Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.2.2 DNS problem - help?

9.2.2 DNS problem - help?
shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 04:34 AM

Hasd anyone experienced difficuolties in getting OS 9.2.2 to resolve a DNS name? Basically I have machines running 9.0.4, 9.1 (and X) which can resolve this particular name just fine, but 9.2.2 cant.

The name is an internal Exchange server on our company network, on the machines with 9.2.2 I can't connect to the server, on the other machines I can, further investigation showed that I cant even resolve the name using IPNet Monitor, let alone get the Outlook client to connect.

It seems that 9.2.2 has a new version of Appleshare Client, this is probably what is causing the problem, does anyone know of any workarounds/fixes?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>Hasd anyone experienced difficuolties in getting OS 9.2.2 to resolve a DNS name? Basically I have machines running 9.0.4, 9.1 (and X) which can resolve this particular name just fine, but 9.2.2 cant.

The name is an internal Exchange server on our company network, on the machines with 9.2.2 I can't connect to the server, on the other machines I can, further investigation showed that I cant even resolve the name using IPNet Monitor, let alone get the Outlook client to connect.

It seems that 9.2.2 has a new version of Appleshare Client, this is probably what is causing the problem, does anyone know of any workarounds/fixes?</STRONG>
AppleShare is irrelevant since TCP/IP and AppleTalk are two separate beasts.

Can you resolve ANY DNS, or is it just a specific DNS address you can't resolve.

If you can't resolve any addresses it's almost certainly something wrong in your TCP/IP setup. Check the TCP/IP control panel and compare it to the other machines, especially in the 'name server' field.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Cipher13
Apr 18, 2002, 03:21 AM

Is this problem local, remote, or both?

If local, do you happen to have any 3Com routers on the network?

shortcipher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
<STRONG>

AppleShare is irrelevant since TCP/IP and AppleTalk are two separate beasts.

Can you resolve ANY DNS, or is it just a specific DNS address you can't resolve.

If you can't resolve any addresses it's almost certainly something wrong in your TCP/IP setup. Check the TCP/IP control panel and compare it to the other machines, especially in the 'name server' field.</STRONG>
No its just this particular name, everything else network related (email, web etc) on this machine works just fine, TCP/IP is identical to that of other machines running 9.1 (it did occur to me to check that _before_ posting onto the forums.)

In reply to Cipher, no we dont have any 3com routers, we did a test, with an iMac running 9.0.4 side by side with the G4 running 9.2.2, both were plugged into the network in exactly the same way (using the same socket) and both had absolutely identical TCP/IP settings (DHCP if it makes any difference), the result? the 9.0.4 machine can do it, the 9.2.2 machine cant.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2002, 07:03 PM

I don't know why it would do that but an idea I can think of would be to create a hosts file with the DNS for the name in it. This won't work, however, if the IP it links to is dynamic...

There is info about hosts file around ResExcellence, if you want to explore the option...

shortcipher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Bobby:
<STRONG>I don't know why it would do that but an idea I can think of would be to create a hosts file with the DNS for the name in it. This won't work, however, if the IP it links to is dynamic...

There is info about hosts file around ResExcellence, if you want to explore the option...</STRONG>
no, that doesnt make any difference either, I can now confirm over half a dozen machines running 9.2.2 that exhibit this problem, so I think I can rule out any localised machine specific problems as well.

We tried phoning Apple, but they werent interested, they reckoned it might be a problem with the software we were using to perform the test! (IPNetMonitor), this is not the case because the problem isnt limited to that piece of software

Forum Links
Forum Rules