Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Time Capsule Backup

Time Capsule Backup
glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2010, 10:01 AM

Can I use a Time Capsule for my MBP over wi-fi to back up the OSX partition with time machine, and the Win7 partition with windows software. It comes formatted in Fat32 correct?

Any other suggestions on backing up over wi-fi to a single HD. Should I just get two external HD's for backups thru USB?

Thanks.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2010, 03:21 PM

I don't believe it's possible to backup to the TC itself via Windows. I'm confused about your third and fourth question. Why would you get 2 externals? Personally, Time Capsule backups can be bothersome and take forever if you change a lot of data often, which is why I use a USB external even though I have a Time Capsule.

glideslope  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2010, 09:52 AM

Won't there be a need for one external HD for the Win 7 partition and one for the OSX partition? I was going by the new MacWorld that says Time Capsule is a good option for backing up both systems to one HD when you need a wi-fi set up?

Thanks
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 10:59 AM

No, you can backup Windows and OS X to the same external hard drive with whatever software you'd like on the Windows side. As far as Time Capsule, that's where I don't think it can. But I'm not sure about this Macworld article you're speaking of, maybe it's possible?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 11:06 AM

I certainly would partition a backup drive if I were trying to use it for both Mac and Windows.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules