Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Blade Runner: The Final Cut
Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2007, 03:37 AM

For the Blade Runner fans on this board:
There is a trailer on Yahoo

nexus5.

suganutz2
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2007, 05:20 AM

There's never a final cut, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2007, 08:54 AM

I'll get it for the extras!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2007, 09:59 AM

I'm definitely getting the HD DVD.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2007, 10:51 AM

Doesn't it come with FIVE cuts of the movie?
That is a bit ridiculous to me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Doesn't it come with FIVE cuts of the movie?
That is a bit ridiculous to me.
How much of the history of this film do you know?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I know of about 3 of 5 said cuts.
Either way this smells like george lucas to me except with more indecisiveness.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2007, 04:14 PM

I love that movie but I'd like to know a little more of the history! Do tell! My DVD say's the Director's Cut / The original cut of the futuristic adventure, but I read that RidleyScott didn't approve of it at all and he was the director. Both the widescreen and the fullscreen sides look like total crap and I can't wait to get the Blu-ray of it. Are all 5 versions going to be HD? What are the differences between them???

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2007, 04:27 PM

Original USA Theatrical
International Theatrical
Original Rough Cut that was altered by studio to become the theatrical
90s "Directors Cut"
New Final Cut

I think all 5 cuts are in HD, but the final cut looks the best and has better sound.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Nexus5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 05:32 PM

The final cut looks much better, even in SD. The restoration work they did is impressive. And there are more then 4 hours of documentary material.

nexus5.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 06:43 PM

I'm a little disappointed they aren't re-releasing it in theaters first. Like Star Wars, it's one movie I love yet never had the chance to see it when it came out.

Lava Lamp Freak
Dec 19, 2007, 06:47 PM

I've never seen it before so I decided I'd give it a viewing when I saw the ad for the newest release. Unfortunately Netflix says "Very Long Wait."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm a little disappointed they aren't re-releasing it in theaters first. Like Star Wars, it's one movie I love yet never had the chance to see it when it came out.
Blade Runner: The Final Cut was playing in the theatre here in Toronto last month. I didn't go see it though since I ordered the HD DVD. My HD DVD shipped on Monday, and I should get it after Xmas sometime (since I chose standard shipping).

It's a steal at US$27.95, considering you get 5 cuts of the movie plus a zillion extras.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 07:23 PM

Really?

I heard it was coming to theaters, then I heard it wasn't. I probably would have had to drive fairly far to see it anyways.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2007, 07:27 PM

Really?

I heard it was coming to theaters, then I heard it wasn't. I probably would have had to drive fairly far to see it anyways.
It was only one theatre in Toronto. It was also in one theatre in a couple of large US cities as well I believe. ie. Probably less than 10 theatres across North America. Maybe even less than 5.

EDIT:

All I can find is that it was playing in Toronto, Los Angeles, and New York. I don't see any mention of any other cities.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2007, 07:33 PM

At best it would have been a 4 hour drive....no big loss.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
All I can find is that it was playing in Toronto, Los Angeles, and New York. I don't see any mention of any other cities.
I wonder why there was such a tiny little theatre release? Just so they could say it was in theatres for some reason and not just a repackaged disk package? I found it at BestBuy in my backwater Canadian town today and can't wait to open my PS3 which is under the tree until next week.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2007, 11:28 PM

Got it in yesterday evening, but I'll have to wait for the weekend to start checking it out. Which I am very much anticipating. Phillip K. Dick's writing was often weird in the extreme (the first of his books that I read was called "Ubik", which I will not try to describe except that it makes all sorts of other Dick books seem very clear and lucid), but "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" was weird in a particular sort of way. The movie "Blade Runner" is not even close to the book in a lot of ways, but with Dick actually writing the film, it's pretty clear that this "reimagining" was well thought out. The movie seems to have captured both the noir and the fantastic of the original story.

With all that said, the released film kicked @$$ most seriously. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Scott's "final cut" plays.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Helmling
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2007, 11:31 PM

Is there new footage in the "final" cut or what? How does it differ from the previous "director's" cut?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 12:08 AM

I ordered it on Blu-ray and it should arrive by Friday, for me it's the most anticipated release of the year, easily. Will probably have a swarm of friends over to see it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
With all that said, the released film kicked @$$ most seriously. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Scott's "final cut" plays.
No doubt. It was the 1st movie I watched at a theater, and I still believe that Roy's death scene changed me on some level.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The movie "Blade Runner" is not even close to the book in a lot of ways, but with Dick actually writing the film, it's pretty clear that this "reimagining" was well thought out. The movie seems to have captured both the noir and the fantastic of the original story.
Huh? Dick didn't write the "Blade Runner" screenplay, although he was reportedly optimistic about the film after reading David Peoples' rewrite of Hampton Fancher's original screenplay and watching a few rough cuts of special effects sequences (he died in 1982, the year of its release).

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

flabasha
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2007, 03:40 AM

I will say there's a little CGI work, but it's very subtle, and cool. Blink and you might not SEE it (hint hint).
I saw it in a theater in LA, digital projection, and it looked like it was shot yesterday. Awesome. Only change I didn't like (no spoiler really), is losing the end credits footage of flying over the green hills set to Vangelis' score. I don't care if it was spare footage from the opening of The Shining, I thought it worked thematically with the end of the movie. Now it's just credits over black.

Otherwise, a perfect 10. No 'Han shoots first' here.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 12:44 PM

Warner screwed up some copies of the Blu-ray Blade Runner release.

'Blade Runner' Blu-ray Suffers Manufacturing Glitch

"Unfortunately, some Blu-ray fans popping in the set's fifth disc (which is meant to contain the workprint) are instead finding a mislabeled duplicate of the first disc, containing the film's final cut."

So far there are no reports of any problems with the HD DVD version.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 01:06 PM

Warner screwed up some copies of the Blu-ray Blade Runner release.[/I]"
What kind of monkeys exactly are running these manufacturing plants? I mean they are putting HD-DVD's in BR cases and now this?

Talk about quality control.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 01:15 PM

....some Blu-ray fans popping in the set's fifth disc (which is meant to contain the workprint) are instead finding a mislabeled duplicate of the first disc, containing the film's final cut.
Sweet! Two copies of the good blu-ray for the price of one! Nice :-]

What kind of monkeys exactly are running these manufacturing plants? I mean they are putting HD-DVD's in BR cases and now this? Talk about quality control.
I don't blame them for confusing all those identical versions of the same movie... it may not even be true.... how could only some of them be affected?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I don't blame them for confusing all those identical versions of the same movie... it may not even be true.... how could only some of them be affected?
Ya I guess monkeys would have a hard time matching a whooping 5 clearly labeled disks up with one another. Such complex mathematics and planing is better suited to rocket scientists.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 01:39 PM

.. are instead finding a mislabeled duplicate of the first disc...
...would have a hard time matching a whooping 5 clearly labeled disks....
ha! you can't even get the story right! (or the word whopping)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2007, 01:50 PM

ha! you can't even get the story right! (or the word whopping)
What difference does it make. All that means is they got monkeys working at the label factory.

But since you like to point things out... you can't even get the shift key right!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 02:09 PM

Perhaps somebody just loaded the wrong batch and just a single run of discs had the wrong label.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 02:44 PM

Damn, I hope my set isn't screwed up (duplicate disc or HD-DVD). Tracking says it's "Out for Delivery" so I should know any time now.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 07:43 PM

Disc 5 is correct and everything else looks fine. I'll probably be checking it out more thoroughly tomorrow evening.
- Thomas Paine

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2007, 08:07 PM

I've seen the final cut in the cinema, twice
Its amazing in the cinema. One of my childhood dreams lived.
we don't have time to stop for gas

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2007, 12:05 PM

Question: I saw Blade Runner at my friend's place about 6 months ago. Lo and behold, when we got to the end, one of the parts that really stuck in my mind – the android talking about seeing space while the sun came out in the background – was replaced with the director's "preferred cut" – that of pouring rain. I was unimpressed.

What's going on? I hate this type of stupidity creeping into movies; directors now-turned-rich-enough-to-do-anything going back and saying "oh, this is how I WANTED it at the time!", or "oh, this is what I REALLY wish I had done". That is stupid. Isn't that the entire point of art – that it's made under the physical constraints of the present, and shaped by those constraints? That's like freakin' Picasso going back when he's old and adding more "cube" to his earlier paintings.

Sorry, but this pisses me off. I want to see the freakin' movie, not 8 different versions of how it could've been or what the director wanted to have. It even incenses me more that the version I saw had a different ending in place of the original ending – as if the movie has now officially be "changed" or something. Arrrgh.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2007, 12:10 PM

I don't consider being chained to the wishes of producers an interesting side of art. Constraints set in an attempt to appeal to LCD are worthless to me.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2007, 12:13 PM

Well, at least he gives you the opportunity to watch whichever version you prefer. I'm not sure what the complaint is here. It's his movie, so he's doing what he wants. He understands that others prefer different versions, so he has provided them all. What more could you want?

At least he isn't pulling a George Lucas. Changing it in very unpopular ways, then telling us that we are stupid fr likeing the original version and withholding it out of spite.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
At least he isn't pulling a George Lucas.
These days, Mr. Lucas is about nothing other than $$$$$$$$$$

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
These days? He has been only about $ for at least the past 10-15 years.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Dec 21, 2007 at 03:13 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2007, 02:24 PM

Yeah, because he wasn't before

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Nexus5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2007, 02:58 PM

"I want more life, father!"

nexus5.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Huh? Dick didn't write the "Blade Runner" screenplay, although he was reportedly optimistic about the film after reading David Peoples' rewrite of Hampton Fancher's original screenplay and watching a few rough cuts of special effects sequences (he died in 1982, the year of its release).
My mistake-I was thinking about something else.

Dick did, however, "work with" both Scott and the studio on the film. From what I gather, he did a lot of "background briefing" for both Scott and the various writers (Peoples and Francher were not the only ones that worked on it, though they get most of the credit), and providing some much-needed "approval" of the project overall. There were a lot of notable folks in the SF community who were worried about what would happen when a big studio did a Dick story, since PKD's work was so very different. With Dick himself saying he was enthusiastic about the story being filmed, they got that important support from the fan community. I know that it was important to me that he liked it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 03:25 PM

Yeah, because he wasn't before
When he made the very first Star Wars I don't think his ONLY motivation was cash do you?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 21, 2007, 07:17 PM

When he made the very first Star Wars I don't think his ONLY motivation was cash do you?
Apparently George was motivated by "telling his story without a studio hacking it to bits." Like they tried to do with American Grafiti which, by the way, made them money by the truck load. And made George money by the bargefull, which is how he managed to make Star Wars the way he wanted it (and could afford it).

Oh, and after that there was this very lucrative thing called a "fan base" that made demands like "more movies" and "tell us more!" and such. Studios love to cash in on that sort of thing, and they're really good at convincing successful auteurs to help them make more money by "telling more of their stories." We are to blame for George coming out with more stuff, and if he has made a huge pile of cash for it, then good-he invented the stuff we asked for anyway.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2007, 02:24 AM

The thing that strikes me the most is how beautiful the transfer is, I'm watching it for the second time right now and it's just stunning. It looks like it was filmed last year. The sound mix is pretty decent too.
- Thomas Paine

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
"I want more life, father!"
I kinda hate to say it, but in this case I think the f-bomb works better here.

Nexus5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2007, 10:58 AM

I kinda hate to say it, but in this case I think the f-bomb works better here.
I heard this before. In the german final cut he says "father". He says "fu****" in the english final cut version?

nexus5.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
I heard this before. In the german final cut he says "father". He says "fu****" in the english final cut version?

nexus5.
In all the previous US versions, it was "fu***r," but in the US Final Cut version its "father."
Not sure which is "right," but not sure it matters. The Final Cut otherwise is fantastic!!

PaperNotes
Dec 25, 2007, 03:17 PM

If Batty doesn't get to say his death poem or drop the cyber punk f-bomb then it is a no show for me. 90's director's cut all the way. I'm not one for all that ****ing political correctness and family values bullshit pissing all over art just because some studio moron with one bollock thinks Blade Runner should appeal to grandma and babies too. Roy Batty's line is a culture classic. Taking it away is like removing Jesus from a The Last Supper because it offends Muslims.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
If Batty doesn't get to say his death poem or drop the cyber punk f-bomb then it is a no show for me. 90's director's cut all the way. I'm not one for all that ****ing political correctness and family values bullshit pissing all over art just because some studio moron with one bollock thinks Blade Runner should appeal to grandma and babies too. Roy Batty's line is a culture classic. Taking it away is like removing Jesus from a The Last Supper because it offends Muslims.
There are very few changes in the Final Cut from the 90's Director's Cut. Mostly they fixed continuity errors, minor dialog tweeks and a much improved picture/sound. They added a few seconds of footage here and there. If you liked the old Director's Cut, you'll love this one. There is nothing taken away from this version - and I'm a huge Blade Runner fan.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2007, 05:19 PM

This edition is a "must buy" just for the picture and sound alone. It's nothing short of stunning for a movie of it's age.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules