Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > no network when external monitor is plugged in. why?

no network when external monitor is plugged in. why?
NeverTriedApple
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2008, 06:43 AM

hi guys,

as soon as i connect external display to macbook it loses connection to airport extreme.

i tried both mirror and span modes - same result.

macbook immediately regains the connection when i pull the mini dvi adapter out.

tried googling and searching but no luck.

macbook dual core duo 2.0 running leopard. all updates.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 09:38 AM

That's unlike any problem I have ever come across. Quite strange. Check Apple's support forums yet?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mike868y
Mar 24, 2008, 10:12 AM

I'd say bring it in. maybe something is damaged in the ports that is causing a short that affects the wifi card? idk just a thought

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 10:48 AM

I agree, Mike. However, it's possible that it could be a strange software problem.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2008, 06:50 AM

seems like the problem is not unique. i found a thread in apple discussions about same exact issue affecting MB Air: Apple - Support - Discussions - No Wireless Internet with External .... as possible reason some1 named poor shielding of Wifi Comm Board and DVI connector. since i had my iphone replaced twice already i tend to agree with that.

i called applecare and booked an appointment with genius bar in the nearest apple store. when we hooked apple monitor to my MB white everything was fine. the guy was able to surf the web without any problems or even delays. he offered either to bring my 19" Iiyama TFT the next day to diagnose entire setup and, if found faulty, have the MB repaired by them within 7-10 working days or ring up my business manager (i bought laptop from retailer) and get it replaced/refunded. since 13" screen happened to be not something i was happy with, i decided to go second route and will be upgrading to 15.4-17" MBP. needless to say that first thing i'll do will be testing this thing with my monitor.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2008, 01:01 PM

How far away are you from the router when you plug in the external monitor? Electrical interference from your monitor might be the cause of the drop in wifi connection.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
How far away are you from the router when you plug in the external monitor? Electrical interference from your monitor might be the cause of the drop in wifi connection.
This seems rather unlikely unless you're extremely far away from the router - boarding on 0% reception, no?
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 11:48 PM

Weird. I don't have this happen for me and I'm doing the same thing right now. I have a 20" ACD, what kind of display do you have? Mine's the same MacBook C2D with 2GHz and an Apple branded Mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

NeverTriedApple  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2008, 03:49 AM

the base station was a meter above the macbook on the shelf. thinkpad connected to the same wireless network was having the internet and access to emails so no frequency overlap or anything like that. purely dvi/wifi thing.

the monitor i have is 19" Iiyama and it performed very well over the last two years.

anyway, i ended up with 17" MBP yesterday and apart from being much better built than MB it works fine with the monitor. go figure.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2008, 11:06 AM

I am having this exact same problem with my days old MBA and my Dell 2407

What is the solution?

Forum Links
Forum Rules