Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sound volume doesn't stay on MacOS 9.2.2 & iMac/266 Lime

Sound volume doesn't stay on MacOS 9.2.2 & iMac/266 Lime
faddah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2002, 08:05 PM

hi all,

have an old iMac/266 lime flavor, still running like a champ with MacOS 9.2.2, 160 mb ram, hfs+, etc.

one problem -- i can't get the volume on sound control panel to stay up. it keeps reverting back to 1/4 of the total overall volume.

when i open the control panel, say with something playing on iTunes, i can raise the volume and it does sound louder, but the moment i switch to some other application window, the sound volume jumps right back down to that 1/4 mark level. if i open the sound control panel, raise the volume on the slider and then immediately close the control panel, the sound goes up, than a second later jumps right back down.

this happened with MacOS 9.2.1, so i tried upgrading to 9.2.2, and updating the hard disk drivers, etc., to fix it. didn't work -- still have the same problem.

i have also tried deleting the sound prefs. and restarting, to no avail. on restart, i went into the sound control panel (not the iTunes volume slider -- thanx for mentioning that, but i don't have the two confused). the volume level was *still* down to 1/4 of total volume. i tried resetting the volume slider in the sound control panel to full volume, switched to finder, switched back to the sound countrol panel -- boom, it's back at 1/4 total volume.

any ideas here? any help would be much appreciated.

thanx,

-- 'faddah' steve wolf
����portland, oregon
����[email protected]

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2002, 11:57 PM

I had the same problem but I'm buggered if I can remember what I did to fix it.

Guesses:
PRAM reset might help
Digidesign Protools free installed (can "take over" your sound options)

ah, I'll give it more thought for ya and come back with a decent post.....

faddah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2002, 03:36 AM

actually, it's o.k., i got it figured out, kinda mostly --

i tried someone else's suggestion of deleting the system, finder, macos and sound prefs., restarting, and i even zapped the pram again just to be safe. on re-start, i launched sound, raised the volume to full, switched to finder, switched back -- boom, same problem all over again, it went back down to the smaller 1/4 volume. {{groan!}}

so i then bit the bullet and did the unthinkable, went into extensions manager and loaded only apple extensions. on restart -- whaddya know, worked like a charm. ugh! a dreaded old extension conflict i must now hunt down. sickening, as i have so many of them & cdevs. but at least my network stuff works (which is why i'm able to write this to you now).

thanx for the help, in any case.

sincerely,

-- 'faddah' steve wolf
portland, oregon
[email protected]

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2002, 08:42 PM

Ah, extensions troubleshooting - have fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules