Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Strip Clubs

Strip Clubs
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 12:31 PM

Here in Chicago, there's an ordinance where you can't sell alcohol around naked people.

The way clubs get around that is latex pasties and bikinis instead of thongs.

The one club here which tries to cope with that has been targeted by the city for years for not enough latex and thongs.

Supposedly, they stopped being a problem in 2006, but the city is still trying to close them down because of all the time they didn't follow the rules.

Can anyone justify any of this? I don't like strip clubs (they raise my feminist hackles rather than my junk), but this seems like a crazy waste of time and resources.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Can anyone justify any of this? I don't like strip clubs (they raise my feminist hackles rather than my junk), but this seems like a crazy waste of time and resources.
Smaller government!! Moar strip clubs!!
Couldn't resist. I'm an idiot
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2011, 01:01 PM

Think of the children!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 01:31 PM

A somewhat related aside:

Apparently, it was once argued women needed to be protected from going on trains because the high speeds would tear their uteruses out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 19, 2011, 01:33 PM

A somewhat related aside:

Apparently, it was once argued women needed to be protected from going on trains because the high speeds would tear their uteruses out.
You're a TWiT.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 02:07 PM

Takes one to know one.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2011, 02:17 PM

Technically it would be large accelerations not high speeds that would do that if anything would have.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jul 19, 2011, 02:38 PM

I concur, lest the rate at which we hurtle around the sun be the death of us all.
are you lightfooted?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 02:38 PM

It's an example of where the right and the left agree that individual rights need to be ignored.

Strip clubs, as well as most any other instance the "sex industry" don't get much sympathy or attention because of their nature and the issue isn't taken seriously by most (as evidenced by the responses in this thread). To me it is a fundamental issue of rights and those who choose to be in the "sex industry" are treated unfairly.

No, there is no justification for government this, though I suspect that is based upon an evidence-less assumption that if men are around naked women and get drunk, they are gonna go rape or assault someone. You know, guilty until proven innocent just like most other regulations assume.

P.S. No, I don't like strip clubs either. (not for feminist reasons, I don't have any respect for feminist "ideals".)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 03:09 PM

You have stupid regulations like the OP describes because the local governments aren't able to shut the strip clubs down so they go to Plan B and try to impose severe restrictions to limit their appeal. It certainly has nothing to do with safety for the workers. In my neck of the woods the law is essentially the same. Totally nude dancers = No alcohol. For a while there were some clubs that tried the "juice bar" approach ... where the dancers could get naked but the clientele could only buy fruit juice and soft drinks. But it would appear that such an approach had limited appeal both to the clientele and more importantly to the club owners because the money is made selling alcohol. So most of those that even bother to run a strip club are doing the pasty thing with scantily clad but not completely nude dancers now. Of course, that too is a losing proposition when people can just cross the river into the next state and go to clubs that even put Vegas to shame in terms of their regulation.

OAW

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 03:10 PM

We have a strip place here that serves no booze, side effect you can get inside at the age of 18 instead of 19 lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
(not for feminist reasons, I don't have any respect for feminist "ideals".)
Is there some authority which declares what those ideals are? Feminism has a pretty big tent.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
We have a strip place here that serves no booze, side effect you can get inside at the age of 18 instead of 19 lol
We have plenty of those.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 06:17 PM

Feminism has a pretty big tent.
Do I even want to touch this?
Settin em up...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 06:27 PM

No touching!

Pervert.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 06:40 PM

On that note, I've got a couple great stories about touching and strip clubs.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 06:56 PM

I understand that for connoisseurs of such things, strip clubs in Canada are considered vastly superior to American ones, while Mexican ones supposedly top both.

I've only been to one strip club as a patron, and one across several days as a film electrician (we'd work all day there when it was closed, and afterwards, it was the closest place to get shit faced). The first experience wasn't any fun, and the second made me want to blow my brains out.

Now, I've been to a bunch of burlesque shows, and those were all awesome.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 07:27 PM

(as evidenced by the responses in this thread).
I'm not sure that's fair. Sex is funny.

Overall though, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 09:31 PM

I've never found a US strip club yet, not that I have looked hard for one either. Next time im in Seattle im going to have to visit one just to see if its different.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 10:59 PM

Is there some authority which declares what those ideals are? Feminism has a pretty big tent.
You are correct, it is a broad field.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 12:04 AM

You are correct, it is a broad field.

We go to strip clubs every now and then, there's a great one just outside the city limits that serves booze while still being full-nude. I'm not there to get my rocks off, just to laugh and have fun. I can't wait for the day when the idiots of this world realize that they're naked under their clothes, and if they take them off they're still the same person.

"OMG, it's a naked person, throw your hands up in the air and run around in a panic!"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 03:11 PM

Or that there's no problem when someone takes a handful of 00 buck to the chest on TV, but let the Lord smite down those who dare showeth a boob.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 05:15 PM

Or that there's no problem when someone takes a handful of 00 buck to the chest on TV, but let the Lord smite down those who dare showeth a boob.
Its stupid right? In the UK, put sex in a film and it gets an 18 rating yet the age of consent is 16. Presumably the BBFC thinks that 16 and 17 year olds should only ever get busy wearing blindfolds.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its stupid right? In the UK, put sex in a film and it gets an 18 rating yet the age of consent is 16. Presumably the BBFC thinks that 16 and 17 year olds should only ever get busy wearing blindfolds.
It's even more ridiculous there because tabloids show breasts on the front page, but the BBC still believes that it's 1957.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's even more ridiculous there because tabloids show breasts on the front page, but the BBC still believes that it's 1957.
While you aren't wrong, I think you'll find there is more nudity on (mainstream) TV over here than over there.
The BBC is bound by unwritten rules of taste and decency in the same way that Disney is but to a much lesser extent. They still have more nudity and swearing than most US networks as far as I know. HBO being the exception of course.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 07:55 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't know, I don't watch commercial TV. The only channels I watch now are HBO and Showtime, and they're both rather relaxed when it comes to boobies and language.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 08:12 PM

Ah yes. I don't think I watch anything on Showtime but I see plenty from Fox, ABC, USA and one or two others and they are all pretty wholesome compared to a lot of UKTV.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Ah yes. I don't think I watch anything on Showtime but I see plenty from Fox, ABC, USA and one or two others and they are all pretty wholesome compared to a lot of UKTV.
I'd imagine it's in the other direction WRT violence.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 08:31 PM

Feminism may have a big tent, but its most politically-active are decidedly quiet when it comes to the treatment of conservative women. It's often okay to straight, marginalize them for ideological expedience. This suggests their ideals may not need a big tent. Although to your question, I still can't tell you what authority actually makes the declaration.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 08:41 PM

re: the OP

First they came for your cigarettes...
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Feminism may have a big tent, but its most politically-active are decidedly quiet when it comes to the treatment of conservative women. It's often okay to straight, marginalize them for ideological expedience. This suggests their ideals may not need a big tent. Although to your question, I still can't tell you what authority actually makes the declaration.
Can you elaborate on this marginalization?

Note, I don't doubt you for a second, but I'm blanking on anything specific which would demonstrate that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 09:22 PM

re: the OP

First they came for your cigarettes...
Pot. I think you mean pot.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 07:30 AM

Can you elaborate on this marginalization?
The infatuation with Sarah Palin's breasts and the speculation that she got a boob job perpetuated by female editor of Wonkette. Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair speaking of the Republican women who won their primaries (lest we forget one of the core tenets of true feminism) as "wingnuts" and a "blow to feminism". Having won elections against men in their field should not be a "blow to feminism" unless the ideals behind it are decidedly small-tent. Jessica Valenti of feministing.org has made it her life's work at this point to discredit and marginalize Palin, but remarkably silent when leftist champions such as Mark Morford refer to Sarah Palin, Carly Fiorina, and Michele Bachmann as a hydra-headed hellbeast of pseudo-women. Recent commentary on Bill Maher's show in reference to Michelle Bachmann was sick enough to make highschool sophomores blush, yet nary a word from the champions of women's dignity.

It is clear, at least to me, that your ideology must fall in lock-step with a small order of leftist causes not only qualifying a suitable feminist, but womanhood itself.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 08:05 AM

I think the vast majority of criticism of Palin and Bachmann has nothing whatsoever to do with their gender and rightly so. I also cannot fault any feminist who has let this slide when there are more than a few who will defend or attack all sorts of people on issues which are not really related to sexism.

Anyone who saw that weird exchange between Rebecca Watson and Richard Dawkins will know what I mean. He was out of line to say anything at all, it was none of his business but the number of people who called him sexist for comments that were passionately railing against the sexist, degrading and violent treatment of muslim women was shocking and frankly they made themselves look stupid IMO.

I notice no-one is criticising feminists for failing to defend Casey Anthony.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 08:11 AM

I'd imagine it's in the other direction WRT violence.
Yes and no. It depends on the channel/network.

For example Sky Atlantic cut Game of Thrones down to an hour (including ads) for its 9pm primetime slot. I didn't compare so I don't know if they cut it for gore or nudity or both but the showing later on around midnight was 15 minutes longer.
Not sure many people over here noticed that actually.

On the other hand, there was an infamous scene a few years back in a spy drama called Spooks on BBC1 at 9pm where a pretty blonde agent got her face shoved into a deep fat fryer. That got quite a few complaints though.

Then there was an ITV1 edit of Robocop which was just over an hour long. With ads. I wouldn't buy that for a dollar.

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2011, 10:25 AM

Having won elections against men in their field should not be a "blow to feminism" unless the ideals behind it are decidedly small-tent. ....

It is clear, at least to me, that your ideology must fall in lock-step with a small order of leftist causes not only qualifying a suitable feminist, but womanhood itself.
Snide comments aren't limited to the left. I recall a goodly amount of conservative snickering over Clinton's cankles, Ferrara's butchness, etc.

It would be nice if both sides could leave off the name calling and just judge a person based on his/her merits. Unfortunately, we live in a video world where what people look like matters. And if you trade on that, and capitalize on that (beauty queen, magazine centerfold) then that becomes your "merit".

It doesn't help Palin's "feminist" cred when she denies funding for rape victims, etc. I'd say that's a pretty minimum standard for feminism, advocating for women's safety.

Anyway, this isn't a Palin thread, it's a strip club thread. Unless you have some video to share linking the two?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 11:51 AM

Can't decide whether to laugh or thrown a little in my mouth.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 11:52 AM

I keep seeing "Strip Clubs" and "...race to the bottom" next to each other and can't help but think one might be a good tagline for the other.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 11:56 AM

The infatuation with Sarah Palin's breasts and the speculation that she got a boob job perpetuated by female editor of Wonkette. Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair speaking of the Republican women who won their primaries (lest we forget one of the core tenets of true feminism) as "wingnuts" and a "blow to feminism". Having won elections against men in their field should not be a "blow to feminism" unless the ideals behind it are decidedly small-tent. Jessica Valenti of feministing.org has made it her life's work at this point to discredit and marginalize Palin, but remarkably silent when leftist champions such as Mark Morford refer to Sarah Palin, Carly Fiorina, and Michele Bachmann as a hydra-headed hellbeast of pseudo-women. Recent commentary on Bill Maher's show in reference to Michelle Bachmann was sick enough to make highschool sophomores blush, yet nary a word from the champions of women's dignity.
All good examples. You can add Ann Coulter to the list. TBH, since I'm no longer with my ex, who was horribly guilty of this despite (because of?) having a masters in women's studies, I've forgotten about this prevalence.

I've also got to single out Maher. What a disgusting pig. Regrettably, I used to consider myself a fan back in the day. Again, something I've forgotten because I simply stopped watching him.

Whut

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Snide comments aren't limited to the left. I recall a goodly amount of conservative snickering over Clinton's cankles, Ferrara's butchness, etc.
This rings hollow. The conservatives don't claim to care about this issue in nearly the same way, so it really shouldn't be a surprise with them. It is with liberals because it's an issue in which they consider themselves crusaders.

It's the same hollow ring when a Republican gets caught in a sex scandal and they point out Democratic sex scandals in defense. Democrats don't go around preaching strict sexual morality, so saying they exhibit loose sexual morals is hardly damning.

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2011, 03:47 PM

I'm not defending the jerks on either side. I think it shouldn't matter if someone has a boob job or won a beauty pageant... unless it reveals some dishonesty or hypocrisy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 04:27 PM

I didn't think you were. I'm saying their actions should by judged in the context of their policy. An action by one party can be abhorrent, while the same action by the other party might even be expected.

Edit: the hypocrisy thing.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It doesn't help Palin's "feminist" cred when she denies funding for rape victims, etc.
This sounds ghastly no doubt. Do you have a link for this? Not the "etc.", the denial of funding for rape victims.

Anyway, this isn't a Palin thread, it's a strip club thread. Unless you have some video to share linking the two?
If I did, this forum would be the last to know because I'd be busy assuming ownership of it and everyone here.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 06:20 PM

Whut
To be clear, I meant "you" rhetorically, not you specifically. My point was that to be considered a proper feminist, there are very specific ideals you must espouse. In some cases as provided in the examples, you're not even a woman, let alone a feminist.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 06:53 PM

To be clear, I meant "you" rhetorically, not you specifically. My point was that to be considered a proper feminist, there are very specific ideals you must espouse. In some cases as provided in the examples, you're not even a woman, let alone a feminist.
Ahh...

You are absolutely right. It's a one-two gut shot of irony and hypocrisy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules