Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Lost a lot of my icons

Lost a lot of my icons
slider
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2002, 04:10 PM

OK, this is actually for a computer at work that I have worked on. I was having all kinds of problems with the memory so I zapped the pram and rebuilt the desktop. Since then I have lost most of the icons and it appears that for some of those icons the applications must be launched or the document (for instance) will not open, and displays a message say that the application that created it could not be found. OK, I got the idea, something had been deleted or/and links lost. The question is how do I restore the icons and re-establish the links. Oh, and I also delete the system preferences in an attempt to correct the memory problem (I did correct the problem, but I am not sure what did it because I did it all without checking if it fixed the problem one at a time, bad habit of mine, throw everything at it and see what happens). If I need to re-establish the links one at a time how would I do it.

thaxs

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2002, 05:07 AM

Rebuilding the desktop file is specifically supposed to fix this. I find many times, however, that I will actually loose icons after that.

The normal thing I do to fix this is to run norton disk doctor. One of the steps it does it correct BNDL bits, which (I believe) is what actually will correct it. Then you will need to rebuild the desktop after this.

As a general rule now I acually always run norton disk doctor BEFORE rebuilding the desktop file...

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Bobby:
<STRONG>Rebuilding the desktop file is specifically supposed to fix this. I find many times, however, that I will actually loose icons after that.

The normal thing I do to fix this is to run norton disk doctor. One of the steps it does it correct BNDL bits, which (I believe) is what actually will correct it. Then you will need to rebuild the desktop after this.

As a general rule now I acually always run norton disk doctor BEFORE rebuilding the desktop file...</STRONG>
Norton disk doctor is a good go like Bobby said... Also, did you turn off extensions when you rebuilt the desktop? Usually it doesn't matter, but problems have been known to occur when the desktop is rebuilt and some conflicting extensions are loaded. Simply hold down shift+option+command keys when you restart... and you can release the shift key once the startup screen says "Extensions Disabled," as usual. This may or may not fix things, but you should run Disk Doctor (and even apples Disk First Aid first) anyway.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules