Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aesthetics of Apple Computers

Aesthetics of Apple Computers
alieng79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2001, 11:24 AM

I'm a senior in college and writing a final paper on the aesthetics of apple computers and i have a few questions that i wanted to ask to see what people think about the topic. I would really appreciate the help, as this paper is due friday

1. When you first bought an apple product were you impressed by the aesthetics of the product and was it a major factor in purchasing the machine?
2. How is the Apple community different from any other computer community?
3. Do you feel that a person is more productive when using an Apple computer as opposed to a computer running windows?
4. Do you think that computers should be aesthetically pleasing or does the idea of a "cute" and "easy to use" computer bother you?
5. Do you consider your computer more than just a "computer", what i mean is many people will call their computers their babies, etc? Do you feel the same and why do you feel this way? If you dont, why?

Thanks a lot for the help. Before or after answering the questions can you please let me know how long you have been a Mac user. As for me, ive used Apple products on and off in my life, starting off with an Apple IIe, i've just recently purchased the TiBook, and i dont think i could ever go back to using a Windows based machine. I love this machine!!!

machappy
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2001, 11:36 AM

my first mac was a 6115 performa, I go it because I loved my apple II+ and always thought Apple was a cool company. I have had a 7300, power center pro, a lombard and a G4 400 sawtooth.

1. When you first bought an apple product were you impressed by the aesthetics of the product and was it a major factor in purchasing the machine?

yes I liked the look of the hardware and the OS

dunno, more artists maybe.. more of a brotherhood(or personhood to be pc). often referred to as cult like.

3. Do you feel that a person is more productive when using an Apple computer as opposed to a computer running windows?

yes I have seen this in action many times. people with macs like to sit down at their machines and work.
I have a pc next to my mac thats equally as fast with all the same apps and I tend to gravitate to the mac 10x out of 10.

4. Do you think that computers should be aesthetically pleasing or does the idea of a "cute" and "easy to use" computer bother you?

yes cute and easy to use are good. I like them

5. Do you consider your computer more than just a "computer", what i mean is many people will call their computers their babies, etc? Do you feel the same and why do you feel this way? If you dont, why?

I try not to get too attached to something I am going to sell in 6 months, but I can see how mac users come to love there systems. Sometimes the cash out lay plays a factor in the attachment to material things. (i.e. more cash u put out the more attach u r)

[This message has been edited by machappy (edited 04-30-2001).]

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2001, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by alieng79:
I'm a senior in college and writing a final paper on the aesthetics of apple computers and i have a few questions that i wanted to ask to see what people think about the topic. I would really appreciate the help, as this paper is due friday

Thanks a lot for the help. Before or after answering the questions can you please let me know how long you have been a Mac user. As for me, ive used Apple products on and off in my life, starting off with an Apple IIe, i've just recently purchased the TiBook, and i dont think i could ever go back to using a Windows based machine. I love this machine!!!

1) Yes. I am a sucker for packaging. I admit it. I did, however, do the research first. Ultimately, RISC and GUI sucked me in. I suppose GUI falls under packaging.
2) Brand loyalty. No other consumer group is more brand loyal (in my experience). Evidence? How much abuse did Apple heap at us through the '90s? How many of us stayed? Guilty here. I am very willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt on pretty much anything. Except that Newton thing. My ass is still smoking on that one.
3) Definitely. Just to keep it short, I spend far more time WORKING on my computer as opposed to working ON my computer. The machine has made the jump from Techie toy to appliance. The Mac does not make us jump through hoops or learn anything arcane. It puts it into our hands. Some would say that we are moving away from that. I say no. Apple is just broadening it's base by hooking in a bigger and geekier market.
4) I think companies that ignore what so obviously appeals to consumers on an eye candy level are hurting themselves. We, as average consumers are suckers for the "neato factor" on visual levels on equal par with "neato factors" under the hood. No different from cars. They are extensions of our personalities- not just simple tools. Proof? What is the biggest selling single PC model in history? iMac (that's still true, right?). Laptop? iBook.
5) Again, guilty. I anthropomorphise my Macs. They all have names. I do this moreso than with my cars. Serves no real purpose except to make me, the user, more comfortable. Same as above- they are extensions of my personality.
A last note- I think a lot of conclusions can be drawn from this: I would NEVER own a Cadillac... or what I call a "penis" truck or car ( a car that has been jacked up/ down, had a obscene amount of third party products installed- spoiled, hydroliced and decked out with lights with a stereo system that makes your colon twitch even when it's still three miles off- I call them "penis" vehicles because these people are obviously trying to make up for something- no offense to anyone). It would say something about me that I do not want said. On the other hand, I am happy about what using a Mac says about me.
6) Quote me if ye wants, shipmate.
7) Been a Mac User since 1984 when my high school bought a few for usage with typsetting in a printshop & graphics class. I did not own my own until 1992 when I bought a Performa 6116 named Dr. Benway. Thence to a PB 1400 (I still miss that 'book- it set the naming convention for all of my portables- they are all called Ahab. It is silly, but when I transfer files and prefs, I call it a spirit transfer- the new machine also gets the name. Yah, I know. Dumb. But there it is). Then I got a MP 130, named Queequeg, then an MP 2100 (both are still in daily use) named Mr. Stubbs. I then gave my 6116 to my parents and got a g3 300 Beige. I named it Dr. Faustus. Any PC I own has a name of a Shakespearian villain (and has a desktop arranged to look as Mac like as possible). At work- a G4 named Pequod, G3 named Pip, a PowerCenter Pro named Rachel, a 6300/300 named Tashtego (see the pattern?). They all have distinct personalities and specific uses. I have yet to name my Titanium- it arrives in October, so I've got time. I may actually go so far as to call it Moby. Or the White Whale. I have time to think on't.

[This message has been edited by maxelson (edited 05-01-2001).]

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 11:49 AM

1. MacPlus, yes
2. Don't know the 'other' community
3. No, that's a typical Macusers myth
4. Yes
5. No, it's a machine. A fine instrument, yes. But not a 'baby', I have real ones, I like the Mac but it can't compete.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2001, 11:52 AM

1. When you first bought an apple product were you impressed by the aesthetics of the product and was it a major factor in purchasing the machine? - id certainly say that the aesthetics of the machine are a factor, both hardware and software wise. more software/OS wise than hardware, but the looks are important to me, im just shallow and vain like that.

2. How is the Apple community different from any other computer community? - apples are used more for design than anything i feel, so id say its a more artistic community. of course my answer is biased and if you asked a windows fan this youd get a completely different answer. we are smarter faster and appreciative of finer things.

3. Do you feel that a person is more productive when using an Apple computer as opposed to a computer running windows? - i use a windows computer at work and it works fine for the most part. the way i interface with it is different and i dont like that part as much, but all in all its equally as productive.

4. Do you think that computers should be aesthetically pleasing or does the idea of a "cute" and "easy to use" computer bother you? - i think everything in life should be designed with a certain amount of aesthetics in mind. i love good design.

5. Do you consider your computer more than just a "computer", what i mean is many people will call their computers their babies, etc? Do you feel the same and why do you feel this way? If you dont, why? - my imac is just a computer. i love it and all the things it does for me, but im not emotionally attached to it or anything. although id maybe feign that sort of emotion just for kicks.

ive used macs on and off at jobs/school for years. ive owned macs at home for just over a year. i could see myself going to another product if it proved itself superior.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

alieng79  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2001, 12:59 PM

Forgot to ask you guys...If you allow me i'll be putting some of your quotes in my paper for evidence...so for those who have posted replies already can u let me know if you r ok w/ that, and for anyone else who responds to the questions, can u please do so as well. Thanks!

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2001, 01:06 PM

Forgot to ask you guys...If you allow me i'll be putting some of your quotes in my paper for evidence...so for those who have posted replies already can u let me know if you r ok w/ that, and for anyone else who responds to the questions, can u please do so as well. Thanks!
No Problem.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 01:16 PM

OK with that (you US people are soooo carefull. Never know what you might get sued for)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2001, 01:25 PM

Ah! You're an alien too!

------------------
\ / ( ) ( ) | ) ( ) ( )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2001, 01:31 PM

I used Apple first time begin 90's.

#1 Yes!I finally convinced my gf to replace our PC,by pointing out how goodlooking a i-mac is!
#2 Mac people are more devoted to their machines then any wintel user ever will be.I asume this is because you really choose for Apple,and just buy a PC.
#3 I am!!
#4 Why should all puters be boring gray boxes?
#5 I hope it's more,otherwise I'm talking to a dead plastic box....

Good luck!!
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 02:03 PM

Yes. I bought a MacTV first. Loved the black case, and the concept, which was ahead of its time.

Tighter, more loyal, smarter.

Do I feel that? Yes. Do I know that? No. It�s a heart/head thing. In my heart, I believe that the Mac can make you more productive. In my head, I think it�s probably a wash.

Aesthetics is important to me, and my profession. But, a colleague who is a PC lover disdains the cuteness of the iMac. That bothers me.

No, I don�t humanize inanimate objects. I try not to even construct sentences that imply that.

You can quote me, although I didn't really write anything quotable. I'v had a Mac since 1994, and have worked using various platforms (mostly DOS and Windows) since 1986. I now have my own Toshiba laptop as well as my two Macs.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2001, 02:13 PM

1. The Mac has always been a little different. With the dawning of the iMac and the B&W G3, the outside has always been cool. The "cool" factor of the Mac is just one reason I like them. The aesthetics of the OS are great too. The Mac OS has always been easy to use and it's always looked good when side-by-side a PC. I would say, if I got another B&W G3 right now, I would have to find another B&W LCD display. It matters more for the display I think, because that isn't where the power lies (although I wish I had a higher resolution).

2. I would say brand loyalty. It also seems Mac users like their Macs as more than just tools. Mac users have to decide on a Mac from Apple. They can't just go out and pick up some off brand because they like the OS. You get a Mac because you want a Mac.

3. More productive? Studies have shown that, but I don't think so. I don't think I'm more productive. If anything, I'm more productive on a PC, because I only want to sit down at it long enough to finish what it was that made me sit down at it... The only reason PC users seem less productive is because they have more people, more games, more kids playing the more games.

4. I hate it when the girls at school would call my friend's iBook "cute." I'd always have correct them. It's "cool," not "cute." Easy to use is a selling point. It is easy to use. That's why I like it. It's powerful, yet easy to handle. I like that Macs look good. It really says something when PC companies have to copy the aesthetics of a Mac to sell computers.

5. Big 'Pooter is a member of the family. So is Lil' 'Pooter and Lime 'Pooter. Biggie (his nickname) is a B&W G3. His best friend, Lil' 'Pooter, is a rev. A Blueberry iBook. Lime 'Pooter is back home as the work 'Pooter. He sits in my best friend's dad's office. I do not own these computers, but as a very close friend of the family (I was practically adopted), they are mine as much as they are anyone else's. Sure, sure. We give them personalities, but we don't call them babies. I don't talk to them or pretend they are "alive" but when referring to them, it's just easier to give them a name. Kinda like Beewee (real name Billy). He's just a Silky Terrier, but we gave him a personality. (We do kinda treat him like a baby).

6. Is it OK if I quote you?

6. Go nuts. My real name is Jared Wangen, if that's better than Xeo.

7. How long have you been a Mac user? What Macs have you owned?

7. My history with Macs started right around my 8th grade year. I was one of the first "TechMasters" in my school. I used the Macs there very frequently, much of the school day, up until my 11th grade year (in fall) when TechMasters became a joke and I left. The original founder left a year before that, and the new person killed it. For the next year and a half, I lost touch with Macs all together. I didn't do much with computers, but Macs were still my computer of choice. When I made CDs, it was on my Dad's PC (it was and is a POS). Then, last January I started using my best friend's computers on a regular basis (The ones listed above). For the last year, I've reintroduced myself to the Mac and I've really gotten into OS X.

Technically, I don't own a Mac. I use Big 'Pooter and Lil' 'Pooter every day. I "own" them, I guess. I mean, I could take Lil' 'Pooter away on a trip or something, and it wouldn't be a big deal. I bought the LCD display for Biggie just before we came to college. I've invested in HD space and RAM. If it's any consolation, I'm working on gettin' a G4 by the end of the summer.

I apologize for the long post. I couldn't help myself.

------------------

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Ah! You're an alien too!

J�, k�ri vinur og �g tala l�ka �slensku!

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:

A last note- I think a lot of conclusions can be drawn from this: I would NEVER own a Cadillac... or what I call a "penis" truck or car
I had a roommie in college who had a "muscle car"--or what seemed to be one, with a non-functional hood scoop for decoration. We used to call it a non-functional penis-extension

------------------
Es ist der Geist, der sich den K�rper baut.--Goethe

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 04-30-2001).]
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2001, 11:58 PM

Now that the joke is out of the way, let me respond to the originator of the thread.

I bought my first Mac in 1986, on the advice of the computer science department head at the college where I was teaching. She told me that I'd love it. She was right. It was a 512Ke, the kind of alll-in-one, small footprint machine that Macs got right first time and every time since then. I suppose that for the time the 512 was "cute," but I bought it because my friend told me I'd be able to use it out of the box without any instruction. She was right again. In the three years before I got the computer, I wrote and published one article in a scholarly journal. In the three years after I got the computer I wrote and published five articles. Ease of use was and is the name of the game for me, even now that I've gotten to be pretty good at wielding this wonderful tool that Apple has given us.

I think the Apple community is a community. I'm not sure that there's such a thing as a windows community. No doubt I'm wrong. Let me give an analogy. Windows users are like drivers of automobiles. They're a dime a dozen. Mac users are like drivers of motorcycles. They may not know the cycle driver going the other way on the highway, but still they wave at each other. There's some of that community feeling among users of other OSs, particularly the *nixes, but those groups seem to be monocultures of computer nerds (no offence at all intended--on the contrary, lots of admiration and jealousy). A community is a community because of the diversity of folks in it who come together despite their differences. That's the Mac users world in a nutshell.

The aesthetics of the Mac is important, but not the final criterion. Still, I love the way Macs look, both the box and the OS, whether the classic OS or X. Attention to aesthetic detail seems to go hand in hand with attention to functionality.

Finally, yes I consider my computers more than just computers. I have a great time with my computers, and in some sense they've come to be my friends. Obviously I don't mean that literally, but there's a feeling there that goes beyond the mere machinery. For instance, I still have the 512Ke Mac, my first one, as well as the Classic II, my second one, and the iMac Rev A, my third, and the G4 Yikes, my fourth, and the Wallstreet PB, my fifth, and the new baby, my son's iBook, my sixth. When we got the iBook my wife made noises about giving up the iMac. Over my dead body, I said

------------------
Es ist der Geist, der sich den K�rper baut.--Goethe
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2001, 12:34 AM

Some people like Apple computer aesthetics, others (who don't know what the **** they're talking about) immediately denounce them as being toys, which is untrue in entirety.

The designs of the PowerBook "Pismo", the iBook, the Cube, and the iMac for that matter, are extremely impressive. There is something special about the way Macs are designed that appeals to some, but not others. The special thing is that there are almost no buttons, symbols, ports, or whatever visible when in normal use, and all the ports are hidden. This makes the machine extremely elegant, but some people automatically assume that this makes them more toys and not fully functional computers.

I think I am less productive when I use my PC because its multimedia features are too addictive. For example, the GeForce2 in my computer cranks out so many FPS that Quake becomes almost reality. Environmental audio is equally as impressive. If I were using a Sony VAIO R505, I would be equally as productive as I am on my PowerBook, as their multimedia features are on par.

The PC community is nonexistant. Nobody cares about anybody else. The Mac community, on the other hand, is so close that people might suspect it to be a cult.

I'm happy that I bought my first PowerBook, but I should have bought an iMac DV Special Edition. Portables made my life too "connected" and distracting, and thus my grades dropped like rocks sink to the ocean floor.

Good luck on your report!

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2001, 01:50 AM

Yes, I was and it did factor in quite a bit. I had never dealt with a computer that had a look of complete technological harmony.

People who use Apple products are very dedicated to their equipment. We know that we use the brand that is second in sheer numbers, but that makes us even more appreciative of the quality we have.

I feel more productive with Macs because my downtime due to crashes, software conflicts or bad hardware has been minor to nonexistent.

Asthetically pleasing doesn't have to mean "cute." I think the G4 tower is asthetically pleasing, and I think it looks like a brick sh**house on steroids. It's tough, but in a pleasing manner.

I really consider my Macs as extremely important and part of my life. I do have a life, I just choose to integrate the Macs into it. It really works out good. I don't call them my "baby" or anything, I just consider them important and very great to work with.

------------------
Enjoy Sunny Graphics/Illustration

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 1, 2001, 02:27 AM

I have yet to TECHNICALLY buy an Apple product... I'm still savin' for a new comp, maybe a Cube depending on how persuasive Cipher13 can be, and how much money I collect. I have, however, fallen completely in love with my boyfriend's DP 450, being the main reason I want to get one of my own. I am definately impressed by the beauty of the machines, but that isn't the main reason i want one. I want the ease of use that goes with the OS.

Y'all are so friendly! I enjoy asking questions here, without worrying about getting flamed for making a stupid remark.

YES! There is definately an increase of productivity when you aren't dealing with the blue screen of death every hour on the hour! That and Internet Explorer crashing every half hour! It slows progress to a crawl!

I am not bothered by the idea of my computer being cute and easy to use. I think style is, while not the most important factor, at least a perk. I don't really enjoy my tower being a bland beige box.

All computers definately have a personality! If not, what do you blame their exquisite timing on? They always crash the day before a final paper is due, or something else tragic like that!

I've been using a mac since the beginning of the school year, about September. I'm fine for you quoting me, although I probably didnt' say anything helpful... Good luck on your paper!

------------------
...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2001, 05:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alieng79:

not so much the aesthetics as the ingenious design of it. I got a G4 DP tower so while it does look cool, I more appreciate the easy way to open up the tower to add more hard drive, RAM, etc..

have only been with one so I really don't know. But from what I have seen, Mac people seem to be much more open to talking about stuff more rationally. Mention 'mac' or 'apple' in a PC forum and be prepared for a **** storm.

I feel that I am much more production because they machine doesn't crash! I also think the UI is much more intuitive but that is mainly because I have used macs all of my life and know them very well. But since it's a windows world I also know how to use and fix then too.

Cute I really couldn't care all that much about. But would you rather have a good looking toaster or television or an ugly looking one? As for easy to use, of course! Computers are meant to be used, not repaired and fiddled with all of the time.

yes, my computer is, moody, to say the least. His name is bob. My girlfriend hates and loves my computer. He is very moody to her, and is a darling to me. But, bob is nice enough to her that she is going to be selling her computer and getting a mac, so what does that tell ya? I love my computer, again, my girlfriend is jealous of him....hum...maybe that is why she doesn't like bob.

[EDIT] Yes you can quote me. John Worthington if you need it. I started using macs in kindergarden in 85'. My father bought a mac plus sometime in 86'. Replaced by a LCII that was upgraded to an LCIII during 92-93, Power mac 8100/80 whenever they first came out, 94'. In 99 we got a iMac revision D. Lap tops, we got a powerbook 190 or so around 95' and then last october a powerbook firewire, and then another because apple was offering a deal on them by trading in his old powerbook for cash off. Then there is my bob, DP G4 450.
------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)

[This message has been edited by juanvaldes (edited 05-01-2001).]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
J�, k�ri vinur og �g tala l�ka �slensku!
How many languages do you speak?!? I am actually bordering on impressed!

yadda_yadda_yadda
May 1, 2001, 11:36 AM

Hell yea! I went to get a PC in 1999, but the super-stylish blue iMac drew me in.

Well, do you see "Dell-Addict"? "GatewayInsider"? I don't think so! Apple is special.

The overall user experience (Mac OS 9.1) is just so much better... I feel as if I can get more work done with less problems.

I think computers are good stylish and cool-looking, but sometimes it goes too far (Flower Power). Ugh!

I do not feel this way... my iMac is an iMac. It's not a living thing, it doesn't have a name, I don't talk to it, etc. It's a computer. Nuff said.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
How many languages do you speak?!? I am actually bordering on impressed!
When you live in Iceland you have to learn the talk, else everybody will consider you a complete idiot, it's tough and the most difficult language I've had to learn.

Sorry to disturb the thread with this non relevant addition.

VRL
Senior User
May 2, 2001, 06:02 AM

1. Aesthetics are very important to me. The first Mac I used (5215CD) was an all-in-one, and I thought it was a brilliant design. Now, the Ti-book has the best computer design, IMO (although my B&W G3 has a special place in my heart ) Like others, I believe the Mac OS has more to do with the attractiveness of Macs. It simply "feels" better to use a Mac. And yes, I feel that way about OS X as well.

2. I concur ... Apple users are loyal users. I would also say that most Apple enthusiasts (at least those I know) are very knowledgeable about computers in general/other platforms (even more knowledgeable than those who use the "other" platforms).

3. Speaking from experience - I spend quality time on my Macs. And time is money. I can plug things in and/or install software and usually use them right away without troubleshooting. That makes it easy to be productive. (I cannot say the same for the Windows computer sitting behind me.)

4. Cute and easy to use doesn't bother me as long as I can get the G4 desktops (i.e. professional quality machines). Different people have different needs and tastes. The more choices, the better.

5. Of course, my Macs are part of the family. I, too, have names for all of them. And I have literally cried when packing my computers away for a move, realizing that I couldn't use them for a week.
Why? I rely on my computers to make a living. Communication with family/friends is almost effortless (I'm from the U.S., and snail mail is a pain in the a**.) My computers rarely fail me (I take very good care of them). I also use my computers for entertainment (am addicted to StarCraft).

Like I (and others) have said before ... I am fortunate, because I get it. I understand the power an beauty that is Macintosh.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 2, 2001, 11:05 AM

You should see my room. Everything has to match. When I look for peripherals, they have to be Bondi. The mac community is the best in the world . Everyone is so nice and helpful and I would NEVER buy a PC.

------------------

The Apple Youth

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2001, 03:40 PM

On a poll by Business Week a couple months ago, they stated that users of Apple Macintoshes are the most loyal customers and 96% buy another Apple Macintosh. That's amazing!

That's a HUGE contrast to the 54% of the PC users who buy another PC of the same brand (or switch to a Mac. Hehe.)

I don't have the link for you, sorry, but you might be able to find it. It also talks about how Macintosh users "defend" their products more than any other computer user.

I thought this was interesting cuz of how small Apple's user base is (relative to PCs, of course) and yet have the most loyal customers who return to Apple and their products over and over again. Evidence like this has to show something about the quality and usability of an Apple Macintosh if NINETYSIX PERCENT return for another Macintosh.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

alieng79  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2001, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the help! Handing in my paper in a bit!

eep!
Mac Elite
May 4, 2001, 01:04 PM

I haven't bought one yet... Yeah, I was influenced by the design of the hardware and software, also, I think OSX is another reason (I don't know why, I've never even used it yet!) The clinchers though are Apples new found strength and the fact that mac users are so loyal.

Loyalty, for the most part. Snobbishness and elitism from the extra-vocal members (those are in very small numbers, thankfully)

It wouldn't be very fair to answer that for the moment (see Q1)

Do you mean cute like Hello Kitty or just well designed? I'd like my computer to look like it's been thought out properly, not just thrown together, nor do I want it to look like a toy.

I think atatching a personality to a computer is a sign you should go outside and meet more people. Like talking to the TV, same thing.

6. Is it OK if I quote you?
Why? If you haven't finished you're report and you want to include anything I've said, go right ahead, just make sure to get my name right 'eep!'

7. How long have you been a Mac user? What Macs have you owned?
It's a negative number and a zero.

-- eep!

Forum Links
Forum Rules