Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > y itune hv weird words n cant add display pic in messenger?

y itune hv weird words n cant add display pic in messenger?
doublechestnut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2008, 12:45 PM

hi, im a new user of macbk n im facing serveral problems n hope sb can do me a favour, thxxxxxxxxx

1. when i add chinese songs in itune, there is weird words:

song name: €Qœr¬[
artist name: ÁÂœwµX

wht the problem with it n how can i change it back besides type it myself?

2. i add messenger for mac 7.0.1 but while i wanna "change display pic" using my jpg format pic, it shows
"the selected file could not be imported to use as your display pic, please be sure that the selected pic is a valid picture format"

n when i try to use the preview pic msn provided, there is no response as well...so weird...

oh, i really feel dizzy abt this, plz help........thxxxxxx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2008, 01:05 PM

First order of business, you'll get better and possibly quicker responses if you used proper english/grammar.
"y itune hv weird words n cant add display pic in messenger" makes absolutely no sense.

The problem you are describing appears to be the result of a corrupted or duplicated system font.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 04:01 PM

He's probably not an english speaker as far as I can tell, (requesting help on Chinese fonts and all) so he may not be able to get his point across with proper grammar. At least he tried.

With the problem at hand, I'd say that it's either a corrupted font, or iTunes doesn't do Chinese (It's possible)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
He's probably not an english speaker as far as I can tell, (requesting help on Chinese fonts and all) so he may not be able to get his point across with proper grammar. At least he tried.

With the problem at hand, I'd say that it's either a corrupted font, or iTunes doesn't do Chinese (It's possible)
Nope. He's using txtspeak. The grammatical errors made match up perfectly with the type of omissions one makes when trying to type using a standard phone keypad or when trying to cram as much as possible into 150 characters or less. Spend enough time texting like that and eventually it becomes second nature. Still, that's no excuse for it.

With respect to the problem, it's not a corrupted font issue. iTunes can display foreign characters in tags (chinese or otherwise) just fine, as long as they're encoded as Unicode. Any other encoding, and all bets are off.

Since Unicode is not quite as ubiquitous in Windows, most songs obtained from teh intarwebs (sic) will use different Windows encodings for foreign characters, thus leading to the OP's problem.

It's true of Greek, Russian, Korean, Japanese, etc. as well.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 07:55 AM

In other words:

The ID3 tags in those songs were set with the wrong text encoding. There is no really simple way to convert them (that I know of), but if you RE-enter them in Chinese, they will stay properly encoded (even if you transfer them over to a Windows or Linux machine).

The official Microsoft Messenger for Mac sucks donkey balls. Use Mercury Messenger or aMSN instead.

& rly, u nd 2 fkg do st about the fkg txtspeek. its SOOOOO annoying and this isn't msn. we do grmr & wrds here, like in the days before everybody was sixteen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules