Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB: Low Battery Warning shows up at 95%, can this be reset/fixed?

12" PB: Low Battery Warning shows up at 95%, can this be reset/fixed?
Keda
Senior User
Aug 8, 2008, 07:48 AM

Over the past few months, I've been noticing that the low battery warning is popping up sooner than it had been. At one point, I could run down to about 30% before getting the message. Now, this is popping up within a few minutes of running on battery power. Needless to say, its a bit annoying.

Besides the warning, the machine continues to operate, until the battery percentage indicator turns red (i.e. normally). Is there a way change the settings on the message? Maybe reduce the sensitivity?

BTW, this is a replacement battery from OWC. It has worked well, and holds a charge as expected. Any thoughts?

TIA

Dork.
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2008, 07:57 AM

Weird. Have you tried resetting the power manager?

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Aug 8, 2008, 08:08 AM

No, but it looks easy enough. I'll give it a try.

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2008, 09:13 AM

I was away from my laptop for a few days, but just tried the PM reset this morning. Unfortunately, the 'You are now running on reserve power' message is still popping up. I am currently at 68% on battery power, and have seen several messages. First appearing at about 9x%.

Are the any software files (configs, plists) that control the sensitivity of this? I was thinking that maybe one of these was corrupted (if it exists ).

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2008, 11:56 AM

Does the battery still perform properly? I would have thought it was popping up because the battery cells are on their last legs and the battery circuitry thinks it's going to die.

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2008, 01:05 PM

Hey, Keda. I don't have a Mac yet but I love them and I'm getting one soon. I think that you might be able to change when the notification comes from system preferences. Open system preferences and see if there's anything about your battery or notifications or something...

NSUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 05:18 PM

Hi Keda,

Although I doubt it will provide a solution, there are a few freeware and shareware battery health monitors for the Mac that might at least offer some clues about what's going on. A quick search on VersionTracker should yield some options, but I've never tried any of them personally, so I'm afraid I can't offer any specific recommendations, unfortunately.

If you're still getting normal performance from your battery, perhaps the OWC device is simply supplying data that's slightly different from Apple's OEM batteries, and confusing the power monitor.

Hope this is of some help.
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM
PowerBook G4, 1GHz, 1GB RAM

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2008, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The battery seems to be functioning normally. The Mac is a little over 5years old and the battery about 1.5yrs. Maybe its just senility.

This isn't controlled in prefs, but I'll look around for an app to help diagnose the problem. I've emailed OWC, and will post an solutions they provide.

Forum Links
Forum Rules