Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Most Overrated Rock Bands/Musicians

Most Overrated Rock Bands/Musicians (Page 4)
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2004, 04:50 PM

Another very overrated band RUSH

that dude has no busyness behind the mic

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:

Oh now it's serious

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 05:26 PM

Has anyone chimed in with the ever appropriate "Opinions are like arse holes..." yet?
I, ASIMO.

iTunesHacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 05:51 PM

Pink Floyd. Not that they are bad, but they're not as good as they are said to be. Just my opinion.

iTH

misc
Mar 24, 2004, 06:41 PM

I think that Ben Folds is underrated.

I'm going to ignore the comments about Bob Dylan on the first couple pages.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2004, 08:02 PM

Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, U2??? U2's 90s stuff for the most part isn't any good, but the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are two of the best albums i've heard. Mind you, I used to think U2 was overrated, but over the last year or so I've really gotten into their music. Live, U2 is amazing.

Most overrated: the rolling stones.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I absolutely love Zep, but they did put out a *lot* of junk between their classics!

The Beatles are to me, so far, unsurpassed.
Zep is fine until you realize all the people they stole their music from without asking or giving credit.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Zep is fine until you realize all the people they stole their music from without asking or giving credit.
I appreciate that sentiment but I think it's often misapplied. I think Zep (and The Stones before them) should have given songwriting credit wherever it was due, but I don't think it diminishes the quality of their output at all, it just means that they got greedy on occasion. In fact, a lot of the blues lyrics that were claimed by people like Willie Dixon were themselves inherited from previous generations, so you could point fingers in a lot of directions. Ditto the music - the blues is one giant bowl of soup from which everyone draws. The Stones and Zep just put their own stamp on it. Dismissing their output because it's blues-based is like dismissing Dylan because he was inspired by Woody Guthrie.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I appreciate that sentiment but I think it's often misapplied. I think Zep (and The Stones before them) should have given songwriting credit wherever it was due, but I don't think it diminishes the quality of their output at all, it just means that they got greedy on occasion. In fact, a lot of the blues lyrics that were claimed by people like Willie Dixon were themselves inherited from previous generations, so you could point fingers in a lot of directions. Ditto the music - the blues is one giant bowl of soup from which everyone draws. The Stones and Zep just put their own stamp on it. Dismissing their output because it's blues-based is like dismissing Dylan because he was inspired by Woody Guthrie.
I'm not saying that the quality of output is low (although Jimmy Page's guitar-playing is lauded perhaps a bit too much), but it definitely lowers their reputation and supposed song-writing quality.

Here's a short list I found (which doesn't include covers the band credited to th authors or the less blatant ripoffs, like the "Supersition" riff in "Trampled Underfoot").
  • "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" - A folk song by Anne Bredon, this was originally credited as "traditional, arranged by Jimmy Page," then "words and music by Jimmy Page," and then, following legal action, "Bredon/Page/Plant."
  • "Black Mountain Side" - uncredited version of a traditional folk tune previously recorded by Bert Jansch.
  • "Bring It On Home" - the first section is an uncredited cover of the Willie Dixon tune (as performed by the imposter Sonny Boy Williamson).
  • "Communication Breakdown" - apparently derived from Eddie Cochran's "Nervous Breakdown."
  • "Custard Pie" - uncredited cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down," with lyrics from Sleepy John Estes's "Drop Down Daddy."
  • "Dazed And Confused" - uncredited cover of the Jake Holmes song (see The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes).
  • "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper" - uncredited version of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em On Down."
  • "How Many More Times" - Part one is an uncredited cover of the Howlin' Wolf song (available on numerous compilations). Part two is an uncredited cover of Albert King's "The Hunter."
  • "In My Time Of Dying" - uncredited cover of the traditional song (as heard on Bob Dylan's debut).
  • "The Lemon Song" - uncredited cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" - Wolf's publisher sued Zeppelin in the early 70's and settled out of court.
  • "Moby Dick" - written and first recorded by Sleepy John Estes under the title "The Girl I Love," and later covered by Bobby Parker.
  • "Nobody's Fault But Mine" - uncredited cover of the Blind Willie Johnson blues.
  • "Since I've Been Lovin' You" - lyrics are the same as Moby Grape's "Never," though the music isn't similar.
  • "Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit.
  • "White Summer" - uncredited cover of Davey Graham's "She Moved Through The Fair."
  • "Whole Lotta Love" - lyrics are from the Willie Dixon blues "You Need Love."
I mean, come on, that's a LOT of stealing!

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:

I hate you forever.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2004, 01:44 AM

Caveat Emptor: Geddy Lee has no business SINGING. Let's admit it, folks � he sounds like a weiner.

Musically, they simply can't be beat. Lifeson is insane, Lee's a fantastic bassist, and Peart is of course a legendary drummer.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
Caveat Emptor: Geddy Lee has no business SINGING. Let's admit it, folks � he sounds like a weiner.

Musically, they simply can't be beat. Lifeson is insane, Lee's a fantastic bassist, and Peart is of course a legendary drummer.

greg
i am not a rush fan at all....just a matter of taste i guess....i appreciate the musicianship - there is no doubting these guys know their way around their instruments - it just doesn't do it for me.....(and yeah, the guy should not be let anywhere near a microphone....if they him sing, you gotta wonder how bad the other 2 are....)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

saddam hussein
Mar 25, 2004, 11:03 AM

Creed?

Oh wait i thought you said "most sh!tty vile ridiculous heinous buttrock band" - my mistake.
Didn't they change their name to Faith+1?

"Satan, your ass is gigantic and red-
who am I supposed to pretend you are, Liza Minelli?"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by saddam hussein:
Didn't they change their name to Faith+1?

http://images.southparkstudios.com/m...9_image_05.jpg
'I wanna get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus! I wanna feel his salvation all over my face!

Funniest episode in a long time.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
A lot of people happened to mention Led Zeppelin as being overrated...but guess what? That's because they're actually good. Many have tried to emulate Jimmy Page on the guitar without success. Especially for their time, they were way ahead of everyone else, so many other newer rock bands looked up to them.
Jimmy Page is far from the greatest guitarist ever.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by tterp:
And one could even argue that the rock bands of the 1980-95 killed them self off with delayed shows, too drunk to play, scandals etc. That would leave Nirvana with out any reason d�etre and legacy... And now as the decandent rock n' roll is slowly returning Nirvana won�t be there to stop them... thank God!
Too drunk to play isn't a strike against rock bands. Real rock bands aren't afraid to miss a show partying. Furthermore, radio pop rock right now is worse than it has ever been. Linkin Park? Good Charlotte? I'll take Nirvana hands down.

However, if you look good and hard, there is good rock out there. There are so many good indie rock bands touring right now it boggles the mind. Indie rock, hardcore and screamo are the only things saving rock from being a festering pile of soulless commercial pop garbage.

In conclusion, listen to Cursive. They're one of the best rock bands ever. I've seen them live three times, and every one they've been piss drunk and absolutely perfect. The most recent time I saw them, The Blood Brothers opened. The Blood Brothers are amazing.

Disclaimer: You won't like The Blood Brothers, I promise.

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Has anyone chimed in with the ever appropriate "Opinions are like arse holes..." yet?
No, because people seem to be having a reasonable discussion about music in here.

There's a big difference between "BAND X SUCKS" "NO BAND Y SUCKS" and "I think Band X is overrated." "Really? Band X did this this and that, which makes them an important part of rock as we know it."

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 10:36 AM

"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit."

Just checked it out... Wow. That is a true rip-off...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
"Stairway To Heaven" - the main guitar line is apparently from "Taurus" by Spirit."

Just checked it out... Wow. That is a true rip-off...
Haha, yup; here's a taste:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...dItemId=709123

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 07:21 PM

It's a complete ripoff, yeah. I got the mp3. Note by note, almost.

I was really surprised. Stuff like the Lemon Song, which is a fav Zep tune of mine...it's a cover! Heh heh heh.....kinda odd.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules