Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dilemma: max out current ibook, or sell for a 12"

Dilemma: max out current ibook, or sell for a 12"
Thread Tools
martimaxin
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 08:03 PM
 
Lemme just state what I have for starters:

14" ibook G3 900mhz Stock

256 ram
40gig

$500 to spend.

Should I try selling what I have, assuming I get close to 1k for it and trade up to a 12" ibook with extra ram, or should I just max out my current computer?


I'm transferring in the Fall to a university that is completely wireless, this meaning, I want something very portable and possibly airport extreme capable.

Although what I have is very capable of what I do, the appeal of a 12" ibook with airport extreme is great.

Should I just up the ram on my current model and get an airport card, or sell it for the 12"?

One last question. I know the powerbooks have monitor mirroring, does the ibook? Could I hook up my 17" monitor when I'm at home and use them both?

--Thanks!
     
ChasingApple
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 08:12 PM
 
Well I dont know if your going to get $1000 for it, I know I would not pay that knowing I can get a new one for very close to that. If you feel its slow and not able to do what you need it to do then sell it, otherwise take some money, wait a month or so when ram prices fall, and add memory

Cheers.
iMac G4 / Macbook
     
martimaxin  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 09:00 PM
 
Well, it's the number that I've been getting from a few boards. I'll say it's a little wistful though. I agree with the waiting. Things only get cheaper.
     
rixter55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
 
I don't think you'll see a big speed boost by moving to a 1Ghz 12" G4 over your current machine. For your money, I think maxing out your RAM, and putting an Airport card in your G3 is the better deal.

Of course, that all depends on how important the smaller screen and the "Extreme" Airport card are to you. I'd wait until you see a more significant upgrade before laying down the cash for a new computer.

I think you over-estimated the market value of your current machine, though I believe it's worth every penny of that $1,000 you're hoping for. You've got a great machine that you can make even better pretty cheaply. A shiny new G4 wouldn't feel that much zippier to you, I fear.
20" iMac G5 2GB RAM, 933Mhz 14" iBook G4 640MB RAM.
     
fastback
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 10:42 PM
 
Sell it and buy the 12" it will save you in the long-term.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,