Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > LCD TV - vizio vs. samsung vs. panasonic vs. sony

LCD TV - vizio vs. samsung vs. panasonic vs. sony (Page 2)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The majority of their panels are actually LG Philips, not Samsung. And they're not "surplus" models either - they're the standard panels but Vizio puts fewer things in their TVs to keep the prices down.
Huh. Either way, Vizios look like crap IMO.

MariM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2008, 12:43 PM

I have the Vizio SV420XVT and it has been ideal for my purposes. We had a Samsung before, but started to consider the Vizio when looking at the prices. It really competes with the big names now and I can honestly say that I think my picture quality is better than my sister's Sony and my parent's Panasonic. You will need to play with the settings a bit , as you do with most TVs, but once that is taken care of it is great. The 1080p, 120hz combo also just totally changes your viewing experience if you haven't had it before. You see every little detail. Check out this month's Consumer Reports they rank a bunch of Vizio's high (including their 47", I think). Great value for the technology you get!

jersey
Senior User
Nov 19, 2008, 03:33 PM

I'd go Toshiba Regza 40XF550U.

The panels used in these are Samsung 10-bit panel, 120Hz, X.V / Deep Color. Most Tvs are capable of 16.7 million colors, these, 1.3 billion.

$999.99 at Costco.com.

I own 2.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2008, 03:45 PM

Those Toshiba's are pretty badass. My dad is looking to upgrade his 37" Philips LCD and I'm recommending the Toshiba.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2008, 04:40 PM

Toshiba sucks horribly if you want to hook a computer up to it. Be warned if you want to use it for anything other than watching movies or TV.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jersey
Senior User
Nov 19, 2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Toshiba sucks horribly if you want to hook a computer up to it. Be warned if you want to use it for anything other than watching movies or TV.

Hmmm ..... I've gone DVI to HDMI from a mini and VGA from a PC, both without problems. PS3 no issues there either.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jersey View Post
Hmmm ..... I've gone DVI to HDMI from a mini and VGA from a PC, both without problems. PS3 no issues there either.
These problems may be relegated to the 32" Toshiba, but the problems I had was video taring in the top right corner (a whole 4" block was scanning slower than anything else) and audio/video was horribly out of sync when running video through HDMI and audio through optical.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

finboy
Nov 19, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm a Samsung guy. The Vizio's are cheaper, but they don't have near the quality the Samsungs do. I can even record digital TV in 1080i straight from my Samsung to my computer over Firewire.
Wow, we gotta try that!

We have a DLP Samsung 50" and an LCD 42" and they're both great. We put them through their paces. The LCD speakers are kind of weak (compared to the DLP), so we ended up piping everything through our receiver, but that works out OK. We looked at lots of different brands, went to friends' houses etc. Samsung rocks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Those Toshiba's are pretty badass. My dad is looking to upgrade his 37" Philips LCD and I'm recommending the Toshiba.
I avoid Toshibas like the plague just because of their input problems...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules