Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > RTCW: Enemy Territory For Mac Released

RTCW: Enemy Territory For Mac Released
Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 02:36 PM

Some good news for us RTCW players. It's been about 6 to 8 months sinnce I played RTCW. I guess I'll have to try this out.

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=11030
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

dajk
Mar 22, 2005, 02:50 PM

YES

FINALLY

O M G

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 08:58 PM

feels really laggy on my poor G4. It seems to be way more demanding than RTCW.... Too bad.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 01:34 AM

CURSE YOU CAMPUS FIREWALL!

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 03:36 PM

Ok this does NOT cut it on a mac mini 512MB. Set /com_hunkmegs 384 doesn't help either. Even on 640x480 lowest possible settings. It's the CPU. I imagine one needs a dual G4 or a 1.6GHZ G5 at minimum for it to be playable.

Now this wasn't surprising to me...what is shocking is the aspyr game agent says RTCW "Will Run Well" on a mac mini. Huh, how in the world can that be? I use to play RTCW and the engine is pretty much the same. Did RTCW port get more optimization somehow than the ET port did?

I have a mirror of mac version of et on my site here http://mrbass.org/enemyterritory

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 03:43 PM

This is great! I've been waiting for this to happen forever.

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2005, 04:48 PM

this has to be the slowest game I've ever played in my life

PB12 1.33 GHz / 768 RAM -> Barely playable @ 640/min settings.

Way to go
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:

Way to go
While the game may be slow, I find it hard to complain when it's free.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
While the game may be slow, I find it hard to complain when it's free.
I guess if someone gave you a free turd to eat, you'd eat it then? Don't complain, its free.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I guess if someone gave you a free turd to eat, you'd eat it then? Don't complain, its free.

No, I wouldn't. That's the whole point. If it's free and if it sucks, delete it and be done with it. Don't use it. Be thankful that the game was released at all on OS X. Don't complain that it doesn't work on your particular system.

I don't make a post on these boards for every piece of freeware I try out that is horrible. I keep my mouth shut out of respect for the author who is releasing something they wrote for free when they could just as easily have tried to make a few bucks off of it.

Now if you pay for a game that gives you recommended machine specs and is slow on that machine, please, bitch up a storm. That is unacceptable. But to expect people to optimize code for your machine out of the goodness of their hearts is a little much.

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Mar 28, 2005, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by mrbass:
Ok this does NOT cut it on a mac mini 512MB. Set /com_hunkmegs 384 doesn't help either.
com_hunkmegs doesn't help because the game doesn't use anywhere near 384 megs of RAM.

Even on 640x480 lowest possible settings. It's the CPU. I imagine one needs a dual G4 or a 1.6GHZ G5 at minimum for it to be playable.
Or a better video card. Seriously, you can tweak the settings to run better on the low-end Radeons - search around the various ET forums for more details.

Now this wasn't surprising to me...what is shocking is the aspyr game agent says RTCW "Will Run Well" on a mac mini. Huh, how in the world can that be? I use to play RTCW and the engine is pretty much the same.
The engine is not exactly the same, and the maps are much more resource-intensive than plain RtCW. In particular, ET features new foliage handling which really causes the low-end Radeons to chug. The 9600/9800 Radeons and GeForce 3Ti/4Ti perform much better in ET than the Radeon 8500/9200 cards.
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2005, 10:53 PM

Alright that's good to know. I didn't get a mac mini to game anyway but if I do get a better mac in the future I'll definitely be playing Enemy Territory. Thanks a huge bunch for the ET mac port Brad much appreciated by the ET community. I think I'll buy RTCW just for the heck of it to see how it runs on a Mac mini.

I'll see on the ET forums for tweaking on lower radeons but hmmm. Well it's like I was getting 20fps on windows with a geforce 2 card on a P 2.4GHz. So then with geforce ti4400 I get around 55fps. I put that geforce ti4400 in a P450Mhz and lo and behold it's 20fps. Basically the CPU is really intensive for Enemy Territory.

So what I found out when playing ET on mac mini is CPU is always at 100% (menumeters). And it probably averages around 15 or 20fps. But a lot of times I'll get the old ping 999 because my mac mini's CPU is trying to catch up and it lags the server and others complain.

Regardless I was just stating that mac mini isn't really suited for ET and giving a heads up to others that's all. No complaints at all. Excellent port and now I understand why RTCW may very well run on a mac mini. Thanks for the explanation.

Did anyone ever release the "minimum recommend Mac specs" for Enemy Territory? I never saw it mentioned in any of the press releases, changelogs?

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Turias:

No, I wouldn't. That's the whole point. If it's free and if it sucks, delete it and be done with it. Don't use it. Be thankful that the game was released at all on OS X. Don't complain that it doesn't work on your particular system.

I don't make a post on these boards for every piece of freeware I try out that is horrible. I keep my mouth shut out of respect for the author who is releasing something they wrote for free when they could just as easily have tried to make a few bucks off of it.

Now if you pay for a game that gives you recommended machine specs and is slow on that machine, please, bitch up a storm. That is unacceptable. But to expect people to optimize code for your machine out of the goodness of their hearts is a little much.
I have a hard time believing he ported it for free. A hard time.

Yes I'm frustrated that it does not run on a high end less than 1 yr old machine. It's my right.
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

dajk
Mar 29, 2005, 11:51 AM

It runs great on my 1,25GHz iMac G4 Summer 2004 17" flatpanel

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Mar 29, 2005, 12:05 PM

I have a hard time believing he ported it for free. A hard time.
How do you explain my doing MacMAME for free for over 7 years? What about the port I did of Heretic? Is there some kind of underground cabal that is feeding me money to do these things?
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Mar 29, 2005, 12:12 PM

Did anyone ever release the "minimum recommend Mac specs" for Enemy Territory? I never saw it mentioned in any of the press releases, changelogs?
No, I've never seen any for the Mac version either. If I were to make some, I'd suggest the following as minimum:

600 MHz G4 or better
256 MB of RAM
MacOS X 10.3.0 or higher
Radeon or GeForce 2MX or better

And as recommended:

800 MHz G4 or better
512 MB of RAM
MacOS X 10.3.4 or higher
Radeon 9600 or GeForce 3Ti/4Ti or better
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 12:17 PM

Dimethyltrypt, it sucks that it doesn't run well on your laptop. However, I have to applaud the company for even electing to port it in the first place. It was no fun to hear that they weren't even considering a Mac release. I wanted it so bad I was willing to pay for it!

If you are chapped that a free expansion pack doesn't play well, you'll do well to stay away from World of Warcraft on your machine.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 01:01 PM

RTCW will run great on a Mac Mini, I ran it on a Power Mac Dual G4 800 and it ran great except where there was alot of action.

RTCW:ET seems to require a bit more power and some of the servers seem terribly laggy. If you get bad lag, you may want to try another server or another server with another map.

It took me awhile to get used to the new Limbo interface as it is completely different from the old Limbo interface. There also seem to be different weapons.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
RTCW will run great on a Mac Mini, I ran it on a Power Mac Dual G4 800 and it ran great except where there was alot of action.

RTCW:ET seems to require a bit more power and some of the servers seem terribly laggy. If you get bad lag, you may want to try another server or another server with another map.

It took me awhile to get used to the new Limbo interface as it is completely different from the old Limbo interface. There also seem to be different weapons.
RTCW ran perfectly on my iMac G4 1.25GHz. My brother runs it at low settings on his B&W G3 400MHz with 16MB video. That is one of my favorite games of all time. I think I will have to install it again

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 29, 2005, 01:22 PM

Finally! Waited months for that particular game.
Runs fine on my PB17 Rev. A.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Brad Oliver:
No, I've never seen any for the Mac version either. If I were to make some, I'd suggest the following as minimum:

600 MHz G4 or better
256 MB of RAM
MacOS X 10.3.0 or higher
Radeon or GeForce 2MX or better

And as recommended:

800 MHz G4 or better
512 MB of RAM
MacOS X 10.3.4 or higher
Radeon 9600 or GeForce 3Ti/4Ti or better
sweet ....I'm gonna try it again...this time not playing on 32+ player pubs. Maybe 20 player or something along those lines.

Yes he did port it for free in his spare time (read his blog). He did it admist trying to find a home in the red hot house market of Phoenix. Maybe he snuck a couple hours here and there in at work at Aspyr but no one will say either way. Regardless it gives good publicity to Aspyr for the many Mac ports and possible sells a few RTCW games although RTCW isn't nearly as popular as Enemy Territory nowadays.

So once again thanks to Brad for the port (tidbit from official news release)
"This news marks the game's Macintosh debut, thanks to the efforts of Aspyr Media Inc.'s own Brad Oliver."

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 05:57 PM

Brad is a god.
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 11:30 AM

Way to go
Odd; my 12" with the same specs runs it very well at 1024/medium. That's with Safari, Mail, iTunes and Konfabulator in the background too.

Great port, I've been waiting for this for so long!
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

mrbass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 07:16 PM

can you guys with 1.3GHz and below G4 post what kind of average frames per second your getting.

hit ~ to drop to console in the game
/cg_drawfps 1

and report back

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 31, 2005, 01:05 AM

can you guys with 1.3GHz and below G4 post what kind of average frames per second your getting.

hit ~ to drop to console in the game
/cg_drawfps 1

and report back
20fps on a PB17 Rev A. with 1 GB RAM.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 09:58 AM

Is RtCW: ET a multiplayer online-only game, or is there a single player/deathmatch kind of map to it also??


cszar2001
Photo Architect
Mar 31, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Is RtCW: ET a multiplayer online-only game, or is there a single player/deathmatch kind of map to it also??
It`s multiplayer online only.

Me on Flickr.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 05:28 PM

HOLY CRAP!

They ALWAYS always said this would NEVER be ported.

I now have hope for HL2

-Owl

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
HOLY CRAP!

They ALWAYS always said this would NEVER be ported.

I now have hope for HL2

-Owl
I think we already froze hell over by getting ET...

I don't think you can freeze hell twice.

Plus, getting HL2 would mean we would first have to get the Havoc Physics engine, so that'd be two near-impossibles that'd have to happen at the same time... not too likely. Plus, both pieces of software would cost the porting company about a million bucks a piece.... in other words, there is no way the Mac porter could make money off HL2 for the Mac.

But, hey, keep your hopes up!
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2005, 11:47 AM

Runs like crap on my 1.4 G4 with a Radeon 9700 Pro, and 1gb ram.

ihatesuvs68
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 01:34 PM

Badass. Free? SWEET. I'll report in later to let you know how it runs.

ihatesuvs68
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 02:50 PM

Runs decent... I have a dual 1.33 g4 with 1.5 gigs of ram and a shitty geforce 4mx video card. Oh well. I can't see myself playing this much, it's too complicated. Medic this, engineer that, bla bla bla blah.

- Rob

Turias
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by ihatesuvs68:
Runs decent... I have a dual 1.33 g4 with 1.5 gigs of ram and a shitty geforce 4mx video card. Oh well. I can't see myself playing this much, it's too complicated. Medic this, engineer that, bla bla bla blah.

- Rob
Oh, but it's so much fun once you get going. Here's a quick intro to the various classes:

Medic: Heals/revives people
Soldier: Wields big guns
Field Ops: Drops ammo, calls in air strikes
Engineer: Fixes stuff and blows other stuff up. Drops land mines.
Covert Ops: Detects land mines for the team. Can disguise himself as an enemy unit.

Sure, it's more complicated that UT, but it's an amazing team game. You really need to work together with everyone on your side, since without a medic and a field ops close by, you're going to die quick.

Oh, and the game runs great on my dual 2.5 G5.

ihatesuvs68
Baninated
Apr 4, 2005, 05:20 PM

I think the key to this game is the graphics card. :| Have a geforce4mx? It'll work. Not well. But it'll run. Have an imac mini? Forget it. iMac? It'll run, but again, not very well. I'd suspect you'd need a geforce 4 ti or up to play it well. I'm going to waste some more time on it.

tiga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 10:44 AM

Ok, this is my first post . I have Mac mini 1.2 with 1 Gb ram. Downloaded the Enemy Territory the first day it was released for macintosh. I don't know why people complain about ET performance on Mini... Surely it doesn't boost frames like G5 tower, but... I get very playable 20-40 fps at 1024x768 res. and medium textures. Here are some screenshots I have made several minutes ago (you can see FPS counter on the right side): http://tinyurl.com/5qnpx Most of the time everything is quite smooth, even with 15 folks in the game. Inside some closed structures Mini perform up to 60-80 fps, open space - 25-40, at some specific places where you see textures from inside a room AND distant trees, mountains or grass through windows/doors - it can drop to 14 fps, but those are 2-3 places on whole map. Just try to play with config setings and move your mini into action

Regards
Krzysiek

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by tiga:
Ok, this is my first post . I have Mac mini 1.2 with 1 Gb ram. Downloaded the Enemy Territory the first day it was released for macintosh. I don't know why people complain about ET performance on Mini... Surely it doesn't boost frames like G5 tower, but... I get very playable 20-40 fps at 1024x768 res. and medium textures. Here are some screenshots I have made several minutes ago (you can see FPS counter on the right side): http://tinyurl.com/5qnpx Most of the time everything is quite smooth, even with 15 folks in the game. Inside some closed structures Mini perform up to 60-80 fps, open space - 25-40, at some specific places where you see textures from inside a room AND distant trees, mountains or grass through windows/doors - it can drop to 14 fps, but those are 2-3 places on whole map. Just try to play with config setings and move your mini into action

Regards
Krzysiek
This game is totally sweet. Especially on my G5 1.8 128MG Radeon 9600.
I love how you can build up your experience and get higher in rank.. The level design is abfab too. I can't believe this is free... Just waiting for a bill

Almost forgot to mention... If you see SGT: Smoke, thats me! Let me know you saw me in the Macnn forums!

R

d.fine
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 10:40 AM

I downloaded it but it wouldnt mount, gave me an error, I'll try again , sounds good

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules