Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looks like Steve spayed their kitties

Looks like Steve spayed their kitties (Page 3)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 09:14 AM

Exactly what they needed.
Edit: They killed the $599 option? Oh Apple, you don't stop being Apple, do you?

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 01:02 PM

The Apple of two years ago would have kept the same base price and offered an extra that was too good to pass up for 100 dollars. For example, a TV tuner, or a bluray drive.

This curious pricing scheme looks like intentional devaluing of the Macintosh platform, in order to make way for the iDevices.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2010, 01:15 PM

Or, like most businesses, they just charge what they think they can get away with.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 18, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Or, like most businesses, they just charge what they think they can get away with.
With the mini, that's always been an arguable point. The product seems to exist to satisfy those who want a "headless mac" while the specs and price serve to push people towards the iMac.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
The Apple of two years ago would have kept the same base price and offered an extra that was too good to pass up for 100 dollars. For example, a TV tuner, or a bluray drive.
I love how people keep bringing up TV tuners, as if adding a module that would need to support at least a dozen current standards that are in themselves mostly moving targets and will be obsoleted in three years' time made the slightest bit of sense.

I won't bother with the Blu-Ray suggestion, as it seems pretty clear that's not going to happen and has been discussed to death.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I won't bother with the Blu-Ray suggestion, as it seems pretty clear that's not going to happen and has been discussed to death.
Yeah like MMS on the iPhone. Everybody just use email already!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 08:28 PM

I'd rather use e-Mail than MMS any day.

Unfortunately, the wife is a luddite whose phone doesn't do e-mail.

Does it not strike you, though, that the situation is *slightly* different with optical media?

I don't hear you complaining about the iPad not supporting DVDs. That would be an appropriate equivalent - a standard that's been around for over a decade and is not yet realistically replaced for a large number of users.

C'mon, voo! Roll them eyes for me one more time! You can do it!

(P.S.: which part of "it's been discussed to death" is confusing to you? )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2010, 09:05 PM

I'd rather use e-Mail than MMS any day.

Unfortunately, the wife is a luddite whose phone doesn't do e-mail.

Does it not strike you, though, that the situation is *slightly* different with optical media?

I don't hear you complaining about the iPad not supporting DVDs. That would be an appropriate equivalent - a standard that's been around for over a decade and is not yet realistically replaced for a large number of users.

C'mon, voo! Roll them eyes for me one more time! You can do it!

(P.S.: which part of "it's been discussed to death" is confusing to you? )
It's hardly a question of what you'd rather use. The fact is that there were numerous discussions (which were probably done to death) that concluded that MMS would never be on the iPhone. It was a dead tech or nobody wanted it or reason x.

Yet everyone who said it wasn't coming and who said it wasn't needed was wrong.

This BD discussion is very similar, isn't it?

DVD on the iPad - a supermobile device - isn't in the least comparable to BD optical drives on a desktop. Who are you trying to convince here?

I don't know and it hardly matters. Come on Sphe, blast me with fanboism one more time! You can do it!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
It's hardly a question of what you'd rather use. The fact is that there were numerous discussions (which were probably done to death) that concluded that MMS would never be on the iPhone. It was a dead tech or nobody wanted it or reason x.

Yet everyone who said it wasn't coming and who said it wasn't needed was wrong.

This BD discussion is very similar, isn't it?
Sure.

The big difference here is that MMS was an established standard, ostensibly obsoleted by e-mail (you may remember that I was one of those "fanboys" who clamored for MMS support), while Blu-Ray is anything but established, having been still-born from a Pyrrhic victory over HD-DVD that left people uneasy enough about replacing their "good enough" DVD standard with a much more expensive format that already left the first generation of players behind before they even got to buy them, and just got shot in the foot with ANOTHER new high-capacity "Blu-Ray" format - oh yeah right, that one's not for consumers. Whew.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the majority of Blu-Ray players sold so far are contained in a PS3.

I seriously doubt that many of those are actually used as Blu-Ray players beyond the token two discs thrown in with the player.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 01:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the majority of Blu-Ray players sold so far are contained in a PS3.

I seriously doubt that many of those are actually used as Blu-Ray players beyond the token two discs thrown in with the player.
Blu-ray is still the primary reason to buy PS3 | News | TechRadar UK

"NPD did note however that the number of PS3 owners watching Blu-ray was higher then PS2 owners watching DVDs at the same point in the console's life cycle.

PS3 buyers using console for gaming over Blu-ray, says NPD

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 01:33 AM

I think Apple will eventually support Blu-ray. I don't think it's about licensing, consumer adoption, or any of the other BS reasons we've heard. I think the real reason is because HDCP is going to necessitate rewriting a few chunks of OSX and Steve would rather use those resources for iOS/world domination.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 02:07 AM

Apple already supports some elements of HDCP - correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think it's that big a technical hurdle; I imagine Blu-ray support can be found in Apple's experimental labs. But as long as consumers aren't demanding it, and as long as Apple doesn't have a good self-interested reason to support it, Blu-ray isn't coming.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Apple already supports some elements of HDCP - correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think it's that big a technical hurdle; I imagine Blu-ray support can be found in Apple's experimental labs. But as long as consumers aren't demanding it, and as long as Apple doesn't have a good self-interested reason to support it, Blu-ray isn't coming.
Well consumers demanded a better Finder. Sure we got almost yearly rewrites, but no real Finder.

Apple was ready to put BD in the current iMac lineup. I'd say it is likely to be there in the next iMac update.

Of course Apple can sit on its laurels for years without doing the right thing. It took them years to offer CD-R on the iMacs.. though that was all the rage back then.

Either way the bottom line is this. Optical media is not dead, it will perhaps never die. BD is coming to the Mac. Soon.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2010, 09:23 AM

The Cyberlink company (PowerDVD) is going to make millions if they port their software to the Mac. It doesn't even need to be a good port.

Forum Links
Forum Rules