Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > PPOE errors

PPOE errors
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 05:58 AM

I'm not sure if my airport extreme (wireless-n flavor) is giving me problems. Recently I'm getting errors that the airport base station cannot find the PPOE server. I've not made any changes and its a pain to try to get it back. I'm working off my dsl gateway now to see if this is the cause, the problem crops up overnight so when I access the net in the AM, it appears for about five minutes then it goes south.

anyone hear of a similar problem with AEBS? As I mentioned I'm not sure if that's the culprit as I'm trying to narrow down the cause.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2008, 09:48 AM

Who's your ISP? Maybe they started dumping PPPoE connections that are idle overnight. Do you get it back after a while? What do you have to do to get it back?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2008, 10:13 PM

One of the major drivers behind PPPoE is that it does allow for transient networks to come and go as they see fit: as a user, you should know nothing of this but clearly in this case you do. Can you connect your Mac directly to whatever DSL hardware you have without the base station and see how this behaves? Being "unable to reach the PPP server" suggests something wrong at layer 2 in your DSL to ISP connection, more than an issue (IMHO) with your wireless network / AEBS.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 09:07 AM

I think I found the problem.

I had the airport software loaded on one of my PCs that got corrupted or failed to function properly. It seemed that when I put that specific computer to sleep, then woke it up. I constantly got prompted to enter my DSL ID/password. Once uninstalled the software, the problem went away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules