Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson CX4600: Prints a doc or two fine, then permanently in "Jobs Stopped" mode

Epson CX4600: Prints a doc or two fine, then permanently in "Jobs Stopped" mode
bighead
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 02:21 AM

Last night, with the girlfriend trying to print out a massive school project that was due today, I ran into a rather annoying problem. While trying to print documents to her CX4600, after a couple documents, the thing got stuck in "Jobs Stopped" mode. Go to the desktop printer app, hit "Start Jobs" and it thinks about it for a few seconds, then pops back into "Jobs Stopped". Forever. This is on a 1 GHz 12" Combo with 768 MB RAM running 10.3.6.

I installed the CX4600 driver on my PowerBook, and the same thing happened. After two documents, stuck in "Jobs Stopped" mode. Mine is the one mentioned in the signature. Running 10.3.6.

Her brother never mentioned any problems such as this on his PowerBook. His is a 1.33 SuperDrive 12" on 10.3.6. I don't know if he's now having these problems, but I'll ask. Her parents also used the printer on several Windows boxes without so much as a peep from the thing.

I tried running Printer Setup Repair on both her PowerBook and mine, along with all of the usual suspects for printing issues, to no avail.

Any ideas as to this being a wacky driver issue or a suspect unit?

(and to reply to the poster from Marketplace in my accidental thread, this is using the most recent drivers from Epson's website)
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 12:26 PM

I got a CX4600 this week and I don't find any of these problems. I use the drivers that came in the CDROM. Perhaps you should revert to these old drivers?

Also, I am using a USB 1.1 cable. Is that different from yours?

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 03:51 PM

I have a CX6400 and recently ran into EXACTLY the same problem and frustration. It turned out to be an ink level issue. The LCD had been displaying "Black Ink Low", but apparently the ink actually ran out, with no indication of that. I turned the printer off, and on restart, the Black Ink Out indication appeared. I replaced the cartridge, and the Jobs Stopped problem disappeared. Hope you're as lucky.

bighead  (op)
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 04:27 PM

I got a CX4600 this week and I don't find any of these problems. I use the drivers that came in the CDROM. Perhaps you should revert to these old drivers?

Also, I am using a USB 1.1 cable. Is that different from yours?
I have reverted to the CD-ROM drivers as well and the same problem occurred.

I have a CX6400 and recently ran into EXACTLY the same problem and frustration. It turned out to be an ink level issue. The LCD had been displaying "Black Ink Low", but apparently the ink actually ran out, with no indication of that. I turned the printer off, and on restart, the Black Ink Out indication appeared. I replaced the cartridge, and the Jobs Stopped problem disappeared. Hope you're as lucky.
I suppose it could be low ink, since my gf's brother was printing a lot of photographs, but each time we got it to print, it printed fine with no banding or indication that the ink was low. The Epson utility also connected to the printer just fine (I'm assuming it was fine) and reported ink levels all above 75% for each color. Who knows though. I would hate to spend almost $80 on ink for a new printer to have it not work.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 10:47 AM

FWIW, I had a similar problem with my Canon S520. Neither Canon nor Apple would accept responsibility. No amount of permission repair, etc. would fix it. However, recently, through much trial and error testing, I have narrowed the problem down to a cache problem. I find that when it quits like that, if I run a cache cleaner (Panther Cache Cleaner, or the like), it starts to work just fine. Perhaps that could have something to do with your problem. Just a shot in the dark!

Good luck!
Mary

Forum Links
Forum Rules