Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBook Password issue

IBook Password issue
Joshnyuu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 12:46 AM

Hello, I have an Ibook 10.4.3 My son recently passed away and I have no idea what his password was. I have tried everything even purchased a universal install cd. Here is the problem, This Ibook needs a password for everything. I mean for everything. I can not install new program without password. I have tried reseting the root password but even with detailed program none of them work. Tried starting with disc and and C control. Any ideas welcome?
Thanks

Duracell
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Joshnyuu
Hello, I have an Ibook 10.4.3 My son recently passed away and I have no idea what his password was. I have tried everything even purchased a universal install cd. Here is the problem, This Ibook needs a password for everything. I mean for everything. I can not install new program without password. I have tried reseting the root password but even with detailed program none of them work. Tried starting with disc and and C control. Any ideas welcome?
Thanks
Sorry for your loss

Hope this will help - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106156

Edit - Slightly more useful - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/mh655.html
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Joshnyuu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info but I have tried both those remedies and they also require a password. Ibook needs a password to reinstall? Lost here...

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 03:49 PM

You should be able to reset the original admin password through the install disc. Did you read the item on the first link from Duracell about resetting the original password? It starts about halfway down the page. Also note that once you reset the password, you will lose access to the account's keychain, so any associated passwords in the keychain (for websites, email, etc.) will be lost.

Joshnyuu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 05:20 PM

Dreamryche,
Thanks for writing. I have in fact gone to that sight and when I get to the part after hitting the lock button I do not get a change password screen but rather a screen asking for old password even after I highlight old user name. Can't get past Authenticate window? If I go to change password it requires the old password as well.
Josh

Forum Links
Forum Rules