Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do use your Powerbook for?

What do use your Powerbook for? (Page 2)
jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 08:21 PM

Street pharmacist that uses os x to organize and maintain daily orders. I went with os x because its secure out the box and a bitch for the feds to catch me. jk Wish i had a powerbook
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Scooterboy
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 11:40 AM

My 17" 1.5 is my only computer.
I run my small biz on it, doing boring QuickBooks stuff.
I manage WiFi networks with it and AE base stations - easy as pi
I'm currently scanning all the old family photos and organizing them.
I store much of my music on it and use it for watching DVD's.
All the internet stuff - Skype, chats, web, email
and soon, when I buy an Mbox2, I'll use it for recording demos.
Sometimes the odd game gets played.

All really basic stuff, compared to the power users here. But I love the screen and the machine is still very portable.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

robisconfusedd
Nov 4, 2005, 12:04 PM

hardcore video editing, like final cut pro... for football seasons at my school yeehaw

and then of course when im not doing that i use it for AIM, and tons and tons of music (20+GB) and of course internet, using firefox. Occasionally ill be asked to design a website so i do use dreamweaver too along with flash mx and java creation programs(in need of finding a good one)
BimmerForums - the forum for the ultimate driving machine.

::12" of pure joy::
1Ghz G4, 1.25GB ram

 Fender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 03:47 PM

What don't I use it for? Digital lifestyle, indeed.

*24 inch iMac C2D 2.18 GHz, 3 GB*
*13 inch MacBook CD 1.83 GHz, 2 GB*

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2005, 04:20 PM

to change my answer a little.

now that i have sold my 1.25 15" and my 1.8 g5 17" iMac, and, today, bought a 1.67 17" powerbook, i will be using it for everything i do.

digital photos, a little video, web design, and then all the other music and internetting.

 Fender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
to change my answer a little.

now that i have sold my 1.25 15" and my 1.8 g5 17" iMac, and, today, bought a 1.67 17" powerbook, i will be using it for everything i do.
Any issues with the display so far?

*24 inch iMac C2D 2.18 GHz, 3 GB*
*13 inch MacBook CD 1.83 GHz, 2 GB*

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
Street pharmacist that uses os x to organize and maintain daily orders. I went with os x because its secure out the box and a bitch for the feds to catch me. jk Wish i had a powerbook

PowerMatt
Senior User
Nov 4, 2005, 06:41 PM

I am a High School Social Studies teacher. So I use my AlPB1.25 for:

Presentations (Keynote, PowerPoint, DVD, QuickTime)
Pages/Word
Mail
Excel
Safari, Firefox
iTunes
iChat
iCal
GarageBand
Quicken
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2005, 07:04 PM

I use it to look at pretty pictures.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 5, 2005, 07:32 AM

I'm using my 12" 1.5Ghz for writing my master thesis and everyday usage - it's my main machine. My everyday activities include email, web, music and photos.
For my masters thesis I use X11 to run some analyze-programs, OmniGraffle for illustrations, OmniOutliner/iCal for my time-schedule, Word and terminal for backing up using CVS. Great combination

I love this little machine!

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2005, 08:24 AM

I use my PowerBook for "everything", which includes:
* E-mail (Mail).
* Surf the WWW (Camino).
* Instant messaging (Adium).
* Listen to music (iTunes).
* View movies (VLC).
* Program and compile (Xcode, SubEthaEdit and GCC).
* Code HTML and CSS (SubEthaEdit).
* Edit images (Seashore).

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2005, 06:57 PM

I use my pbook for recording and making music with Cubase l.e. and the presonus firebox at home as well digital performer and the motu 828 at the studio, and a laundry list of vsts, plug-ins, soft synts, and drum machines. It works like a charm. I also use it for every day wonders such as checking the interwebs and the emails. I just started using entourage, i know a lot of people like Mail but i just wanted to give this a try...

The pmac i use for graphic design. i freelance, when not on the road, for a design house. Most people there use macs for photoshop, illustrator, and after effects but all the 3d and motion people use windows based machines.

i just built a windows box last weekend to play games and try some other neato experiments (say it in your best nerd voice) with 3dmax and ripping vinyl to c.d. My girlfriend needs it for school work since some of her classes have web based lessons that only use i.e.. It breaks my heart that neither safari nor firefox are supported...

That is what i use all 3 machines for... i probably don't use any of them to their fullest potential but i am trying... and trying.. i mean knowing is half the battle, cobra commander.

pandas
( Last edited by sadpandas; Nov 5, 2005 at 07:14 PM. )
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2005, 09:28 PM

Since I don't have a TV (don't want to pay for cable and where I live the local channels add up to like 2-3 stations) so everything from work to entertainment is done on my Powerbook. I write papers/reports (Word or Pages), do Keynote and PowerPoint presentations, research (Safari) and save tons (DEVONthink Pro, Apple Preview) of PDF, JPEG, and Word files relating or having to do with classroom/behavior management. Since there is no TV, I also watch lots of movies on my Powerbook. And the thing is that I've been doing all these things from almost 2 years now!

Applications I use most include:
1. Safari - surf the web and collect data, email, etc.
2. Dashboard - especially the FlipClock widget to check times in Dallas, Las Vegas, and Saipan
3. Apple's Dictionary - since I do write so much, I want to make sure I have quick access to a dictionary.
4. CheckBook - to keep track of my finances.
5. Safe Place - I store my passwords, credit card numbers, software registration numbers, etc. here.
6. Microsoft Word and Apple Pages
7. Microsoft PowerPoint and Apple Keynote
8. Toast Titanium - to burn files, movies, do backups, etc.
9. DEVONthink Pro - Keep documents, notes, PDFs, e-mail, images and bookmarks in a simple to use work environment.
10. iPhoto - because I love taking and collecting pictures.

natalie klein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jmgriff
I'm a PhD student (Neuroscience) ... my 12" PB is my main computer. It gets used for web, email, office, data analysis (R, Matlab, Octave), figure preparation (Omnigraffle, Illustrator, Photoshop), and video editing and DVD authoring (Final Cut Studio). The ability to run X11 and aqua apps side by side is very nice. The powerbook isn't the fastest machine, but thanks to OS X it is very stable and multitasks well. I can run a lot of applications simultaneously without significant slow down and that boosts my productivity quite a bit.

I'm just curious, how do you run Matlab on your mac? Do you have to use VirtualPC?

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by natalie klein
I'm just curious, how do you run Matlab on your mac? Do you have to use VirtualPC?
MatLab is available for Mac OS X! And a few other OS's as well. I can't wait till I get to take a course on MatLab! It will be Engineering fantastic
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 04:57 PM

This Was The Second Of A Double Post... Sorry About That Everyone
( Last edited by irockdabari; Nov 6, 2005 at 05:00 PM. Reason: this was the second post of a double post)
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

taffy
Nov 9, 2005, 09:20 PM

business student.. Marketing in particular

* Lots of presentations, I use Keynote as much as I can. I can't stand PowerPoint (although, Mac PowerPoint seems to be -much- better than PC counterpart
* General use - surfing, email etc. wireless at campus and hotspots
* Final Scratch - NI Traktor - little dj'ing as a hobby on the side
* Photoshop etc, stuff I have to do on the go, when i don't have access to my g5 at home

I'm getting by with 512mb of ram, but considering upgrade. In a sea of mediocre PC laptops at school, especially in business, it's a nice change

Pr0c32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 02:05 AM

I have a 12" 1.33GHz G4 with 768MB DDR SDRAM and I use it as the main computer. As a high school senior, I use it for word processing, instant messaging, surfing the internet, itunes, gaming (starcraft, mainly) and some very light graphic design here and there.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2005, 12:55 PM

I'm currently working on 2 BS degrees: Biological Engineering and Biochemistry/Molecular Biology. I use my powerbook for:

-All the obvious stuff (email, web browsing, chatting, etc...)
-Photoshop
-Web page creation (dreamweaver, fireworks, flash, freehand)
-Music (have about 20 gigs on this thing)
-The occasional DVD (when I don't want to watch it on one of the TV's we have in the appartment)
-MatLab and Mathematica for my engineering work
-ChemDraw
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

enomehjashik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 01:36 PM

i use my powwerbook when i travel and at the office. OSX cant be beat when youre on the go or in a rush.

i also use it occasionally for school when i have group projects and we need a computer.

and every other time it just sits on its icurve. and rests.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 02:24 PM

Alu 1.25 15" here.

I use it for location recording (just recorded a show Friday using my new MOTU Traveler, very easy & great results)
I take it on caving trips, not into caves, but for showing pics at the cabin, or around the campfire. It's handy on vacation for dumping the digital camera when the card fills up, & being able to view/edit while on the road.
It's nice to put my feet up and surf from the couch.
I haul it to work most days, because lately I've been keeping a big, long to-do list in Omni Outliner, and it's handy for hauling home work when necessary. (the auto-log-in to 802.11g networks is awesome)
Occasionally haul it to client meetings & use it to give presentations of our work.

It'd be nice if it were one of the newer 1.67s because I could track more simultaneously in Logic, but it's doing me quite well, for now.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules