It was irresponsible for everyone involved.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2008, 06:00 PM

I'm lost. I'm honestly trying to see why this is so terrible. Do you cook your food in kitchen sinks over there?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 06:12 PM

I don't know. Do you want someone's naked anus and balls in the same container that they use to wash the lettuce going on your sandwich?

Obviously this wasn't a problem as they sanitized it, but what if they didn't? It's also just a bad image to convey to the pubic.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2008, 06:36 PM

Well, I don't know exactly how dirty the people you know are, but the stuff that regularly molds over in my sink is definitely worse than someone's anus and balls :-). Besides, I don't usually rub lettuce I'm washing on the insides of the sink.

This is kind of silly, really. If you want to worry about the cleanliness of your meat, you might want to start by worrying about sh*t-lagoons in feedlots. (or rather just about restaurant staff regularly washing their hands - a much, much bigger concern)

[edit: didn't know that "sh*t" is apparently a very dirty word]

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 06:55 PM

We're talking about Burger King, and the gross thing is a nude guy in the sink? Come on. That's the LEAST of it.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 07:08 PM

i was about to go to bk for dinner....

looks like i'm going down the road for some sushi instead.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
anus and balls
What do you think the food is made out of?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2008, 08:05 PM

As most restaurants operate, this really isn't that bad. You'd be amazed at some of the disgusting things that happen in the kitchen. I worked at a few places, and this would be one of the smaller things I'd be concerned about, if I was the type to be concerned about such things.

From the farm, to the food processing plants, to the shippers, to the actual food prep, there's a lot of things going on that most people don't know about.

I'm more worried about the mental health of an individual who commits such an act as bathing in the sink of a fas food restaurant.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 08:17 PM

I worked at a Sonic for three days. The smell of that sink used to make me gag on the times I had dish duty. To actually bathe in it, I would require a 5-figure reward, at least.

And yeah...only 3 days.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Aug 17, 2008, 01:59 PM

That's nasty, I hope they were all fired and they got a new sink.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2008, 02:04 PM

I hope they put that sink on a rocket and launch it into the sun. Unclean! Unclean!

Or I guess maybe just a rag and some bleach would be fine.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2008, 10:55 AM

It should be a legal requirement that only people with OCD are allowed to work in restaurants.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 11:15 AM

There are definitely far worst things happening in restaurants, but it's more of an issue about if the manager will let his employees get away with doing things like this then you have to think what else is he letting them get away with.

Fast food restaurants are probably the worst when it comes to terrible things done to their foods, which gives us just another reason not to eat at them. I actually don't eat out that much in general for a variety of other reason but the bad things they do to your food at some restaurants is one of the reasons.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 12:02 PM

Just what I was thinking. If you people think this is bad, damn, could I tell you some stories.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
I could I tell you some stories.
Seems like the next logical step for a fading thread.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:12 PM

Let it fade .....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Let it fade .....
You just selfishly want to be able to go out to eat again.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 12:41 PM

1. A metal spatula can scrape things other than burgers off a grill.
2. The burgers don't always stay on the spatula. When they find their way off the spatula, it's not always onto a bun.
3. The towels that are supposedly used for cleaning clean lots of things. Many different things in many different parts of the restaurants. Oh god, I'm grossing myself out.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 01:51 PM

I thought he was kinda cute actually. I would have joined him.

Now, there's some food for thought!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2008, 04:28 PM

I thought he was kinda cute actually. I would have joined him.
Ditto. Joined him, and then given him a haircut.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Ditto. Joined him, and then given him a haircut.
I like the hair.

Then again, I always liked the freaky/goth types.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
There are definitely far worst things happening in restaurants, but it's more of an issue about if the manager will let his employees get away with doing things like this then you have to think what else is he letting them get away with.

Fast food restaurants are probably the worst when it comes to terrible things done to their foods, which gives us just another reason not to eat at them. I actually don't eat out that much in general for a variety of other reason but the bad things they do to your food at some restaurants is one of the reasons.
I think mom and pop small restaurants are a much worse. Profit margins are razor thin. Food is allowed to sit in storage longer and possibly spoil. With he major fast food places they don't have to worry as much. Cleanliness standards are usually way above health codes and the food is very fresh.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 20, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I think mom and pop small restaurants are a much worse. Profit margins are razor thin. Food is allowed to sit in storage longer and possibly spoil. With he major fast food places they don't have to worry as much. Cleanliness standards are usually way above health codes and the food is very fresh.
I understand what you are saying about mom and pop small restaurants who run on razor thin margins but at least in America a lot of fast food restaurants are primarily run by teenagers who don't seem to care much about the quality of work they do since it's not their long time career job.

So it's not necessarily the amount of money a restaurant makes but the type of workers they employ. For example, a restaurant like McDonalds is not going to lose much money if a burger fell on the floor and was then thrown away, but I've heard of many stories of employees just simply picking up these dropped burgers and giving them to customers. Their employees just don't care no matter how much a restaurant is making in profits.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2008, 12:28 PM

Dropped burger incident, two scenarios:

1. Fast Food: Kids drops burger, has been told in training multiple times to throw it away, trash can is 10 feet away, he shoots, he scores.

2. Non-chain family place: Kid/adult drops burger, has been told numerous times he will be fired if food is found in the trash, picks it up and feeds it to poor sap who doesn't know any better.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 20, 2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
1. Fast Food: Kids drops burger, has been told in training multiple times to throw it away, trash can is 10 feet away, he shoots, he scores.
Being told and actually doing is two different things. I have friends who have worked in fast food restaurants and you really don't want to know what they do to your food.

My point is that profit margins is not the only factor in finding a good restaurant who won't do things to your food. The quality of employees plays a role in what happens in a restaurant.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 03:59 PM

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2008, 04:09 PM

I am so jonesing for a BK Whopper w/Cheeze right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules