Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Extra Year of AppleCare for TiBook at Apple Education Store?

Extra Year of AppleCare for TiBook at Apple Education Store?
Dov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2001, 02:01 PM

Several weeks ago I remember seeing on the Apple Store for Education, special pricing on an AppleCare plan for the powerbook, which was for 4 years instead of the standard 3. I cannot seem to find it now. Does anyone have any info on such a thing? Do you know where on the apple web site this is? or did they pull it? Or was i hallucinating?
dov

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2001, 02:16 PM

I bought my TiBook through the Apple Stor for Education with the Apple Care plan it was for 3 years. I am not sure how that actually works thought, does that mean that I get it for 3 years after the original year of service which equals 4 years. Either way when you buy it, it is for 3.

Launcelot0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2001, 06:50 PM

I bought a Ti through my campus computer store (apple licensed reseller), and only was offered a 3 year apple care. This is a total warranty of 3 years (1 year of original + 2 years additional). The way it was explained to me was that apple no longer offers 4year applecare packages for laptops. Doesnt seem logical when most colleges are 4 years.

splyn
Feb 28, 2001, 11:31 PM

its all in the timing. say you get delivery and register your new Ti on Jan 1 (for arguments sake). the original warranty is parts and labor for defective items with tech support for 90 days. then the tech support goes away and the rest of the warranty continues for one year. during that year you can purchase and implement an ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS with Apple Care. this brings you to a total of four years.

many people choose to implement the Apple Care at the end of the first 90 days so that they can use the tech support.

------------------
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here
im feeling a lot more like i do now than i did when i first got here

Launcelot0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2001, 11:56 PM

I dont think it is about timing. The explanation i received from apple and the apple rep. at my school requires you to purchase the applecare package during the 1st year warranty, and it will only extend it for 2 years (total of 3 years of warranty). I dont think it matters when during the 1st year you buy applecare, it is a TOTAL of 3yrs, not additional 3 years. This is my understanding.

Forum Links
Forum Rules